A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sales Tax  (Read 18496 times)
Tags for this thread: taxes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Serendipity
« on: March 02, 2004 10:40:29 AM »

Okay, I know that these rules will vary by state, but I have a couple of general questions:

1. Is there a minimum gross sales amount before you are required to pay sales tax for your business?

2. If I've already paid sales tax on the materials used to make my products, does that affect the amount of sales tax I need to collect?

3. Once I get my sales tax ID, can I use it at regular stores like Hobby Lobby so that I don't have to pay sales tax on my materials?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leigh
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004 08:21:43 PM »

I'm no expert--still learning myself, but if you know an accountant, that would probably be the best person to ask--at least it was for me.  She answered all my questions.  Like you said, it does vary from state to state, but I know that in Georgia I have to collect sales tax on any sale no matter what gross sales amount I've reached.  If I opened up shop today, sold something for $30 dollars, I'd have to collect 7% tax and report the total sales and tax ammount monthly.  Reporting monthly is a big pain, and I'm not sure if other people actually do it that way or what it's like in other states, but that's what the paperwork I have says to do. And as far as I know, the fact that you paid sales tax to buy supplies doesn't have anything to do with you collecting sales tax.  For the last question, I think your tax ID only helps you in the wholesale arena.  Hobby Lobby is retail only as far as I know, so you'd still be subject to sales tax and you wouldn't get a discounted rate, but you can sometimes use your tax ID to set up wholesale reationships or attend shows like the mart as a buyer.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004 07:41:34 AM »

i could be totally wrong since i personally haven't looked into yet, but i was told you don't pay until you sell $500. in florida anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plainmabel
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004 03:56:55 PM »

simply, are you thinking of income tax?

I think with sales tax in most states you're required to collect it (from in-state customers) and pay it no matter the amount you sell (in fact you usually have to file a form even if you don't collect any, once you've got your tax info filed).  But the way you go about paying it differs from state to state.  For example, here in MA, I only have to pay it once a year b/c I generally don't collect very much (most of my customers are not in MA).

As for retail stores, I've heard that you can fill out a form and they'll keep your tax # on file so you don't have to pay the sales tax when you come in (I guess you have to ask them to look it up for you each time you're at the register?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
simply
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004 07:14:19 PM »

i coulda sworn it was sales tax...but i'm kinda flighty, so it might not be Roll Eyes i haven't gotten around to checking that out for myself yet.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004 07:14:52 PM by simply » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Serendipity
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004 10:52:38 AM »

Thanks for all of your responses -- I also talked to some other people and got some answers:

- My parents' business accountant says that you have to collect sales tax no matter how little you sell.

-Hobby Lobby's accounting department says that I can just bring in a copy of my tax (resale)certificate when I shop at their store and I won't have to pay sales tax on items that will be used in the products that I sell.

-My mom suggested that I just make a bunch of copies of the certificate and carry them with me so that the employees don't have to go look up my info every time I buy supplies.

I hope this info helps some other people, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shaeon

"Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004 01:28:06 PM »

Wow, the employees at your local Hobby Lobby must be on the ball if they actually know what you're talking about with business tax.  At my local HL, they are all minimum wage zombies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
www.sly-eye.com

"Do crafts not drugs!"-Kitty Foreman,That 70s show

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004 01:56:39 PM »

One more thing about a sales tax number - if you plan on selling at craft shows some shows require you have a number.  

Also, there is always a potential that the IRS could show up and ask to see your sales tax number!

I would check out a book called "Jewelry Making for Fun & Profit : Make Money Doing What You Love"  Or something similar.

I have found these books helped me sift through all of the info.

Morgan

P.S. - technically selling on the web you only have to collect sales tax from people who live in your state.  Any good checkout software or PayPal handles that part for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Serendipity
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004 02:25:48 PM »

I didn't actually talk to the employees at my local Hobby Lobby, but I emailed their corporate accounting department (there's a link on the HL website). I was too embarassed to ask in person because I barely know what I'm talking about!  Grin

BTW, I mailed in the application for my sales tax id today -- Yippee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

supercrafty
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004 01:18:22 PM »

-Hobby Lobby's accounting department says that I can just bring in a copy of my tax (resale)certificate when I shop at their store and I won't have to pay sales tax on items that will be used in the products that I sell.

Yes, I do this at Joann's too.  They just type in my number in the register and I don't pay sales tax on items I use to make things I sell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Thanksgiving Centerpieces
Artist Creates Stunning Feather Art
How to Attach Binding Strips Onto a Quilt
About the Expert: Lion Brand Yarn Studio
About the Experts: Cynthia Mann and Melissa Lunden
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...