A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,870
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Inserted Eye Ball Tutorial (Pic HUGE)  (Read 7585 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 29, 2010 02:37:10 PM »

So after doing my doll Celia the gnome
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330581.msg3817752#msg3817752
people started asking about my new eye technique so I thought I'd share a tutorial on how I do it. I saw eyes like this on many dolls on line. I just sort of went off in my own direction with it.
Here is what I start with. Some acrylic paints (I like the metallic),brush, 15mm clear plastic eyes,brush, and a ball of air dry clay. You can use regular air dry or paper clay.

Split your clay into 2 equal portions and roll them into nice round balls. You want them to be as close as possible in size.

Next we paint the eyes. There are a million ways of doing this. This is just my common practice. I put a solid coat of a base color, in this case metallic green. I put it on quite thick and let it just about dry all the way.

Next I take a pin and scratch some thin lines out of the base coat of paint. I then paint a layer of black all over the area. Sometimes I like to add a bit of copper or gold. I did that in this picture before I added the black.

Now with the black on it looks like the little lines we all have in our iris.

Let the paint dry completely on the eyes and then carefully press them into your clay balls.

Use water to smooth out the clay. Don't worry if you get some on the eyes. It will wash off with a damp cloth. Set the eyes aside to dry. I like to let them dry at least over night. With such a large ball of clay it takes awhile to dry all the way through.

Sew up your doll/poppet head in the normal fashion. Stuff it super firm and shape it how you would like it. You will also want to add your clay to the nose and shape it as well. You will also need a scrap of your doll skin fabric.

Take a fine point pen and mark where your eyes should go. I like to use a ruler so I get them even and level.

Next snip tiny holes where your marks are. Keep the holes small because you can always make them bigger, but never make them smaller. I like to cut the slits rounded.

Jam your finger into the holes pushing the stuffing in. If you need to remove some you can do so now, but remember to keep it even so the shape of your head stays the same.

Take your scrap of fabric and cut a strip about an inch to a half inch wide and so it wraps around the eyeballs like so. I use a tiny drop of glue on each side of each eye to hold the eyelids in place.

Now with a pointed ended object (I use a tiny knitting needle) start to push and wiggle the eye into the hole. You may need to trim your hole open a bit wider at this point. Just depends on how the eye is going in.

The next step is a lot of wiggling, tugging, and tucking. I use a tweezers, my tiny knitting needle, and a pin for this. Take a bit of glue and with the pin apply it to the upper lid and push the fabric in to create a nice fold so you don't see any raw edges.

Wiggle, push, tweak until you have both eyes into the head with even matching lids. Remember it is going to look sort of creepy with out eyelashes and hair. Once those are added they look fab!

Tada! Any questions feel free to ask! I hope to see other people try this! If you don't have safety eyes you can also make your clay balls, let them dry, and paint the eye right on. Works either way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010 03:10:27 PM »

That's way better than I thought it was! I thought you put the eyes in first then stuffed. (way more complicated)

I will be using this method more often!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010 03:10:45 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kinoni
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010 04:14:45 PM »

yay! i will use this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010 12:39:27 AM »

That's amazing, I will definitely have to try this one day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kinoni
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010 09:17:50 PM »

one question- do you then glue around the eyes?
because i would imagine them to fall out if you squished the head too much
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010 10:52:09 PM »

one question- do you then glue around the eyes?
because i would imagine them to fall out if you squished the head too much
I also ask this question. So far all my poppets are for children (teen and under). I really like the way these eyes look
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClonedBravo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My 3 guys are gonna be joined by a baby in March!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010 05:02:22 AM »

Great tute !( too the pics where the doll has no eyes but spaces for eyes - kinda creepy!
 I love the detailed & informative pictures.
 totally gonna bookmark this tutorial!

Thanks for doing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss you Gramma! Jo Saunders, 5/20/1931- 10/11/2012

I've wisted stuff!!  http://www.wists.com/clonedbravo
Just like the Gypsy woman said!
Check out my ETSY, please! http://www.etsy.com/people/prancingdragon
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010 08:21:48 AM »

I use very little glue when I put in the eyes. I do take a pin head and dab a bit of glue on it and carefully put it in along the creases and at the corners. I don't think I'd let a child have a poppet with eyes like this. The eyes done this way are meant for adult dolls or art dolls. I'd stick with safety eyes, embroidery, or paint for kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010 03:36:21 PM »

Fantastic tute!
those eyes are beautiful, even if the photographs are more than a bit disturbing LOL  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
puamelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oh poppet, how you thwart me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010 01:11:41 PM »

Thanks so much for the tute, love the look. 
I was thinking if you're worried about it coming out, you could glue the eyelid fabric onto the eye before stuffing, glue (skin of head to eye) lightly along the bottom edge once in place then sew along the top edge (lid to skin of head). But as they say best to stick with safety eyes etc. for kids. My daughters love to poke at eyes on their dolls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Singing the Back to School Blues

Poppet vs Ami - Received, Sent
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Products to Help You Look Great Post-Flight
Eyeliner to Make Your Eyes Pop
Summer Skin Care Products
Summer Makeup Palette Reviews
Smooth Out Your Cellulite With Items from the Kitchen
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...