A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,346
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dehydrator love with instructions  (Read 7107 times)
Tags for this thread: dehydrator  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DebsGardens
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010 10:49:24 AM »

Excellent post!  I use my dehydrator all the time and love the dried fruits as snacks instead of chips or cookies.  I always make a quick check of the clearance produce at the grocery store for good deals on fruit that needs to be sold and then just come home and dry it all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010 11:17:22 AM »

Great idea to buy produce at its peak and do a lot of drying at once!

I've been making homemade fruit leather in my oven.  (I don't have a dehydrator.)  I line my cookie sheets with parchment paper, because the thought of heating up plastic wrap in my oven oogs me out, even though supposedly it won't melt at super low temps.  I put my oven on a super low temp (maybe 150 degrees) for a few hours, then turn off the oven, leave the door closed till it's not tacky to the touch anymore.  I especially love the fruit leather with some pureed banana in it!

I really should try making some apple rings and stuff.  it would be fun to have a whole stash of dried fruits without spending a fortune.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSSchulte
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010 01:40:53 PM »

I love dried fruit. Nutritionally speaking it's the next best thing to frozen, but some fruits don't freeze well.

My dehydrator came with trays for fruit leather. I like most fruits dried just like they come from nature, except pears. I always have to boil them in honey water and make a syrup before they are good dried.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010 04:36:06 PM »

I did try the oven before I bought the dehydrator, but it costs a packet that way and the fruit texture and flavour is way different, I even had a few batches spoil before they dried properly.

A solar dehydrator would work great IF you have the sun to do it. You could then use it as a seed raising box for winter.....I planned on making one but.....you know what they say about best laid plans.

If anyone knows how to make crunchy banana chips I would love to heard it, I like the ones you buy but I am wary as to how much garbage is in them.....

on a side note, I am now sick to death of apples etc  Grin I have been drying for a week straight and have bottles and containers all through my pantry full of fruit leather and apple chips.

Still at least I have them.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010 09:20:54 PM »

Now I want a dehydrator Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deliberatemess
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010 09:27:21 PM »

I love my dehydrator, too! This is a great post. You can also check out raw and living food cookbooks from the library and learn lots of other recipes you can make using a food dehydrator - pizza's, veggies burgers, chips, flatbreads, even desserts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cookielynn
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010 10:58:07 AM »

I've been wanting to take the plunge and buy a small dehydrator. I LOVE fruit leather, but it is just so expensive. Maybe if I pare down the semi-useless appliances I've collected over the years...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

beechbaby
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010 11:56:34 AM »

You can also do this by laying out the food on trays and letting it air dry if you live in the right climate. We're in FL right now and I've made peach leather by pureeing the fruit, spreading it on baking sheets and air drying it for 3 days or so. It takes a LOT of patience not to keep tasting it (and I'm talking about me...we don't have any kids living with us!) but it is worth the wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NashvilleAwesome
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010 02:39:27 PM »

So, I'm really looking for a way to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my life. Pardon my skepticism, but is dehydrated food especially... tasty? Be honest! And recipes appreciated Wink
-Casey Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010 09:38:11 PM »

yes it is tasty, if you use sweet fruit to start with then the end result is sweet, as the sugars are more concentrated because the liquid is dried out of it.

as for recipes, your imagination is the limit and fruit or vegetable can be dried out, some taste better then other it is all trial and error as to what you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change People Clothing with Photoshop
Create Realistic 3D Models with Google SketchUp
How to Remove Facial Blemishes in Photoshop - Photo Editing Tips
How to Get Transitions to an IDVD Slideshow
How to Make a Collage in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...