A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My version of the Memory Quilts (img heavy)  (Read 956 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Unfinished Projects
« on: December 11, 2009 05:31:08 AM »

Earlier this year our family lost my mother-in-law (Sept 30) and my husband's 97 year old grandmother (Oct 13).  When we were at my in-laws house, I asked my father-in-law (he lost his wife and mother within 2 weeks) if I could take some of MIL's clothes so I could make quilts for us.  Little did I know that I'd be adding his mom's clothes to them so soon.

I used my MIL's sweatshirts and t-shirts in the middle of the quilts, and just filled the rest in with squares of the clothes.  I didn't actually quilt them, just tied them with yarn, but I think they turned out very well.  They are going to be Christmas presents for my FIL and our four daughters.  I'm also going to make one for my husband and I, but will wait until after the first of the year.  I used a lot of denim in them, so they are pretty heavy and REALLY warm!

This one is for my FIL (sorry it's not a very good picture):

I just used muslin for the backing on all of them, so the pretty much look the same:

I have an old Elna machine that you can sew letters, so I made these labels to put on each quilt:

#2 - which will go to one of our daughters:

#3 -

#4 -

#5 -

My MIL quilted a lot, so we have a few of her quilts, which are even more special now.  So I saved this to use on our quilt:

At Christmas, we are going to go through her sewing stuff and it will be divided between me and my sister-in-law.  I'll get to bring her Bernina home, so I'm excited about that.

I posted them on my blog and put the link to that on Facebook and I've already been asked by someone to make one for them.  It's a girl I went to high school with - her son had cancer and passed away at 16, so I think I'll do that, just have her pay for the supplies and postage (we are in different states).  

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks!!  Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009 05:55:52 AM by Unfinished Projects » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009 06:22:23 AM »

I think this is wonderful. I'm sure the people who receive these wonderful quilts will love them. It's a very thoughtful and heartwarming thing you've done.

The quilts look great by the way.  Wink Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
tattooedcrafter
I don't need friends, I have teddy bears!!!

Me and My littlest love

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009 07:14:16 AM »

I love this idea, I wish I could have done something like this when my great grandmother passed away in may. I'm sure your FIL woll love it and I hope it brings him comfort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have very limited internet access so if you don't hear from me don't worry I'll be around soon

I'm Full of Unexpected Awesomeness
wists.com/tattooedcrafter
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009 01:46:35 PM »

My Gramma used to quilt like this.  I almost cried when I saw how you tied them.

I love the emotion behind each of them.  It's a wonderful thing that you are doing.

Great work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
Unfinished Projects
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010 05:54:08 PM »

I finished the last of the memory quilts today! This is #6 and for my hubby and I.

I did bring home MIL's Bernina machine, so I used it to make a different label for the back.:

The muslin I used for the back and the flannel for the binding were also some of her fabric that I brought home.

My husband said tonight that we're not going to use it much, which really surprised me, because he says we need to use the quilts we have that our mothers made.  But this one has "sentimental" value, so I think he likes it a lot.

I also received an email from my FIL last month.  He said: "Oh, yes, wanted to tell you how much it means to sleep
under "the quilt" every night.  Thanks  Jyl. "  He's a man of little words, so that was really nice to hear.

I'm glad it's done and REALLY happy to have them all done.  And I got to cross something off my list of Unfinished Projects!!  LOL

There are more pictures on my blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook a Chicken Ramen
How to Prepare Chicken Livers and Cauliflower Puree
How to Cook Grilled Tuna with Green Olive Relish
How to Prepare Bagels With Three Fillings
How to Cook Jambalaya
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...