A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Necklace- how would I...  (Read 1897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feeshy

Over my dead pineapple

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010 03:16:12 AM »

You did a good job, the detail on the gold bit is really good. The original original (as in, the one used in the film), is roughly that size, the replica in the picture is only about an inch.

I didn't realise Metallic was Soft, I've got some Classic at the moment and it doesn't seem like it was any softer.

This was the powder I was going to use
http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=82557

There aren't really many brands available over here. It doesn't say whether it's real metal or mica though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only signature he needed was my fist. With a pen in it. That I was signing with.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010 09:38:45 AM »

I didn't realise Metallic was Soft, I've got some Classic at the moment and it doesn't seem like it was any softer.

It's definitely in the FimoSoft line, but may be stiffer than most of the others in that line because it has a fair amount of mica in it, or because it's older (even on the shelf), or just because of the particular plasticizer available the day it was manufactured or the day your FimoClassic was manufactured (and FimoClassic is getting softer all the time too...sigh), etc.  (I don't know too much more about the FimoSoft mica clays personally though because I don't use FimoSoft in general, and I'd usually be using Premo or Kato for metallics.)

This was the powder I was going to use
http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=82557
There aren't really many brands available over here. It doesn't say whether it's real metal or mica though.

Just from the look of it, I'd say that's a real-metal** powder but hard to tell for sure.  I thought they had switched to mica powders at some point as I said, but these could be older bottles, or it could be they went back to real-metal.  Also, since Eberhard Faber recently got taken over by Staedtler (the "new" website isn't really up much yet, and the EF site seems to have been closed), it's hard to see from them just what their "current" offerings are.

**do be careful about inhaling real metal powders since they're actually tiny little screw shapes that will work their way down into the lungs and stay there forever... wear a mask or just try to keep them from becoming airborne
... also note that some of the colors will oxidize over time so need to be sealed

As for mica powders available in the UK, just checking briefly I see a brand called Pearly Powders by Sticky Fingers, as well as others sold for use in soaps, glassmaking, and of course for rubberstamping and painting, etc.
(Some also come with "binders" in them like Perfect Pearls for example, or in other clear carriers as paints, etc, which can also be used with polymer clay.)

The Pearl Ex brand (by Jacquard) is probably the most-used brand in the US, and here is one place in the UK that carries them:
http://www.rainbowsilks.co.uk/SubCategory.cfm?SubCatId=252
more: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mica+powder+UK

(And you can always use many eyeshadows too since they contain mica.)

Diane B.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 09:40:35 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
aethelberga
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010 09:39:57 AM »

That was what I used, only in Silver.  I wish I had the gold, because I ended up painting Yellow fimo with gold acrylic paint & the gold powder would have been great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010 06:49:36 PM »

hey, I've made this before! Cheesy
Here's mine: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299932.msg3422008#msg3422008

I used Super Sculpey III. The pendent in the movie was smooth, so I used a wet bone folder to smooth out the clay nicely for an even finish. It was then painted with gold, bronze and silver acrylics, sealed, and hung from a leather thong.

If you wanted to make a more 2D version out of metal, that wouldn't be too hard, and you could theoretically do it with minimal tools, but you'd still need to pick up a few, like a jeweler's hand saw and some files. I have a tut on my blog explaining how to do basic hand cut pendants (no soldering) - basically follow that but cut out two pieces, the silver background and a gold foreground, with a pierced design in the foreground. if you want to keep the dimpled look on the background, you could hammer it a bit with a ball peen hammer. then get some silver solder (i like the paste kind that comes in a tube, silver and flux combined), add some between the layers, and heat it with a torch on a brick till its red hot and the metal gets an almost liquid sheen. you can do this with a regular old propane blowtorch - its not at all precise, but it'll work for a simple sweat solder like this (my boyfriend won't let my have a proper torch until i get some safety lessons, so that's what I use). carefully quench in water (it'll be horribly hot so don't touch!) and then polish away. this is a pretty unrefined process, but it'll work  Smiley If you go to a jewelry supply place you can pick up a sheet of nickel silver and of dix gold - they're much cheaper than sterling or gold, but will shine up just as nice with some elbow grease, and its good to practice with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010 10:19:09 AM »

acidtrix, wow that's big!...but very appropriate for a costume.  Very cool.

Since it was so large, did you say whether you'd used an armature under it? 
And were you using SuperSculpey or Sculpey III? Not that it matters too much re strength since those two have about the same amount of after-baking strength, but often SS is baked a long time to increase strength when it will just be painted over.

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010 10:34:09 AM »

The bust does make it look a little bigger than it actually is (its a mini bust), but its still probably 3.5-4" tall (if you look at the picture of him with the acrylic ball, the ball is a 3"). Its about as close to scale as I could guess to the movie version Smiley
I used Sculpey III and no armature. It seems pretty strong - he's broken the leather thong twice now but not the pendant Smiley Hopefully it'll last a while!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bobbie Thomas Joins Marlo Thomas
Choosing the Right Fit for Your Body
How to Rock the Logomania Trend
Get a Casual Malibu Look on a Budget
Behind the Scenes of Laura’s Prom Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...