A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coloured Leather Scraps  (Read 888 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 08, 2010 12:29:35 PM »

I managed to find several bags of small pieces of leather in blues, greys, browns, black, even white and red, I was so excited when I was given them but a year later I am still no closer to using them up and I have a lot.

I have a ton of craft books, have scoured the internet and still no ideas, I know you crafty divas will be able to break me out of this crafting slump.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010 12:41:56 PM »

How big are the scraps?  And what weight are they?  Are they thick enough and stiff enough to carve on them?

I'm thinking pendants, earrings, bracelets, any kind of jewelry, if they are slightly stiff.

For bigger pieces, you can make small medicine bags to be worn like a pendant for putting parking meter money in, or bigger pouches for credit cards, ipods, cell phones, etc.

If they are bigger still, and soft enough, a small purse maybe.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 12:42:20 PM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010 01:39:27 PM »

Oooh this could definitely work, the jewelery I mean, I have differing thicknesses and weights of leather. Just one question what would I use to carve the leather?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010 02:23:04 PM »

There are several things that you can use. 

If you only want to make a depression, such as a line drawing, you can dampen the leather and use a dead ballpoint pen, or a stylus of some sort, like a knitting needle.

If you want to do some actual carving, you will probably need a v-gouge.  Depending on where you are, there are a few places that sell things like this.  A leather store sells tools, as well as a woodworking store.  You might also find a tool like that at a local craft store.  Just make sure your leather is damp.  It's easier to work.

You can also woodburn on leather, but make sure you test your tool on a waste piece before you actually start on a piece of good leather.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kristov
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010 05:28:00 AM »

There are many thing you can do, depending on your still with a knife, or sewing needle.

For carving, a simple craft knife, and steady even pressure can work (wet leather beforehand), and only go in roughly 1 mm deep or so. There is a tool called a swivel knife, that is designed for carving, however, for just trying things out, a craft knife is fine. For indenting and whatnot, dampen the leather, and using vasious shaped tools, the leather will hold the stamp, even once dry. Now this is only for non-dyed, top grain leather. The coloring is usually flesh colored, and is not very exciting.

Prints and such are great for purses, wallets, accents, patches, key fobs, etc. I try and use my scraps for roses if I have enough to do it, but it's rare.

Check out my deviant art for leather stuff if you get the chance. Has a few photos up front, but take a gander if you're interested. Who knows, maybe you'll see something you'll want to improve upon. Cheesy Good luck!!
http://kristov-gregoriovich.deviantart.com/

Check out www.tandyleatherfactory.com for tools and such, they have several local shops per state, and is completely worth checking out if you're close. They should be able to help you with any tools you may want or use.

And no, I don't work there. It is where I was taught how to cut, carve, stitch, dye, and treat leather for various applications. Plus they offer free intro classes, and for more advanced stuff they have pay classes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Evil triumphs, when good men do nothing.

Visit my Etsy store for quality "dark" leather goods: www.FleshCrafters.etsy.com
diya_1987
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010 10:51:29 PM »

u cud make cute key chains with leather scraps.....they make great gifts

i made sum n my friends luved them
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mink_bikini

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010 05:36:07 PM »

Thanks for the ideas and the links, I picked up some Leather needles (sewing machine needles) and some heavy duty thread, now I just need to get the guts up together to sew with Leather... a new and strange frontier  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jon Kolko on Career Advice For Young Designers
What Gets Easier and What Gets Harder
What It Means to Be a Strategist
Why a Psychologist Chooses Design Career
Design An Arts Education
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...