A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,097
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needing clarification about what wool pickers are used for  (Read 1253 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikschaf
« on: May 11, 2010 01:06:39 PM »

I am kind of confused about wool pickers, like the one shown here: http://woolpickers.com/welcome.html .  Do folks use these wool pickers in place of combs?  Is it an alternative to carding?  Can wool pickers be used to blend fiber?  I don't have hand carders yet, and though I would love a drum carder, they are just way too expensive for me to consider at this point.  The wool picker is something I could afford, but I'm not really clear on how it's used.  I have a fair amount of leftover fiber from spinning projects, and I'd like to be able to card it or blend it for future spinning.

The wool picker in the link looks like a pretty cool gizmo, and it's so much more affordable than a drum carder!  But I'm pretty confused about what exactly the wool picker accomplishes and whether it can be used to blend colors and fibers.

What I'm imagining is that someone would use the wool picker instead of combs, and then you could maybe use a DIY hackle and diz to create roving?  Does this make sense?

If anyone can set me straight, it would be awesome.  Has anyone used one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010 03:36:04 PM »

I think I might have answered my own question.  It looks like the wool picker is to be used on a freshly washed fleece that's still kind of tangled together.  Looks like it separates and fluffs up the fibers in preparation for carding or combing.  Is that right?

Since I don't have any plans to buy a raw fleece, the wool picker probably isn't of use to me.  Too bad -- it looks like fun to use!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Liz Funk Reveals Who She Admires Most
David Rabe Reveals His Favorite Movie
Helen Perelman Talks About Candy Fairies
Jackie Collins Reveals Her Favorite TV Show
Jeffrey Ross Talks About I Only Roast the Ones I Love
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...