A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Learn to Spin. Step 2: Drafting  (Read 14164 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010 01:47:20 PM »

Great job! I"m really tempted to go ahead and spin some of my undyed alpaca.

hahaha me too!  I was wasting time on youtube the other night watching spinning videos.  Now I want to go go go!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been obsessively watching youtube spinning videos.  Up until I saw this "learn to spin" thread I thought I had NO interest in spinning. I thought, "Man, I just DO NOT NEED another hobby."  But it became irresistible to follow along and give it a try!!  The first piece I tried to draft was kind of a mess, but I was a lot better even by the second try!  A million thanks to Jane Doe for putting this all together.  Now I just need my spindle to arrive....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lianatempera
Happiness is Created. Creating IS Happiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010 02:03:38 PM »

well...i made my spindle on friday (and I can make 7 more, I just need hooks), and I predrafted my wool........I may have drafted it too thinly, though...I hope not. And this is so exciting!!!!! I tried spinning about a year ago, but I didn't really know what I was doing...so the 2 singles i spun were horribly thick and thin and overtwisted. I've already learned something I didn't know before!
and now I'm waiting (im)patiently for the next part Smiley
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 03:30:56 PM by lianatempera » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallyb
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010 12:46:18 AM »

Yikes!  I've been offline for about 10 days moving house (and waiting for the internet company to send my new modem...grrr....) but I'm finally back!  And what a lot of info to catch up on!  I can't wait to check out those video tutorials... I think I have worked out the first thing that made my last foray into spinning more difficult than it should have been - I didn't know about drafting!  I was going straight from my roving to the drop spindle!  Roll Eyes  I guess I was doing a little drafting just before it went into the spindle, but I can see already that the "proper" way will be so much easier!!  Hahaha, it's nice to experiment, but nice to know the right way of doing things too!  I'm lucky enough to know just which box my roving and spindle are in - time to dig it all out and get started!  Wooot!  Oh, right after I feed my little son...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010 07:45:01 AM »

Hahaha, it's nice to experiment, but nice to know the right way of doing things too!

As I was first learning spinning and knitting an artist friend of mine would always ask why I'm bothering with patterns and the "right way"...she's a very freeform, outside-the-box kind of person...but she couldn't argue with my reasoning about why I was learning all the "right ways" to do things. I like to learn all the rules and know them well so I know how to break them and break them well, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallyb
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010 11:55:42 AM »

Hahaha, it's nice to experiment, but nice to know the right way of doing things too!

As I was first learning spinning and knitting an artist friend of mine would always ask why I'm bothering with patterns and the "right way"...she's a very freeform, outside-the-box kind of person...but she couldn't argue with my reasoning about why I was learning all the "right ways" to do things. I like to learn all the rules and know them well so I know how to break them and break them well, lol.

Exactly!  I have no qualms about doing things differently to develop new techniques and experimenting, but if it doesn't work, it may be time to read the instructions!

Those video tutes are fantastic - I'm looking forward to pulling out my wool and getting going today!  My little man wouldn't let me last night!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

travelgirl
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010 07:15:08 PM »

i just got my roving drafted i ALMOST pulled it apart in one spot and it's not all totally even but i think it look ok
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010 07:37:47 PM »

I did draft some of my roving, just a little tho, to even out the kinks.  Did better than the first time lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010 11:22:41 PM »

My fiber arrived and I have it drafted. The 4th piece has a fuzzy thinner spot, but the rest turned out pretty even.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010 02:16:19 AM »

Tonight I drafted my fancy multicolored batt that I received from Penguino in a fiber swap.

I started with this fabulousness:

Split into halves:

Halves split into equal pieces:

Staple length (this is a pretty good length, lots of mohair):

All drafted out into two nice, long pieces:

I'm forcing myself to wait for the next lesson before I spin, like a good girl. lol Plus, I have lots of drawing homework to finish before Monday. Must treat spinning as a luxury while school is in session.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
themuppet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Wants your tasty brainmeats.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010 04:26:46 AM »

ooOooOOoo that batt is fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Reflector to Add Fill Light
How to Make Your Own Photo Canvases
Multiple Exposures in Macro Photography
Using the Right Lens For a Close-Up
Using Artificial Light in Nighttime Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...