A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looks so dirty, feels (and smells!) SOOO good!  (Read 2907 times)
Tags for this thread: body_scrub  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2010 12:11:00 PM »

I made a new body scrub!  I was eating a fresh orange from my tree this morning and it smelled so good that I started thinking about orange soap, orange potpourri for the stove, and all kinds of other orange related things.  I was too tired/lazy/broke to really try anything I didn't already have the supplies and knowledge to make, so I of course reverted back to my favorite bath time treat - a sugar scrub.

Usually I use almond oil.  Today, I was out of it...and broke...and lazy...(lol)...so I used some really pure extra olive oil I had on hand. I didn't measure how much I used, but it was probably only about a three of four tablespoons. Honestly, I didn't notice too much of a difference between the two oils, to tell the truth, but I would still prefer to use almond oil next time just because it feels more proper.

I also used the juice of half an orange (which is why I didn't need much oil, the orange was really juicy) and about six drops of clear vanilla extract that I had on hand.

For the sugar, I used half a cup of regular white sugar and half a cup of brown sugar.   I like the exfoliating aspect of the white better than the brown, but I love the way brown sugar smells, so this was the perfect compromise!

It smelled like some heavenly bakery had taken over my bathroom and kitchen!  It kind of reminded me of cookies or biscuits with orange marmalade on them...yummy.

I had a small empty glass jar left over from some Knott's Berry Farm jelly I got on sale.  It was the perfect size for this amount of sugar scrub.

One other note before I put the pictures in and shut up - my skin is super dry, and super sensitive to everything.  This scrub not only does not irritate my skin, it leaves enough moisture behind that I only have to use a small amount of baby oil after I dry off.  Be careful if your skin is naturally on the oil side, or if you don't like to feel a tad bit slippery after your shower.  Smiley  I do use this scrub on my face, but afterward I used a wet wash cloth to kind of rub off the extra oil.

Okay, this is the view from the top (of the jar, lol):

See what I mean in the title?  The brown sugar and the oil make it look a little...dirty.  My daughter thought it was dirt in a jar.

Here are a few glory shots...

And that's all there is to show!  C & C always appreciated, thanks for looking!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
starsthatclear

I don't want to die without any scars.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010 02:39:43 PM »

I bet that smells delicious. mmm, orange brown sugar, sounds like a really good soap combo or exfoliating sugar cube.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Its not living alone if you keep a rifle under your bed.

The higher the fauxhawk, the closer to god.
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010 09:21:55 PM »

Seriously, it smells amazing.  After I got out of the shower and got dressed my kid came in the house and sat down by me, then sniffed my arm and accused me of hiding cookies!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010 12:05:44 PM »

Sounds like a good scent combo!

I would definitely keep it in the fridge, if you don't use it up quickly the juice may cause it to mold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010 12:37:24 PM »

That's what I was thinking too Mare.  Although, truth be told, I used about half of it yesterday in one shower alone, so I'll probably use the rest of it within just a few more showers, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010 12:40:35 PM »

Oh yeah, if you're using it up that quickly it should be fine! I bet the alpha hydroxy or whatever in the juice is good for your skin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010 01:11:58 PM »

Usually, I have to put some kind of oil or lotion on every morning (seriously, my skin is freakishly dry, it's horrible) or else I feel all itchy and tight all day.  Something in that scrub is working so well that I didn't have to use a drop of anything on my skin this morning!  I really am thinking it's the orange juice, because that's the only thing I've never put in one of my scrubs before.

I was afraid the orange would be drying or something, but I think you are right...the alpha hydroxy or whatever is in the juice IS really good! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010 12:32:10 PM »

This definitely is something that smells good. It doesnt really look dirty dont worry.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
snowbird49908

crazy looks good on me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010 02:00:12 PM »

*drools*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All That I'm After Is A Life Full Of Laughter
As Long As I'm Laughing With You
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011 06:56:07 AM »

I made a variation of this (just olive oil, white and brown sugar with a couple drops of fragrance oil) and LOVED it!! I love how soft and smooth it made my skin feel. The only issue I have is when I get out of the shower, keeping my hair from picking up too much of the oil since it's already prone to oiliness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make 2 Sweet and Savory Brunch Dishes
Comfort Food: Hearty Farro, Sausage & Kale Stew
How to Make Smooth Gravy
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits
Try The Grass Whopper: Restaurant Offering Bug Filled Burger
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...