A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 301,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Self-sorting (sorta) bin  (Read 52333 times)
Tags for this thread: bin , featured_project , woodwork  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ChrisSews
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010 01:57:59 PM »

This is really cool.  I wondered about the drawers getting jammed too.  What about changing the design just a bit so that the drawers were all next to each other instead of stacked.  Sort of like this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
ecuadoriana
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010 02:04:27 PM »

This is really cool.  I wondered about the drawers getting jammed too.  What about changing the design just a bit so that the drawers were all next to each other instead of stacked. 

Hey ChrisSews, your idea beat mine by a mile! Vertical drawers! Yes!

See what a bunch of great minds can come up with?! Now if we could get all the world leaders to work on a craft project together all the world's problems would be solved with just some glue sticks, glitter, and fabric scraps!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Grave_13
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010 02:46:04 PM »

Superb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suganspyyce
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010 04:32:18 PM »

Wow!  This design is amazing!  I'm highly into woodworking right now, (getting ready to go fire up the scroll saw right now) so I can definitely appreciate this.  Hopefully people won't still just throw anything through any slot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010 04:53:24 PM »

yeah, well thats way way way cool..... would love to have one....awsome idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiwiblue
Personal Swap encouraged

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2010 05:38:17 PM »

I need It !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEMPER IN FAECIBVS SVMVM,SOLE PROFNDVM VARIAT
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2010 06:49:21 PM »

Wow, I'm kind of amazed by the response this got. Obviously I hit a wide-open need in the crafting community! Thanks for all the enthusiasm and kind words.

Answers to a couple of excellent questions:

So far there hasn't been a problem with stuff piling up in a tangle under each opening and getting caught when the drawer is pulled out. This is probably just because it's only been in use for six months and hasn't accumulated enough material yet, but I think that it'll take a while for that to become a problem because each time you pull out one of the drawers it shakes the contents a bit and spreads it around. The arrangement of the openings isn't random -- I deliberately had screws fall into the largest drawer, for instance, because they're what accumulates the most, and washers go to the smallest  because they take up the least space.

Sloping the drawers away from the point where the material falls is an interesting idea, and would certainly help spread the contents. Gravity isn't on your side there, so it'd be necessary to make some sort of latch to keep each drawer closed, but that wouldn't be too hard and could make for fun 'automatic drawer action'. Or if the drawers were constructed differently they could still slide out level but have the bottom of each angled toward the front.

The row of deeper, narrow drawers would be easier to set up, and the sorting action would be identical, but of course you'd lose the easy access to the contents that flat tray-like drawers give you. I first thought of making the drawers pull out the front, but I couldn't see any way to avoid having them stack in an uneven triangular pattern, and that didn't seem very attractive. The side-action is tidier-looking, though the blank front face bothers me. I haven't figured out what to use that space for.

Carving out the openings on top wasn't too time-consuming, except for the threads on the screw and bolt shapes. Once I figured out a technique, though, even those weren't too bad. I hadn't thought about its resemblance to a preschool shape-matching toy, but I'm sure our long-forgotten memories of childhood playtime are what makes us put everything in the right slots!

As for making them to sell on Etsy, it looks like I'd have a hard time keeping up with demand just from the Craftster crowd. I'm quite content to let someone copy the design and manufacture them in China so I can buy a couple more for my own home. A tiny one would be brilliant for jewellery findings, and a bigger one for beads. (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has boxes and bags of beads and stuff waiting "to be sorted".) Another tiny one for sewing pins, maybe. And I may be crazy, but wouldn't this work for cutlery, too?

Wulf
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010 06:51:28 PM by Wulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010 07:58:45 PM »

What a neat idea.  *oo sorry a pun*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
kiwiblue
Personal Swap encouraged

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010 10:23:01 PM »

Silverware !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEMPER IN FAECIBVS SVMVM,SOLE PROFNDVM VARIAT
christyanthemum
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2010 11:49:00 PM »

Super awesome!  Well done you.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Beauty Products for Fall
Day-to-Night Makeup Tricks
E.L.F. Foundation Review
DIY Pumpkin Hand and Foot Scrub Recipe
How to Style an Easy Party Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...