A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 305,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dumb sewing question, re: seams  (Read 627 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xmelinda
« on: April 28, 2005 01:37:28 PM »

In my office, one of our doctors showed up with 3-4 lab coats that apparently were the wrong fabric and the wrong size, but he's just been hanging onto them forever, so they're not returnable  Roll Eyes  So my co-workers said "I bet crafty Melinda could do something with them" -- of course, that's a challenge.  The fabric has a high polyester content, so can't really be dyed very well, but I think what I could do is make some simple tote bags for my co-workers.

I really just *barely* know how to sew just a tiny bit, so this is probably a very silly question, but if I'm just using a sewing machine, not a serger or anything like that, will I need to turn under the seams to keep them from coming apart?  I mean like when you turn under once and then twice so the cut edge is inside.  Seems like if I do that to all the edges and then seam them together, it would be too bulky.  But would it unravel and come apart if I just seam the cut edges and put them on the inside?  I don't need these tote bags to look super-professional, just something to carry books or something.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
pibbgirl
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005 01:40:57 PM »

If the edge of the fabric isn't going to show and its going to be seamed together anyway I don't see any reason why you would need to do anything fancy to the edges.  Its not going to continue fraying until the bag falls apart or anything.  I think that's what you were asking...I hope that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005 02:12:46 PM »

Yeah, that is basically what I was asking (I'm too wordy  Roll Eyes ) -- Thanks!

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005 04:52:53 PM »

if the machine you use has a zig zag stitch, you can seam first and then zig zag stitch inside the seam allowance. that will prevent additional fraying. it's kinda like a poor-girl's serger.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
The Worst Dressed Celebrities Of The Week
The Best Dressed Celebrities Of The Week
Maoli Arts Month Wearable Art Show 2014
Talking With Sarah Ahmed of DL 1961
Shopping with Supermodel Shalom Harlow - From the Videofashion Vault
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Dress
Wonderful Washi
Meatless Monday: Aubergine, Tomato and Goat Cheese Bake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...