A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bento Love  (Read 4865 times)
Tags for this thread: bento  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010 07:14:18 AM »

Awww, neat!  You get so many Cool Mom Points!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
WMA
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010 12:42:41 PM »

How cool...and healthy too! Definitely wins cool mom points! I love a good bento box lunch. Might I suggest furoshiki?http://www.env.go.jp/en/focus/attach/060403-5.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DorianNight
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010 02:22:41 PM »

I love the idea of a bento box... but I have a few things holding me back from buying one or even creating one and using it.

1. How do you keep things refrigerated? For me, I need protein during the day, and I also like sushi and such, but there doesn't seem to be a way to keep this cold. What does everyone else do? Or are you all eating tings that can sit out for really really long periods of time?

2. I can't make sushi T_T I fail at it... and I fail at most Asian food style things... I also haven't found any simple recipes for said food. Any tips from fellow Bento box users as to what I can make/put in a bento box?

These Bento boxes turned out awesome and I am supremely jealous. In high school I would have killed to tote something so cool around. As an adult I still would like them because I am at school and work from 8am-12am and it's a 45 min drive home... So I eat all my meals on campus and the regular boxed lunches I make get old fast... Also if I make something that needs a freezer pack I have a hard time because it means I have to eat it by at least lunch because by the time I eat dinner it would be warm.. .

Once again great job and I love the fact you made awesome practice bentos that look so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysmeine
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010 02:51:55 PM »

I do need to make a furoshiki. I did try to follow the chart when wrapping, but only had a towel at the time. I do love all the ways to wrap things. Thank you for the link.

My daughter seriously loved it and packed one for the next day. One of her class mates tried to steal it.

We still need alot of accesories, but it is fun to pactice and to find out what we like. I can't wait to try some furikake and possibly make some dumplings from scratch as those are our favorites. We could use some sauce bottles for packing. I have learned they are challenging to create. The one I made for work tonight had chicken, rice balls, and banana chips on one side with the vegetable on the other side. The colors weren't balanced. I tried mixing things up to balance the color, then remembered I had forgotton the orange. I look forward to having seperate containers for hot and cold food. as it is I will have to pull food out to microwave it.

DorianNight- first I use a flat ice pack under my box, then wrap or put in insulated bag.
I also cheated when it came to the rice balls. I used Annie Chun's rice express, sticky white rice. I plan to learn to make it myself, but until then I just microwave the bowl for 1-2 min., scoop it into a silicone heartshaped icetray. Let it cool then pop out. Leave as is or decorate with toasted sesame or nori punches. As an alternative I did roll some in nori, similar to sushi.

Here is ia picture of two lunches showing an attempt to balance the color. One works better than the other. I think I tried to over bALANCE THE FIRSTT ONE. It helps to think about color when planning. You can also make small items or buy them  in the freezer section to pack in the bento. Like the mini crab cakes, meatballs, stuffed mushrooms, mini bagel sandwhiches, etc. You can also make fried rice and pack it into one side instead of rice balls.  Use anything you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phoenyx
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010 05:39:51 PM »

I love the idea of a bento box... but I have a few things holding me back from buying one or even creating one and using it.

2. I can't make sushi T_T I fail at it... and I fail at most Asian food style things... I also haven't found any simple recipes for said food. Any tips from fellow Bento box users as to what I can make/put in a bento box?

There are probably some purists who may yell at me for this... but who said your bento just had to have Japanese/Asian food?  I've seen some pretty impressive bentos made with western dishes.   As I understand it, the most important things about a bento are the presentation and the care taken in creating it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blackie.sage
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010 02:11:18 PM »

1. How do you keep things refrigerated? For me, I need protein during the day, and I also like sushi and such, but there doesn't seem to be a way to keep this cold. What does everyone else do? Or are you all eating tings that can sit out for really really long periods of time?

These Bento boxes turned out awesome and I am supremely jealous. In high school I would have killed to tote something so cool around. As an adult I still would like them because I am at school and work from 8am-12am and it's a 45 min drive home... So I eat all my meals on campus and the regular boxed lunches I make get old fast... Also if I make something that needs a freezer pack I have a hard time because it means I have to eat it by at least lunch because by the time I eat dinner it would be warm.. .

Once again great job and I love the fact you made awesome practice bentos that look so good!

JustBento.com

This website is like, the most awesome bento site IMO.

I think her recipes are so easy to follow and she has some great ideas. For instance, I never thought of making my own furikake (tasty, salty toppings sprinkled on rice), plus she makes sure everything is safe at room temperature for a few hours just in case you don't have access to a fridge, or she will suggest an ice pack or even frozen fruit as a bento cooler. Frozen fruit!! By the time you get around to eating it, the fruit has thawed enough to eat, plus it kept all your other foods cold! Ingenious.

And Phoenyx is right, bento doesn't have to be Japanese all the time. I often take spaghetti or baked beans or mini hamburgers in my bento. Tonight's bento dinner consists of rice, strawberries, cucumber and fat free ranch dip, a hardboiled egg, and some baked beans. Not much there is very asian. But it looks adorable. haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
EllieFunt
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010 12:58:35 PM »

I have Bento envy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010 09:52:29 PM »

Me too!!! Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookielynn
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010 11:16:46 AM »

I actually have a fridge at work, but I refuse to keep my food in it. (Science experiement-worthy leftovers, stolen food, and the occasional bite taken out of a sandwich.) I haven't had any trouble at all with my Laptop Lunch and an ice pack. Though, all of my lunches have been vegan, so I don't know how meat and cheese would fare.

I'm another bento non-purist. I took rice and tofu the first time, and immediately discovered that what I really wanted was pasta salad and cookies... with fruit and raw veggies, of course. I would love to see more "American" bento... or just fancied-up lunches, if that's too much of an oxymoron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010 12:26:25 PM »

I have recently made an americal bento. After finding these mini peperoni slices I made a personal pizza and sliced it then added snacks from my freezer, corndog bites and mini tacos (a mini burger would be better). I added the browny, grapes, and carrot sticks as traditional american lunch fare then filled gaps with cherry tomatoes and cheese.

I am planning a pasta one with antipast scewers; mozzerelle balls, cherry tomatoes, and mini peperoni skewered on a pick. Maybe a couple meatballs and a simple pasta.

I can also use more of those tacos and make quesadillas, more cherry tomatoes, and maybe rice or beans. Tostadas made with tortillas chips would be cute.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010 12:28:32 PM by ysmeine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Imply Image Depth
How to Photograph in Infra Red.
How to Use Positive and Negative Space
How to Select What goes in the Image
How to Create a Sunstar Effect in Camera Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...