A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,430
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Block Swap--mid-march-ish? Now Open!  (Read 8447 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2010 04:52:31 PM »

Now Open:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=337939.0

Hey all, anybody want to a quilting block swap in a bit? I did the Lap Quilt swap before and while it was fun, it was pretty insane on shipping and time. I'm thinking for this, more of everyone just having a color pallette or some kind of theme and having their partners make squares for them from their own stash (no sending out of your own fabric). If we want it to be more matching/pulled together looking (I'm grasping for words today, people!) maybe we could pick a certain block or blocks for everyone to do. Or not. I was thinking we could have a few people in a group, maybe 5, and you would send two blocks to each person, with the option to be in multiple groups if you chose. So if you did 1 group you would be sending 8 blocks to 4 people. That way we would still get a decent number of blocks, but not go too crazy on shipping. Sound ok? Suggestions/comments? Maybe 12 1/2 or 10 1/2 inch blocks?

Update on what has been decided so far:

Everyone chooses their block or blocks that they would like made for them. It could be a specific block with an online link to the pattern or a general type (ie, stars). Keep in mind that people of different skill levels are involved, please don't pick a super advanced block unless you also pick an easier block to go with it.

You also choose your color pallette.

People will be in groups of 5, with the option to be in multiple groups if they have good feedback on their profile. Newbies are not allowed in this swap because there are multiple sendouts. You will send three squares to each of the 4 other people in your group. It should be around $3 per envelope with delivery confirmation within the US. International swappers are welcome

Tentative Dates:

Sign-ups Feb 17-March 3
Sendouts April 12

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010 09:22:09 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Now with prizes! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010 05:20:46 PM »

yes please.

one of the other forums i sometimes visit does a swap kinda like this.  i think they can choose the block and the colours.  some just pick colours and quilter's choice... the only thing with picking a block is experience levels...  i cannot pp, not even at gunpoint... and i am terrified to applique...

but. i am so in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Faux_Valentine
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010 09:12:36 PM »

I would probably be up for it! I have gotten really into quilting lately and would love this. An idea could be letting the person choose a block they want and letting their swap group choose the colors or color set and choosing a block. I just wouldnt want to make 8 of the same exact blocks in different colors. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MommyTheMaid
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010 08:07:44 AM »

I also loved the lap quilt swap, but I am not sure I could swing the shipping for that again.

I have a ton of blocks left over from doing a quilt block swap a long time ago.  IT was supposed to be ongoing but our organizer flaked Sad  I think we did white backgrounds and scrappy designs of simpler blocks, but artists choice sounds like a lot of fun too.  I would want to stay with the white background though if I could request that from my senders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010 08:16:03 AM »

i think the shipping aspect of this swap is one of the things that make it so intriguing for me.  only one envelope per person.
  but what to choose for my blocks?  stars? irish chain? dnp? scrappy? colour themed?  red and white? blue and yellow?  endless choices...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Faux_Valentine
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010 11:56:05 AM »

Im not quite sure what i was thinking last night when i posted that, but to be honest now that i am awake and a little more lucid what i think i ment to say is im not sure i would like to have a whole bunch of different blocks with the same color scheme. I would much rather have the same block in a whole bunch of colors than the other way around. Im not really a mix and match kinda girl. Of course i would always be willing to work with people on the skill level of my block as i am rather new myself, so i wouldnt want to choose a block that would over whelm someone. And now im just rambling. I just wanted to clarify what i ment to type not what  i typed.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linnybelle
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010 06:52:15 PM »

This sounds really fun and I would definitely like the smaller shipping rate of it.  So to my understanding, we would either pick the colors we'd like to receive or the blocks?

I love quilt swaps and it would be fun to get different fabrics back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010 08:13:03 PM »

Yeah, the only thing about picking blocks would be making sure there was a difficulty/simplicity level that would work for a range of people. We could try to have groups of different skill levels, but that can get pretty difficult from an organzing standpoint, especially if it's a smaller swap and/or dealing with shipping inernationally, allergies, etc. I do think that would make really neat quilts though!

So, I guess the idea would be for each person to specify x block in x colors/theme. But it would need to be on the vague side for colors/themes, like blues/greens/yellows as one theme or stripes, polka dots and reds as another theme. Hopefully people could work mostly from stash or just have to buy a few FQ's. Does that sound ok? Also, the blocks would need to be online somewhere so everyone would have access to them. How does that sound?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog

sloth003

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010 09:35:59 PM »

Yeah, the only thing about picking blocks would be making sure there was a difficulty/simplicity level that would work for a range of people. We could try to have groups of different skill levels, but that can get pretty difficult from an organzing standpoint, especially if it's a smaller swap and/or dealing with shipping inernationally, allergies, etc. I do think that would make really neat quilts though!

So, I guess the idea would be for each person to specify x block in x colors/theme. But it would need to be on the vague side for colors/themes, like blues/greens/yellows as one theme or stripes, polka dots and reds as another theme. Hopefully people could work mostly from stash or just have to buy a few FQ's. Does that sound ok? Also, the blocks would need to be online somewhere so everyone would have access to them. How does that sound?

that sounds exactly like what i wanted in a perfect quilting swap. 

i think tho. that most of use who quilt would understand difficulty levels and request a block in something vague (like star block or rectangles) then the experienced can play at their level while those of us middling in intermediate or below can expand our horizons as we see fit.  i personally would prefer a well made simpler block the giver was confident in that a poorly made block they were not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010 09:43:49 PM »

Cool, anyone want to post some blocks they would like/think might work for a variety of skill levels? Or maybe picking a couple that would go together well that are different skill levels?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Prepping Your Hair for Any Hairstyle
How to Get Perfectly Kissable Lips
10 Makeup Tips for Your Wedding Day
The Kissable Lip
Beauty Products You Need To Throw Out ASAP
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Your Own Patron Saint
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...