A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: darning foot rubbing on needle screw post  (Read 994 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mangomerle
« on: February 01, 2010 09:22:06 AM »

I wasn't sure if I should put this here in Quilting or over in Needlework. Needlework seemed to be more hand stitching related so I put it here. Also couldn't find anything that seemed helpful doing a Craftster search for darning or embroidery foot.

I have a Bernina Bernette 65. I bought 2 additional feet for it last summer; a gathering foot and a darning/embroidery foot. I love the freedom that freemotion stitching gives me, but I'm having an issue with my foot. The eBay store I purchased from and the package that my foot arrived in both indicated that this foot was for use with my Bernette, but part of the foot is hitting my needle assembly and I don't want to damage anything rubbing metal on metal.

This is the foot on the machine per the assembly instructions it came with. Presser foot in lowered position and needle down.

This is with the presser foot still in lowered position but with needle 1/2 up. You can see where that part of the darning foot that sticks out is hitting the screw post for the needle. The metal is starting to wear on both already just from a couple small projects (maybe 2 hours' use of the foot, total). It also tends to loosen my needle and I have to constantly check to make sure the screw is re-tightened otherwise the needle comes out completely or breaks or bends, scaring the bajeezes out of me and making me fear for my fingers.

Presser foot still in lowered position (raised position it still rubs I just didn't think I needed pics with the foot raised also), needle in full raised position. This lifts the eye of the darning foot up from the fabric completely. Is it supposed to come off the fabric like that? Huh

Is anyone familiar with Bernette machines and has a darning foot like this? Do I have the foot installed improperly?

Do I just have the wrong foot altogether? If so, do you know anywhere I can get the correct darning foot for cheap? I really want to use the freemotion capability of my machine, but I don't have a job right now so don't have cash to spend on things that aren't really necessary.

Could I cut off the part of the foot that rubs on the screw post and still have a functioning foot? I see a lot of darning foot designs online that just have a clear foot with a spring. What is the purpose of that post part of the foot on mine that sticks out?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 09:24:04 AM by mangomerle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010 10:39:25 PM »

I have a spring action foot like this.  If I understand what you are asking, try watching how it works while you hand crank your machine.  The screw post that sticks out might be the key to this type of foot being able to work.  With mine, when the needle goes up, the foot is lifted with it to allow the free motion.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
mangomerle
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010 11:48:14 AM »

Is the darning foot supposed to lift off of the fabric completely? If so then I think that is the key to how the foot operates and I"ll have to figure out some way to deal with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sbanks156
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010 01:33:38 PM »

Make sure your needle is in the correct position. I believe that this has to rest there in order for the darning foot to work correctly. I use Husky and singer machines and my Gammill long arm quilter.

Sometimes if the timing of the machine is off this will also cause problems with the needle bar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Gingerbread
Greek Frozen Yogurt at Culture in Brooklyn
Kid-Friendly Blueberry-Yogurt Pops Recipe
How to Make a Giant Skillet Cookie
In Season Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...