A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrub Tops Need Help!!  (Read 2208 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

robyn0922
« on: January 30, 2010 09:35:33 PM »

I am trying to sew some scrub tops for my daughter.  Can anyone show me a tutorial on how to do the v-neckline?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherry Bomb!
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb!

I didn't do it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010 03:36:38 PM »

Do you have a pattern or are you making them from scratch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Which voice in your head should you keep alive?
Cherry Bomb!
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb!

I didn't do it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010 04:06:19 PM »

Here is a basic idea of how it works. I hope it helps. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

robyn0922
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010 09:07:01 PM »

Hi CHerry Bomb,  I have bought several patterns with different neckline versions, but she is built like her dad, wide across the shouldlers, thick through the middle with no butt.  She simply does not come close to fitting a womens plus size pattern.  Her measurements are 56-57-55.  If it fits in one area, it doesn't fit in another.  I can generally read and follow a patterns, but I am no good at tailoring a pattern to fit her.  My most recent attempt was to take apart one of the store bought scrubs she has that fits well and use that for a pattern.  Somehow it ended up much bigger and I had to take it in at the sides and re set the sleeves.  The directions on the patterns for sewing the v-neck facing are so darn confusing. I can't figure out how to sew the point of the v-neck facing onto the shirt.  I know it has to be a simple thing that I am just  not seeing.  A suggestion I found on line had  cutting out my own bias tape, removing the seam allowance on the neckline and putting the bias tape over that, and that worked somewhat, but now the neckline looks stretched out and doesn't lay flay.  I think it may have something to do with removing the seam allowance and not overlaping the front facing pieces.  My daughter has gone out and bought 2 really cute pieces of material for 2 tops, but I am afraid to cut into them until I can get it right.  I am practicing on sheets for now.  I will try to do as you suggest and see how that goes.  I will let you know.  Thanks for the help. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherry Bomb!
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb!

I didn't do it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010 07:33:19 AM »

The bias tape usually does work well, though I would definitely make sure to use new bias tape, as any that was pulled from another garment will have stretched to fit the shape of that garment and look odd when you try to salvage it. My old roommate was shaped exactly like your daughter, it sounds like, and I had similar problems when trying to make scrub tops for her. I would try a men's or unisex pattern if you can find it, because with scrubs the only difference between mens and womens is that some women's patterns have bust darts to make them look a little more feminine. She may not need those.

I know that you used to be able to get a Sew Easy pattern from walmart that I used, it was very easy to follow and was unisex, so the sizes ranged from about a women's medium to a men's 2XL. Also, if you can get it to fit in the shoulders, its pretty easy to tailor the sides, or you can use a simple trick of making a length of "ribbon" (take two bias strips of the fabric you're using, or a contrasting one if you want, about 1.5 times the width of the top, fold it in half length wise, then fold the outside edges in lengthwise and iron flat. Sew along the long edge, then fold one short end under twice and hem. Then you can attach it in the side seam approximately at the bust line or about an inch below.) That way she can tie it in the back, which will give it a bit of a gather and look more fitted and pretty.

I hope that helps. If you need me to I can make a diagram of how to make the bias strips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluttermuffin
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013 08:24:15 AM »

going to try making some scrub tops and this info helps a lot...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use The Color Corrector - Final Cut Pro
How to Use Supreme Tracking - Final Cut Pro
How to Get Smooth Cam Results - Motion 3
How to Create Advanced Time Remapping - FCP 6
How to Make Good Green Screens for Under a Dollar
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...