A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Self-sorting (sorta) bin  (Read 47519 times)
Tags for this thread: bin , featured_project , woodwork  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ecuadoriana
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2010 06:41:22 AM »

...I hadn't thought about its resemblance to a preschool shape-matching toy, but I'm sure our long-forgotten memories of childhood playtime are what makes us put everything in the right slots!...I'm quite content to let someone copy the design and manufacture them in China so I can buy a couple more for my own home.
Wulf

I'd hate to see this great idea head off to a sweat shop in China. I'm not sure where you are Wulf, but this would make a great job opportunity for the mentally/physically challenged community. There are several organizations near where I live that provide light manufacturing/industrial jobs for this community of people who genuinely want to contribute and be productive (the days of sorting wooden sticks and mending brooms in an institutional warehouse are long over, thank heavens!).

You could approach your local agencies with your idea to look into setting up a small scale operation for production and distribution. You don't seem so concerned with a profit, as you stated you'd be happy to buy some for yourself! So proceeds could go back into the community.

It is agreed by all that you have an excellent idea- and an obviously generous heart!

Every large tree started as a small seed. Even the place you work now had once been a small seed!  Smiley   Smiley   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010 06:42:24 AM by ecuadoriana - Reason: wrong wording » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyDeJa
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2010 08:58:08 AM »

This really does rock!!! The basic concept has soooooo many applicants as the other respondents stated. I immediately thought of office items, coins, and small crafting items!!

Before you send you idea off to China (if you were serious) please try to find someone here in the US who is interested and can manufacture it first. We need to keep jobs here AND, in my opinion, the quality might be a little better. How often do you buy an item because it's cute and inexpensive and it "breaksdown" almost immediately. In my experience, these items have often been made in China, Mexico or something. Besides, I love buying local ... especially if I can know the creator/company. Ok, sorry ... didn't mean to go off on a tangent. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only purpose of the day job is to buy the craft supplies!! Cheesy  Seriously, I LOVE making personalized crafts. I now have a line of hand-crafted fans and notecards using the Zentangle (R) technique. I have also become a Certified Zentangle Teacher and teach other artforms and techniques.
JohnnyBeLovely
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2010 01:41:02 PM »

This is great but do they really use it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Motherfungus

What I really need are minions.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2010 05:27:30 PM »

Aaakk!  I need one of these for laundry, dishes, kid's homework, bills, and junk just laying all over the house.  This is fantastic.  Hits This Rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thoughts become words, words become actions, actions become habits, habits become character, character becomes destiny, you become confused, just be nice.
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2010 06:05:40 PM »

Yes, it does get used, and I haven't seen any sign of screws going into the nail opening, etc.

As for manufacturing in China, I was only partly joking. The only way that most of us could afford to buy something like this ready-made is if it was mass-produced, probably in an overseas factory. One cut out and assembled by hand would be far too expensive to be worth it. That, of course, is where craft comes into it. Because we are crafters, we don't have to wait 'til it appears in WalMart. We can just build one of our own, and probably improve it in the process. Get crafting!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KraftyKitonet
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010 10:24:59 AM »

This is excellent. So handy and something we could use around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.::.Wists.::.Etsy.::.
jennjitsu
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010 05:54:54 PM »

BRILLIANT. I'm ROCKING this!
Now, I wonder how to go about making one that sorts dolls, My Little Ponies, and the other playthings I'm constantly picking up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2010 05:32:11 PM »

Now, I wonder how to go about making one that sorts dolls, My Little Ponies, and the other playthings I'm constantly picking up!

Oooh! That is a good one!  I wonder if you could use Rubbermaid-type storage boxes in some kind of rack that would stack each one offset about 6 inches past the one beneath. Then cut an opening in the lid of each and have the a series of chutes leading down to the bins. I'd make a game of it by having a target above each chute that you'd have to hit. Maybe each one could make a different sound.

Having watched it work with adults, I'm pretty sure the shaped opening system would work for kids, too. It's just kinda fun to use!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gurchroot
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2010 09:38:19 PM »

This is definitely awesome. I want to make one for buttons needs bobbins and other such things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aine666
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2010 11:34:06 AM »

OMG, this is so cool! I would've never come up with that idea, very clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-English isn't my first language, so please excuse me for my possible faults.-
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peripheral Vision 001: Eric Staller
Sandcastle World Championships
Tactile Pleasure in the Work of Judith Scott
Incredible Lifelike Human Statues
Lifelike Masks Created From DNA
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...