A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Perfect Summer Purse seen in Country Marketplace  (Read 735 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

princess*of*capri
« on: April 28, 2005 07:11:44 PM »

So I am fairly new to knitting and maybe this is really obvious and I am just to dim to catch on, but anyway. So my mother got this magazine the other day and saw this bag, and now she wants it for mother's day. The pattern is kind of weird, but once again could just be me. So the pattern keeps saying to knit one row (turning row) continue in pat. st. til piece measures 7" above turning row. What I don't understand is what is the turning row??? I really hope this makes sense. I don't know if anyone on here ever reads this magazine. It's not really my speed but since my mother gets it I usually flip thru it. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Wists bandwagon!!! http://www.wists.com/princess_of_capri
justlease
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005 06:29:44 AM »

The turning row is when you literally turn your work around when you've been knitting in the round and start kntting in the other direction.  It makes a good place to fold the work. 

I used that technique on a purse I made recently (pattern from Last Minute Knitted Gifts).  The outside of the purse is a cable-like pattern, and the built-in lining is stockinette.  It was done in the round, and when the cable part was done, I had to turn the work around and purl a row  and then continue in stockinette for the same length as the purse for the lining, which then got turned inside the purse (and which you can't see in the photo).

Does that make sense?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tell me, are you a badfish too?

scattered-knitting.blogspot.com
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005 06:31:43 AM »

A "turning row" is usually a single row of purls on the right side of stockinette - this makes the fabric easy to fold in a straight line there.

So if you're working in stockinette, it's k1 row p1 row, to get the turning row, you're going to knit a row that would usually be purled.  This will make the fabric look like this
VVVVV
VVVVV
VVVVV
VVVVV
~~~~    < this is the turning row, it makes a line to fold on.
VVVVV
VVVVV      
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princess*of*capri
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005 12:48:32 PM »

Great!!! Thank you for the info guys. I was thinking that it was probably a fold line but I didn't want to knit the whole thing and find out I was wrong. It's great to know there's all these wonderful knitters who will share their knowledge. Thanks again!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Wists bandwagon!!! http://www.wists.com/princess_of_capri
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How a Comedian Creates Meaningful Career Goals
Matt Ruby on How to Make Personal Connections in a Crowded Room
Thinking Maps Differently
How Standup Comedian Creates and Refines Material
Matt Ruby on Why Standup Comedians Need a Short and Long Game
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...