A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,942
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jan/Feb J&T Featured Member~Feast Your Eyes!  (Read 4111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2010 11:56:04 PM »

The next Jewelry and Trinkets Featured member is ~Feast Your Eyes! Medley has been a member of Craftster since 2007 and is a frequent poster on the various Jewelry and Trinket boards. Not only does she make fabulous jewelry, but she does many other crafts and is a great swap partner!

These are a few of my favorite projects of Medleys:

Jewelry inspired by Princess Bride:
Inconceivable

Some of her fabulous bead work!

Traditional Native America Beaded Hat Band

Yum!

Beer and Peanuts Cupcakes

A few words from Medley:

I am educated as an architect, but am not currently using my degree. I feel I am a born designer, though, and enjoy design at all scales, from something small and wearable (jewelry), to large (buildings), to digital (websites) and everything between; the same principles always apply. My other passion is animal welfare. I have 2 dogs I adopted from shelters, and live with my mom and her 2 pets, a foundling cat, and a dog someone wanted to re-home. I am currently fostering a dog that was formerly used in a research lab. I volunteer for an animal rescue and try to educate about spay/neuter, puppy mills, and other issues affecting companion animals.

Q: Why (and when) did you begin making Jewelry?

A: I started in middle school with bead weaving on a small wire loom, mostly because I was fascinated by Native American culture & arts & crafts. I got a couple of Beads to Buckskin books and some others about Native American crafts and taught myself bead weaving, brick stitch, appliqu, leather work, and even tried my hand at quill work. Then in high school, I took a class taught by Susan Thomas (who later authored Link It! Colorful Chain Mail Jewelry) and Rain from the local bead store and learned to make peyote stitch amulets. That really launched me into more modern & artistic beadwork. It was actually later that I began to enjoy the creative exercise and instant gratification of simple stringing and wire wrapping. I am in the process of learning more complicated wire wrapping now.

Q: What are your favorite materials to work with? Favorite tools?

A: For seed bead work, I really like Fireline. You can get it in the sporting goods stores, but bead stores are carrying it now, too. For wire work, I love German Silver wire. It has the strength and shine of sterling, but costs a lot less. My favorite tools are my beat up chain nose and round nose pliers and wire cutters.

Q: Besides some lovely pendants that Ive drooled over, what other kinds of jewelry/trinkets do you make?

A: I have done lots of bead woven pieces. I enjoy right-angle weave and spiral stitch a lot, and have made some very successful pieces with them. I also like to make charm bracelets, earrings, and necklaces incorporating beads, charms, and chain.

Q: How did your first jewelry making project go for you?

A: It was a success at the time, but when I made others I, of course, saw lots of things I could have done better. It was a bracelet made with size 8 or 9 transparent green, purple, silver, and hematite seed beads and a diamond/chevron pattern. It had leather ties.

Q: Do you have any Crafster Crushes on other jewelry makers on the board? Who are they?

A: Acidtrix inspired me to try some asymmetrical necklace styles. I really loved the pinup pendants by a Craftster formerly known as miserylovesme , now UntamedMenagerie I wish I could do chain mail like hawkwolf. Beadsbeadingbeaded does some really nice work, too!

Q: Do you have any favorite techniques?

A: No, I have craft ADD. I like to jump back and forth.

Q: Are there any kinds of jewelry or techniques that you want to learn?

A: Yes! Lots! PMC, metal smithing, soldering, more chain mail (I know a little), more wire wrapping, glass fusing...

Q: Where do you get inspiration for your projects?

A: Either from the recipient (I do a lot of custom work, swaps, and make jewelry as gifts) or from the beads themselves. I can sit for hours with my bead boxes, sorting and grouping beads into combinations I think would look good.

Q: What other crafts do you do?

A: Sewing clothing and household items, quilting, painting objects (as opposed to canvases), decoupage, interior decorating, cooking, the list goes on... I love DIY and will try just about any craft.

Q: What is your favorite J &T project on Craftster that you posted?

A:  I really loved the colors (greens, browns, coppers, black), the Kazuri beads are really beautiful and unique, and the spiral stitch and right angle weave (which I used for the circle) are fun to do. I love to watch the piece take shape.

Lariat

Q: What is your favorite J&T project on Craftster that someone else has posted?

A:  Tough choice. It could be different on any given day. Today I picked this one because (a) it looks like something I'd actually wear, and (b) I find it impressive that Cayca figured out how to make it from looking at a picture.

Mistress of the Night by Cayca

Q: What is your favorite non-J&T project on Craftster that you have posted?  

A: My current craft infatuation is quilting, so I'm going to choose my first Mini Art Quilt. It was just one of those projects that appeared in my mind fully completed. The challenge was figuring out how to make it come out like I envisioned, and I think I came pretty close.

Doomsday Book Mini Art Quilt

[since I am the proud owner of this lovely quilt, its one of my faves too! MareMare]

Q: What is your favorite non-J&T project on Craftster that someone else has posted?  

A: Because I want it. It's well made, and I love rockabilly style.

So Very Cherry by Psycho Sue

Thanks so much for sharing with us Medley!

If you have a recommendation for a Featured Member, please send a pm my way!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010 12:02:31 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010 07:20:58 AM »

Grin Thanks for the nod! I love -love -love your button bracelet and all your stuff is so professional! Congrats on being featured!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010 04:17:49 PM »

I love that "inconceivable" bracelet
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Polo
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010 11:08:08 PM »

Wow, how creative they are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riechan
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010 03:22:03 PM »

oh my! I'm studying for architect now (I'm in my 3rd year) and I totally feel the same! I love to design on every scale!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
laura3850
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010 08:46:47 AM »

Neat! I love the button bracelet, that would be something I would definitely wear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

helenm66
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010 03:46:04 AM »

those cakes made my mouth water like crazy, really not good for my diet!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tissue Paper Stars
How to Build Your Own Volcano
How to Make a Statue of Liberty Crown for the 4th Of July
How to Make a 4th of July Hat
How to Make 4th of July Flag Invitations
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...