A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: J Darko , or epic *300* circles  (Read 20778 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scarfish
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010 07:13:18 PM »

i rarely comment on anything but that dress is too amazing not to!!! i've always wanted to go bowling in a prom dress but i can't get anybody to go with me, so you should do it! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010 07:27:54 PM »

LOVE this...the colour is so lovely on you!  How did you fabricate the skirt--are the circles sewn onto a base?  Also, did you hem the circles each by hand or machine?

Each circle is 2 pieces sewed then flipped the ironed flat .. and they are attached to a base skirt .. that's pretty much a slightly gathered square

WOW!!!!
I am surprised you didn't go mental sewing in circles then having to turn them right-side out and press them!!!!
You need a big Sunday going to church hat to go with it-specially to go bowling!

Love it!

Ha Ha I know a great store that sales those church Hats and awesome shoes .. I got a good excuse to go there now  Smiley

i rarely comment on anything but that dress is too amazing not to!!! I've always wanted to go bowling in a prom dress but i can't get anybody to go with me, so you should do it! Grin

LOl My friends are used to me being dressed Crazy  Grin it didn't seem weird to them at all .. I did tell My bf that I wanted to go to prom so I could wear it lol

I love it! The color looks gorgeous on you too.

My only thought would be to take off the black straps and replace them with a different fabric (as I'm assuming it's too heavy to stay up strapless.) Maybe a lace that is a similar color to the rest of the dress? I find the black straps to be a bit distracting.

Your right I definitely wanna make a different strap actually the black one is just safety pined on to hold it up for now  Wink

Wow..... what I want to know is if you have ever tried out for Project Runway?  I see your work posted here, and I see some of the things done by the contestants there and just wonder how in the world they won a spot, or a challenge, etc. etc.

I know a soap box, and probably the wrong place to post (sorry folks).  But I have been on this soapbox since last night when I caught the tail end of a movie and happened to see the costumer credits.  Right up on top of the list was the contestant that won last week's competition.  I just like the idea of the competition being for those that haven't already made a name in the business.

I think your creations rock!!!!

Ive never tried out for project runway although I really want to I can never seam to find out how to apply ?? its very confusing lol I'm always to late for the season they are doing ugh I would love to try out ... but it is kind of discouraging to see that people who are already in the business are using the competition .. I thouhgt it was supposed to be to help unknown designers get started too ..... any way

Thank you all so much for the positive feed back I'm really glad you guys like it . I put a lot of work into it and its nice to know it shows  Smiley I love how it reminds so many of you of different things " Rainbow trout " Peacocks " Mermaids "  Grin My Bf thinks it looks like feathers and a friends told me it was like a flower from Alice in wonderland  Grin while making it I seen alot of different things even a pineapple and a bunch of grapes which inspres me to make a bunch of fruit dresses lol .....

Thanks again  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlheran

Jack of all trades

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010 09:49:56 PM »

LOVE the blue scales! I can't even imagine all the work that went into it, but it was totally worth it. Also, you totally need to take some pics bowling in it -that would be awesome!  Grin

I love it way more than the white Darko version which, um, I may be weird for saying so, but it totally looks like condoms to me. Something about the raised edge on all the circles and the translucency. Which would be an interesting material/concept, but... ew, lol. So again, blue satin = awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010 10:59:59 PM »

LOVE the blue scales! I can't even imagine all the work that went into it, but it was totally worth it. Also, you totally need to take some pics bowling in it -that would be awesome!  Grin

I love it way more than the white Darko version which, um, I may be weird for saying so, but it totally looks like condoms to me. Something about the raised edge on all the circles and the translucency. Which would be an interesting material/concept, but... ew, lol. So again, blue satin = awesome!

lol I have seen a dress made from condoms for a contest and It really did look like the white  one ... check out the link http://marissaaross.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/condom-dress-02.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lauraavery
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010 11:40:41 PM »

thats so preety suits your colourign perfetly, i take it you made the back peice too? is that machine smocked? if so how exactly do you do machine smocking? many thanks but theres not a lot of info i can find about it..wonderful stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riechan
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2010 06:43:45 AM »

very cool! your patience must be enormous !
So how much circles are sewn on? you've got me curious!
I think about 300 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
threehang
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2010 11:43:38 AM »

i'm hitting this rocks - your seriously talented and this dress is amazing. i want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kissthegirl
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2010 05:41:29 PM »

SO how many circles are there!?!?! My guess is 450? I love all of your work, but this is my favorite!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

someone once told me there's nothing wrong with wanting a fairy tale... everyone lives happily ever after.
Babyatrix
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010 09:20:28 PM »

Cheesy I love this! Good job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2010 10:46:34 PM »

Thanks again everyone for the great feedback , I'm really glad everyone likes the color .. I don't usually wear blue ...but I'm happy I went with it on this  Cheesy.

and the WINNER is ......Riechan ..... with the exact guess 300 !  Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin :lol...

it seems like 300 circles would have made a bigger dress lol Wink the white S Darko gown must have had 3000
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 5/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 7/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 3/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 4/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 16/19
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...