A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Love Nest: Thinking outside the Box *mature*  (Read 10496 times)
Tags for this thread: papercraft_challenge_18  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 29, 2010 07:43:37 PM »

LOVE NEST: THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX
A papercrafted miniature scene featuring a mini-matchbox, created for the altered matchbox papercrafting contest.

(Update: I've now included links to 3D photos of some elements of this roombox.  Just follow the thumbnails at the very bottom of this post. Smiley )

"Mature" images included.

Here it is!  My first challenge entry ever.  Woo-hoo!  I've had so much fun making this!  (And it took me FOREVER! Solid working for 12 days solid--but it was worth it!)  TA-DA!   Smiley

This room-box represents my husband and our love and life. Smiley

Central to the room is a bookcase, made out of a teeny matchbox (original matchbox size: 1 x 3.5 x 5.25cm) (more about that later).

Off in the hall is a painting of Aphrodite.  My hubby calls me that as a nickname all the time, and is convinced that I'm the goddess of love! lol

In the corner is a picture of a sexy woman (Kate Moss in Prada, actually)--and represents my recent venture into absolutely loving sexuality and love in all of its forms.

To the right is a fireplace, with fire, and a picture of me and my husband over the mantle.  It represents the passion and the love we share, the unity we feel, the flame within each of us that blends together and makes us one.

The bookshelf doors open, so you can see the many books that are on the shelves.  They each represent the love my husband and I share of knowledge, our thirst for intellectual pursuits, the drive that we have to learn.  The intellectual connection that we share is intense and deep.

Interestingly, the bottom shelves of the bookshelf are empty...but then that means that there's always more room to learn and grow!

The top of the bookcase.

View from the side.

But what's this?  A door opens on the side?

What's that in the secret compartment?

to change your image viewing settings please click here

Oh!

to change your image viewing settings please click here

Oh -MY-!   Shocked  If it isn't a few edgy prints of me!  Hidden away in case the neighbors are offended by such things!  Grin And my hubbys favorite picture of the two of us.

And, yes, they are SO a representation of me and my hubby. Wink  Maybe this is why he nicknamed me Aphrodite? lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, now you want to know, where the hell is the matchbox?

The slide-out box is in the top of the bookshelf.

The majority of the sleeve of the matchbox is right below it, in the lower bookcase with doors.

There was a little bit left of the box and so I used that in the fireplace, as the foundation for the pile of coals in the fire.  I covered it in black paper, glued orange beads onto it for coals, glued real fireplace ash on top of that, and inserted the final "pile of coals" onto the floor below the burning wood in the fireplace.

Hard to see, huh?

The wood on the fire is made of paper, covered in hot glue, and while still hot, touched to create texture.  The fire itself is hot glue, with melted crayon in it to give it tint.  The grate is made of paper clips.  The fire tools to the left of the fireplace are made of paper, with paper clip handles.

This is the final copy of my design sheet for the bookcase.  I designed this entirely myself on the computer program Xara.  Each element of the room-box has a complementary design sheet, from the logs on the fireplace to the trim on the walls to the columns.

As per challenge guidelines, almost everything in this room-box was made of paper.

The walls are made out of a lightbulb box broken down and covered in paper from old magazines.

The only items not made of paper are the base, which is an old cigar box, the windows of the bookcase and the actual window itself (both things are made from up-cycled clear plastic tomato cartons), and the elements of the fireplace that Ive already pointed out.

Man, but I definitely embellished the hell out of that matchbox!  And using just paper, too.  I guess that means this fits the requirements of the challenge, even though it turns out I was SO thinking outside the box!

THE END--

NEW 3D Pictures:
Follow the link to each individual image.  Once there, stare at the double photos, slightly unfocusing your eyes, until the two photos merge into one 3D image.  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010 05:03:19 PM by WideEyedLife » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishstix43

Crafting is a state of mind.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010 07:54:10 PM »

*jaw drop*  This is SO amazing!  All the detail and thought that went into it...absolutely beautiful, and absolutely unconventional!  Love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vw69
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010 08:06:19 PM »

This is amazing. Incredibly creative. Thank you for sharing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djsemira
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010 08:48:39 PM »

Gorgeous!!  hitting this rocks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2619558033118165654
Have a look at my documentary about climate change and what people do to alleviate climate change.  won 2nd prize  Earthvisions '98 filmfest, Santa Cruz
Indiana
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010 08:49:21 PM »

omg! Too awesome for words! I can't believe what you've done here! It's absolutely amazing. Fantastic job, truly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010 09:16:22 PM »

truely amazing!

but you might want to tag it with mature content!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010 09:18:14 PM »

wow! I can't even begin to imagine how long this took to make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010 09:30:42 PM »

When I saw the thumbnail on the new projects page, I thought this was going to be a real room! Amazingly detailed, wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010 09:45:55 PM »

Absolutely fantabulous!!!!! I can't even think of what else to say! Just wickedly brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss sarah jane
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010 02:16:44 AM »

That is just. freaking. awesome!   Shocked

So impressed!  How long did it take you all up? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Indoor Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Fireworks Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Dusk/Dawn Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Copy Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...