A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,503
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Learn to Spin. Step 2: Drafting  (Read 14872 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Avalon the Arcane
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010 06:10:29 PM »

Thanks for your answer Jane Doe -- it's really helpful.  I'm sure I'll get a feel for the weight as I start to spin more.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010 01:43:34 AM »

I just got to watch the batt pre-drafting video. Whooooo! She scares me when she rips that batt in half. It's great though, I love her energy. Rip that batt all fast like friends! Bam! lol Maybe I'm too timid with my fiber. I tend to treat it like it's royalty. Maybe fiber is like a dog and senses this nervous vibe? Maybe that's why I'm not getting anything fibery done lately. I need to dominate my fiber Cesar Milan style. I am the alpha dog!

I do predraft my batts differently. I originally watched a video where the lady split the batt in half and then split the two pieces into a loving, roving type piece. (Depending on what the batt looks like of course.) Usually when batts I spin I have two matching length pieces that I work from. I do this just in case I change my mind on what I'm doing half way through. Then I at least have a choice if I want to save the longer strips in a roving form. I guess it sticks in my mind that it's harder to put back together than it is to pull into pieces. I'll have to see if I can find that video again. I don't know if I'd recognize it even if I came across it.

I learned to spin off of Megan's videos. She just explained in a way that was very easy to understand as far as I was concerned. Another lady I like is Rexenne on YouTube. She has a few spinning/cleaning/dyeing videos. We're not to all of the stuff she touches on yet.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010 01:44:16 AM by SewMamaLady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Ravenau1
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010 03:44:43 AM »

I'm going to admit that, Ravenau1, your drafting is much better then mine... are you sure you haven't done this before? I'll have to try and be more patient I guess.

Definitely never done it before Belladune!  But the fibre seems to be quite long, so I think that makes drafting easier? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010 06:13:03 AM »

yes, the length of the fiber would make it easier... I just get distracted and start pulling willy nilly... Still trying to convince hubby to bring me some roving from the basement for more practice.

SML i agree with you, I was shocked when she just ripped that batt up too.  I guess thats still a newbish type thing i do, gentle with my batts... If they are multi colored, and have a few layers, I start pulling the colors apart... not sure why... I suppose it gives a different yarn when you just take a chunk and draft it out like she does in the video... I'm going to have to try this with one of my batts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010 12:22:53 PM »

I read the lesson and watched the vids while the kids napped this am. I only split my roving once as it was already pretty thin. Here are some pics.

Started with this.

The piece of roving I tore off.

The two separated pieces. As you can see one was slightly thicker than the other.

The drafted pieces.

All rolled up Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shannin
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010 04:04:04 PM »

Started with this roving from MaineWoodsYarn on Etsy... I took 1 yard of the roving which was about 1/4-1/3 of the whole thing.

And made this:

I'm not sure how long it took me but I was going pretty slow and making sure it was all even. I did it at around 2am while my boyfriend was sitting next to me playing CoD2... haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog | Etsy | Pintrest | Wishlist
PM me for personal swaps. Smiley
EKO

http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010 06:39:11 PM »

OK, I've finally got my supplies and have started my drafting, I have some more to do later but my 7 week old needed to eat again, so I can post my pics while she nurses.

What I started with.

Unrolled.

Split, (a little uneven)

Drafted (a comparison)

My drafted piece all rolled up.

All my supplies,

C&C welcome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit me at my blog
http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

Current swaps
sss23- all sent and all received.
tar3820
Geek gone knitty

Drive from ocean to ocean. Then you'll understand.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010 11:33:59 PM »

So I skipped some steps last week and spun my undyed wool that I got in my kit. It didn't turn out too bad considering I was winging it.. and tonight I dyed it.

I'm drafting the 4oz roving that also came with the kit. That's stuffs the real deal. I've already spun about an eighth of it and I can tell I'm getting better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just your average knitting whore.
Think Crafty Thoughts
Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010 09:15:04 AM »

So I skipped some steps last week and spun my undyed wool that I got in my kit. It didn't turn out too bad considering I was winging it.. and tonight I dyed it.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_iyvKZkXNwhY/S2ZtNuLVHUI/AAAAAAAAFDY/8Fzc1svwdKo/s640/IMG_4512.JPG

I'm drafting the 4oz roving that also came with the kit. That's stuffs the real deal. I've already spun about an eighth of it and I can tell I'm getting better.

Great job! I"m really tempted to go ahead and spin some of my undyed alpaca.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010 07:13:34 AM by jungrrl - Reason: please remove img tags when quoting » THIS ROCKS   Logged
themuppet
Wants your tasty brainmeats.

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010 10:38:47 AM »

Great job! I"m really tempted to go ahead and spin some of my undyed alpaca.

hahaha me too!  I was wasting time on youtube the other night watching spinning videos.  Now I want to go go go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Asian-Style Chicken Noodle Soup
How to Prepare Indian Spiced Rice Salad
How to Cook Barbecued Lime and Lemon Grass Pork
How to Cook Mini Lamb Satays
How to Cook Chinese Pancakes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...