A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brown Paper Bag, Acrylic Craft Paint  (Read 1581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rikkig
« on: February 01, 2010 09:25:12 AM »

I guess this could be considered a general "paint" question, but:
Essentially, I'm block-printing onto brown paper lunch bags.  They are going to be inserts inside various media (mainly cassette tapes), so they will be touched at least a little and need to hold up relatively well.
I don't want to get speedball ink because I am cheap, and I don't want to have to invest in the retarder stuff, and all that.  I'm not convinced that it would work for my needs, it gets dry fast and otherwise doesn't play well with others.
It also needs to be relatively washable, because the material I cut the stamp into is kind of touchy.
So what I'm asking is, do you think that just regular craft/acrylic paint would kind of...wear off of brown paper?  It doesn't seem like the paper soaks up ink as much as the ink sits on its surface, and I'm worried that the art would wear off really quick, which would be really bad.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andybear
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010 09:49:13 AM »

Some brown paper bags have some sort of coating on them so I can see why the ink just sits on the surface. Have you tried just buying that uncoated brown paper (usually comes on big rolls) its also very cheap and might work better than the bags. Now i'm not sure about the lasting power of the acrylic paint because I have never printed with it and would be a little weary. You can skip out on the retarder all it does is speed up drying time so if you have a place to let it dry for a day or so you will be fine.

I hope that helps I bit. I rarely use water soluble inks so I can't recommend any good ones. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010 09:33:42 AM »

What about rubber stamping ink? There is something called Staz On that is pretty permanent - I used it on vellum & it's supposed to hold up. It comes in lot's of colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MIoCrafts
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010 09:56:10 AM »

Hi, new to posting (longtime lurker, hope I'm not being annoying). 
Are you making artwork for a new cassette recording or using cassettes as holders for other things?  Just curious, we love tapes in my house - and nothing is cooler than a handmade mixtape cover. 

I think acrylic paint would work, as long as it isn't watered down.  The only touching issue I can think of would be thick paint cracking, so thinner layers might work better.  Also, your question reminded me of an artist I don't personally know but happily stumbled across and bookmarked - fantastic paintings on paper bags, his statement says it's acrylic paint. 
 http://www.bagpainter.com/index.htm 

Hope that helps, Laci
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myideaoffun.org!  Images, Words, Music and more!!
thekidsloveit
The Missy-nator

Yes!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010 08:23:30 AM »

By the way, retarder doesn't speed up acrylic drying time, it slows it down. Acrylics can dry in a few minutes if you're working in a dry (non humid) area. Retarders are definitely to way to go if you're going to use acrylic paint to block print, though, because otherwise your ink bed will dry up before you've had time to make 2 prints.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Richard Snow Reveals His Book a Measureless Peril
Jane Costello Talks About Her Novels
Author Joe Monninger Talks About His Life
Writer Chris Eboch Explains Haunted
Personal Trainer Bob Greene Talks About His Book
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...