A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red Tray  (Read 672 times)
Tags for this thread: tray , glass_tray  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

joby560
« on: January 26, 2010 06:38:49 PM »

I whipped this one up yesterday using Spectrum System 96 fusing glass.  It has a transparent Red base with numerous opaque squares stacked in the center.

It was fired to 1475 degrees and slumpe at 1250 degrees.  Measures about 10 inches square

THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010 06:45:18 PM »

That's awesome! How exactly do you do that? (Not that I'm going to be making anything that requires more than my knitting needles, sewing machine, and paint, considering I'm going to college next year--I'm just interested to know Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
artteach7
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010 07:15:56 PM »

Oh, how beautiful! I took a summer seminar on glass fusing and loved it but don't have the ability to do it. And never did anything that big... it is gorgeous!!! I love love love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"How important are the visual arts in our society? I feel very strongly that the visual arts are of vast and incalculatable importance. Of course, I could be prejudiced. I am a visual art" ~Kermit T Frog
zuzu123
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010 08:40:41 PM »

This is beautiful! The colors are great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joby560
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010 06:22:59 PM »

Thanks for all of the compliments.. I appreciate it!

plumbucket:  It is really a very easy process.  It just requires a few special tools.  You use glass that is made for fusing.  Cut the pieces, stack them no top of each other.  Then you glue the pieces down so they don't move.

You have to have a kiln.  You slowly heat the glass up over several hours to 1425-1500 degrees to fuse all the pieces together.  The glass becomes molten and will form itself into one piece.  You slowly cool the glass to anneal it for durability.  Then you place it on a ceramic or stainless steel mold to slump it into the shape you want.  This piece is a tray and I have a ceramic tray mold.  You re-heat the glass in the kiln slowly over several hours to about 1250 degrees and then re-cool slowly over several hours to anneal again.  Each fire takes about 12-14 hours.   It is easy to prepare the glass.  The time to fuse, anneal and slump are what take so long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookie Recipe
How to Make a Next-Level Fruit Salad
How to Make Movie Theater Popcorn Cake
Candied-Ginger Shortbread with Joel McHale
How to Make Peppermint Bark Candy
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...