A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bussiness cards  (Read 2149 times)
Tags for this thread: business_card  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GoTo
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005 10:51:19 PM »

So far so good.  I'd make the color on the cards match the color of my website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glass Coaster Kits--make your own pressed flower coasters: http://gotogreatpanes.com/none.html
Jewelry Supplies--including Plastic Earring Hooks & Posts: http://gotogreatpanes.com/supplies
Special Effects Hair Dye (SFX):  http://gotogreatpanes.com/giftsforgoths/sfx
patriautism
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005 10:56:39 PM »

Just a tip! http://www.vistaprint.com has a great deal on business cards. You can use your own artwork (I think---I never have) or theirs. If you allow them to put their web address on the back (very small) the cards are free, you only pay for shipping. If not, it's a little bit more, but still a good deal. Ours come out looking great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizasmom

Are cloth diapers punk?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005 11:13:36 PM »

Just a tip! http://www.vistaprint.com has a great deal on business cards. You can use your own artwork (I think---I never have) or theirs. If you allow them to put their web address on the back (very small) the cards are free, you only pay for shipping. If not, it's a little bit more, but still a good deal. Ours come out looking great.

My business cards for my children's clothing business are from Vista Print.  Not only are their cards a good value and great quality, but their customer service is fantastic.  I had a problem with the checkout once and they gave my 60% off my order!!  I didn't even ask for any discount, I was just calling to see what I was doing wrong and make sure my order got placed correctly.

I'd highly suggest spending the extra $20 for your "own" cards (without the Vista Print address).  To me, it shows that you believe in your business enough to invest in it.  Of course, if your business is something you're doing for fun, then by all means, get the free ones.  But if I were handed a free card, I don't think I'd take the business quite as seriously.  It may seem harsh, but I think $20 isn't too much to invest in your professional image.

Leila
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Momma to Eliza Jane (11-2004)

Mamie Originals
Because style runs in the family.
http://www.mamieoriginals.com
http://www.mamieoriginals.blogspot.com
sweetpeahandcrafts
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005 06:31:01 AM »

I just got my first set of real cards in from overnightprints.com.  They're fabulous, and on really heavy card stock.  So I'd highly recommend them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purses, Retro Aprons and Other Accessories!
www.sweetpeahandcrafts.com
Deamon
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005 08:42:42 AM »

Deamon, what do you usually charge to design business cards?  I have a logo, but can't seem to put together a good lay-out for my business card, which is weird because I really enjoy doing desktop design.  Having my own logo makes it harder for me, I guess, because I don't know whether to have the logo (which is basically my business name and a small design) and still have my business name printed on the card or let the logo speak for itself.  Anyway, I'd be interested in your input.

Thanks!

Leila

Well, since I do it freelance, it varys on the specific job. If you already have the logo, the bulk of the job is taken care of, so to layout and design the card itself I wouldn't charge more than $20. I don't know how other people do it. If I design the logo, it gets up higher than that depending on the ammount of time that goes into it, the number of logos I draw, etc...

You always want your business name on the card, if people are talking about your business, they need to be able to verify the name with just a glance at your card.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elizasmom

Are cloth diapers punk?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005 09:01:21 AM »

Well, since I do it freelance, it varys on the specific job. If you already have the logo, the bulk of the job is taken care of, so to layout and design the card itself I wouldn't charge more than $20. I don't know how other people do it. If I design the logo, it gets up higher than that depending on the ammount of time that goes into it, the number of logos I draw, etc...

You always want your business name on the card, if people are talking about your business, they need to be able to verify the name with just a glance at your card.

Sorry to hijack this post, but here's my logo.  Do you think I should set up my business card with the typical:

Business Name
My Name
Position
Etc.

Or leave off the business name part since the logo *is* the business name?

Thanks so much!

Leila
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Momma to Eliza Jane (11-2004)

Mamie Originals
Because style runs in the family.
http://www.mamieoriginals.com
http://www.mamieoriginals.blogspot.com
Deamon
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005 09:48:32 AM »

Sorry to hijack this post, but here's my logo.  Do you think I should set up my business card with the typical:

Business Name
My Name
Position
Etc.

Or leave off the business name part since the logo *is* the business name?
Thanks so much!

Leila

In that case, I wouldn't repeat the business name.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shyanne
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005 10:16:19 AM »

Thanks everyone for all of your great advice, as of right now my card psd is stuck on my DEAD computer but after I get the hard drive out of it I'll be able to fix it up. I think I am going to go with the vertical card, like you said it is unique and I am going to switch around the arial bold font to something more curvey!

As for printings I'm going to stick to a local business, but thank you all for sharing your advice on that subject.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Cheyenne
itsallhappening
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005 12:03:04 PM »

I am going to switch around the arial bold font to something more curvey!

I would stay away from the curvey type-- try something very readable and clean for the information on the card. A really classic serif like Garamond or a gothic sans serif (sort of similar to the Arial, but not as heavy) could work well here. You don't want a lot of stuff cluttering up your card- the emphasis is on the name and the image, everything else should stay really clean. Maybe make the image a bit smaller- I can't really tell how the space is being used here because I don't think the image I'm looking at is proportional to a business card size (2"x3.5")

I like the layout that KimmyLynne82 is showing. Although I would put the website before the email address. I think that the image you have works much better on a horizontal card than a vertical layout. I do agree with Deamon about your tagline though-- Leave the business name, but maybe you could combine the other two lines of text so that it reads "one of a kind handbags by Cheyenne Golding" And I like the type you chose for your name-- you can use more decorative type for that part. The script you used is nice, and not too "cute." I consider the way you have typeset "Today is Sunday" to be your logo.

One more thing to know-- borders like you have here can be tricky-- when the cards are cut, they aren't always exact, and there is a potential for the border to look uneven. If you do use it, make it sort of thick so it isn't chopped off, and be sure to do a bleed. If I were you I would just lose the border- it's not necessary.

ok, have to get back to my real design job now, but this is much more fun Smiley Good luck!

ps- I like the rabbit image you have- where did you find it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shyanne
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005 12:19:50 PM »

Wow I'm getting tons of great advice from everyone, thank you! I am going to try out different styles and see what I like best. Also thanks for the advice on the boarders...I never really thought about that. And as far as size goes this is just something I whipped up to be able to show an example Smiley

itsallhappening,
The rabbit is an actual rabbit picture that I cut out, contrasted then changed the color of in photoshop.

Thanks again everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Cheyenne
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Raita
How to Make Plain Raita
Fry Your Paratha
Presenting the Paratha
Roasting and Presenting the Paratha
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...