A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
758 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting on a plane...  (Read 25774 times)
Tags for this thread: travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2006 12:18:17 PM »

I take embroidery with me on planes all of the time. The only thing I have had trouble with has been white transfer markers/pens. I think the pump thing at the top threw them off.  Just in case they take my scissors away I always have nail clippers as a back up. So far so good, I have been able to take my scissors every time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not2old4glitter
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2006 10:15:57 PM »

I know the question is about crafts and not lighters, but this was mentioned as an allowed item

"Lighters with absorbed liquid fuel and disposable lighters"

disposable lighters are not allowed in carry-on OR checked bags,
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Lighters - All lighters are prohibited as carry-on items. Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to DOT exemptions, which allow up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please refrain from bringing it to the airport.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

untoherselfalone
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2006 03:55:49 AM »

You could do craft research like read a craft related library book on the trip?? It would be totally mess-free. Smiley Other than that crochet seems viable with plastic little needles. Beading would be possible if you could  think of a good system for keeping beads safe on the plane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2006 09:36:45 PM »

ATCs, girl!  They are perfect!  Just pack some markers, colored pencils, a glue stick, some blanks, and a bit of papers, and wait until inspiration strikes!  You can use scraps of papers and ephemera from your trips (bits of reciepts, tickets, maps, free travel mags, etc)!  People would love the extra excitement of knowing a trade was made with a card made '30,000 feet somewhere over Buffalo'.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2006 10:11:36 PM »

I was watching some DIY show a while back around 9/11 & one lady said she uses old dental floss holders as a way to cut & hold her thread.

I haven't checked the airline list but if you can carry small sewing needles why dont you take up quilting. Cut out all your shapes at home & then you can attach them while flying. Depending on your pattern you can just carry a few pieces at a time working in long rows that way you can keep a good portion of it in your bag. Make a deadline like I will get 1 row done every trip, then you will have a huge quilt in no time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2006 09:33:06 AM »

I use a plastic needle and a Clover cutter.

I bought the Clover cutter recently because the packaging specifically said that it was allowed on planes. I've been through the airport with it twice and the first time, they searched the bag. The second time, I pulled it out and told them what it was and it still led to a lengthy discussion!

The next time I fly, I won't bother cutting any yarn (although I could use nail clippers), and I'll only bring a plastic crochet hook. I'll either make a bunch of dishcloths or I'll start a bunch of granny squares.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
desidou
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2006 06:43:43 AM »

Since you're already a knitter, how about trying Crochet? I picked it up pretty quickly and I've heard that it's way easier than knitting, so you should do just fine!

The crochet hooks are rounded and not pointy. You don't need much else but yarn and small scissors (or a set of nail clippers).

I taught myself how to crochet using the Debbie Stoller book "The Happy Hooker" - it's has some really cool & hip projects. If you're not willing to commit the $19.95 for the book, a good alternative is to buy a copy of "Crochet Today" magazine. In every issue, there are instructions on crocheting and they also have great projects listed in every issue.

desidou
THIS ROCKS   Logged

desidou
-------------------------------------------
PM me if you're interested in a personal swap!
nekopug
Embracing all that is cute and cozy

Orion would like to help Santa with the cookies.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2006 08:29:56 PM »

while things might've relaxed since the last I heard about it, and I haven't flown in decades, last I'd heard clover cutters were on the no-no list for some places because if you break it open you have a razor sharp circular blade. (How on earth you're supposed to hurt anyone but yourself with such a thing I don't know! But there it is.)

One thing that mercredi's last post made me think of is that it's probably best to contact not only the airport you're departing from, but the one you're going to be using for your return flight too, since they all seem to have varying rules, and what gets through inspection at home might get taken away when you try to get back.

How on earth do you break them open?  They're made of metal for goodness sake with no exposed blade otherwise. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
hollylynne

step away from the cashmere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2006 06:43:17 PM »

just throwing in two cents: i recently flew from los angeles to london and brought a crochet project on the plane.  i took plastic hooks and plastic darning needles and cut my yarn w/ the cutter from a package of dental floss (a tip i stole from another craftster!).  i had absolutely no trouble w/ security.  i made a potholder on the flights - the balls of cotton yarn i needed were very small and portable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2006 12:25:24 PM »

I travel a LOT and crochet while I go. I have a crocheted hook case with all of my hooks, plastic yarn needles and a clover cutter. i travel throughout the US so maybe i've been lucky. i also see a lot of women cross stitching with plastic needles and some knitting.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 4/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 5/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/6
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...