A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,330
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are some good hair spiking products?  (Read 843 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 10, 2005 08:47:31 PM »

I'm chopping my hair off and need a good gel or some sort of hair product to get it messy and spikey.  I've used that 'glue' stuff, but hate how it feels and flakes off (I don't NEED to look like I have dandruff).   I've also tried many products that make it look horribley greasy - like I haven't washed it in weeks.  I've heard of using egg whites and Elmer's glue, but I've also heard bad things about them. 

So what are some good brands to use?  (Or any that you could warn me against using) Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
Melissa_Bumbles

hello my name is melon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005 09:50:34 PM »

there's this stuff called ice spray...or something like that...it dries rock hard, you might wanna try that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Most people are other people.  Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -- Oscar Wilde
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005 09:59:05 PM »

have you tried bed head? It's not hard, but stiff enough to stick up with short hair......it's not extremely greasy, but I would recommend a one-a-day wash
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
livingin77
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005 07:12:12 AM »

Giga Hold hairspray.  It comes in a NEON YELLOW can.  Also, pretty much any hairspray can be used to spike hair, though sometimes it needs the assistance of a blowdryer.  I have friends with foot long mohawks who use nothing but hairspray.

Also, Murray's hair dressing, it comes in a orange tin and is relatively waxy, and doesn't start to look greasy for a few days.  It's also only like $1.50 for a tin of it at wal-mart and it will last you forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005 08:05:02 AM »

I'm sure there are much better products but I used to put up my friend's liberty spikes with a plain old bar of soap.  It didn't dry flaky and the best part it was easy to wash out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilgothkatt
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005 08:42:50 AM »

I used to have a 10 inch mohawk. yay girls with mohawks! anywho I used this stuff called 4+4 it was absolutely amazing stuff, though I haven't seen it in a few years.haven't looked though. anywho it smells like banana and holds hair extemely well, and looks natural, like you don't have any product in your hair. awsome stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonkeys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
Seika
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005 05:17:42 AM »

Gelatin.  Gelatin is from heaven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do you realize that your insatiable pull for all things deadly was strong enough to recover a pack of mutant canines from extinction?  If we could bottle your luck, we'd have a weapon of mass destruction on our hands." --Edward, Eclipse
mycatisnosferatu
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005 06:50:03 AM »

All through my adolescents I dated boys with Mohawks, even when I got married my husband had a Mohawk .  One swore by Elmers white glue, one used mustache wax (his hawks were much shorter though) and others just used gel and hair spray.  I did a Mohawk on my 4 year old son a while ago and I used gel and then a flat iron and then some hair spray to finish it off.  He didnt have shaved on the sides so it was a LOT harder to accomplish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Izzy
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005 07:11:46 AM »

I recently had my hair cut quite short (short at the back graduating to longer at the front) with really short layers on top. I've found that VO5 Texturising Gum is really great for spiking and smells delicious (like bubblegum!) but I think it's only available in the UK... Not entirely sure though so keep an eye out.

The Garnier range has some really great gels and waxes, I think there's one called Manga Head and another called Style Rework which I found to be really good, and also smelled great! I wouldn't reccommend Surf Hair (also by Garnier) unless you want a messy look, but I found that it was pretty cack anyway ... Left a lot of flakes and took a fair bit of washing out, and my hair felt really caked with product when I touched it (other people said it didn't, but you know the feeling if it's your own hair). I only used a little of it, too -_-"

I'd have to say though, if you can, try and get some stuff from the TiGi Bed Head range. Bed Head's stuff is used in salons, and while it's expensive, it'll last you for a long time, smells great and is really good quality. When I had my hair cut they used a little Bed Head wax - it smelt like coconuts, and my hair was textured and gorgeous all day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Fairy Portrait
How to Change Composition in Photoshop
How to Work with hue/saturation in Photoshop
How to create an action in Photoshop Part 2/2
How to Create Baby Photos in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...