A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spun to finished photos  (Read 36741 times)
Tags for this thread: handspun  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010 12:57:08 PM »

Yay!!  Thanks so much for starting this, Nesse!!!

I have an oldie I can share for now, and more I'll have to track down later.

This is from one of my first yarns ever, BFL single, spun on a hand spindle and dyed with black cherry kool-aid, then knitted crocheted into a convertible cowl with a drawstring so I can wear it loose or tight.  There are flowers w/buttons at the end of the drawstrings:

Edited: crocheted not knitted.  I can't knit to save my life.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010 01:02:20 PM by nikschaf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
inle_rah
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010 11:04:13 AM »

This is an awesome thread.  Everyone's projects are beautiful.
I just finished my first item made from my own handspun, and am hoping this thread will inspire me to do more work!

Anyway, here's my first project:

My So Called Hat
I don't have a pic of the finished yarn but it's a superwash merino that I dyed, spun and navajo plied. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
Nesse
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010 12:17:11 PM »

wow, super consistent, perfect stripes, I would not have known that was handspun yarn! fabulous hat, what stitch is that?

nik, that looks comfy! I always find it interesting how some people are either knitters or crocheters, and the other craft just does not compute in their minds.

ohh enabling fun - I helped a knitter friend (who was so anti-crochet) learn crochet, and she pumped out four hats over the last week! proud Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010 12:55:15 PM »

I modified the stitch from My So Called Scarf so that I could knit it in the round.
The only bad thing about it is that it is much less stretchy than stockinette would have been, so, though I cast the number of stitches I would normally use for a hat, it is too small for my head. Sad

I both knit and crochet, and love them both!   One thing pretty much led to another. I learned how to crochet as a child, and then had a friend teach me to knit a few years ago, and then had another friend teach me to spin shortly after that, and picked up dyeing....and so on....now I really want to get a loom!  And a drum carder!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010 07:49:08 AM »

I'm about to finish up the socks I'm making from the yarn I spun on my spindle almost two years ago...can't wait! I shall post them very soon. Cheesy

I love what you guys have made! Always love to see handspun FOs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I hang out in: Fiber Arts, Needlework, and the Swap Board!

My Etsy: Illumine Artisan Works
nikschaf
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010 09:07:47 AM »

I love them!  I, too, let my fiber tell me how it wants to be spun, then what creation it wants to become.  I have a fabulous pink/dark blue handspun that I've started 3 projects with ... I'm about to frog the 3rd attempt.  I don't know what it wants to be!!!  Nix on the cell phone purse, nix on the cabled scarf, nix on the smaller simple scarf.

Tonight, I'm going to try it as a drop stitch scarf.  It's for one of my friend's 4 yo twins.  I know the yarn is destined for her.... maybe a hat???  hmmmm

Cyndi -- that's why I barely have any finished objects with my handspun!  I've made a jillion projects, just to find I"m dissatisfied with them, or didn't have enough yardage, or whatever, and then frog them.  I think I love looking at the potential of a skein of handspun yarn, and want to be just as excited about the finished object.  That's why I'm so glad we have this thread, so I can get some inspiration from what other folks make with their handspun.   Smiley

Nesse -- I'm totally digging your hats and your color combos!  It's funny, I actually learned how to knit as a kid before I learned how to crochet, but crochet is what I really enjoy.  With knitting I always seem to drop a stitch or something.  I like crochet cuz it's one stitch at a time.  I did just get some knifty knitters, so I'll try those.  I love the look of knit projects, just don't like the knitting itself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010 05:39:24 PM »

this is the only pic of these two scarfs I have!  One's been sold and the others somewhere in the box for the craft fair Smiley  But!  I did spin the yarn (and I have no idea where the pics of them are... maybe I'll find em yet and add em.)  and Crocheted them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

inle_rah
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010 10:31:08 AM »

Those scarves look so soft and squishy!  Love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010 01:35:59 PM »

I'm on a roll for Christmas presents.  I've knit/crocheted these in the past 9 days. 

Well, the pink/blue/purple did decide to be a hat after all.  So I knit the other twin a hat.  They don't like to wear the same clothes.

This is a set I made for my future DIL for Christmas:

and the matching scarf:

and matching mittens:

socks for my DD

and socks for my mother

A hat for a friend

When I am finished with yarn for a project, I roll it up on an odd ball of yarn.  When it gets big, I start knitting odd hats from it.  These are some examples of those odd hats:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010 02:16:54 PM »

MLF, you are super fast and those are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...