A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shrinky Dink 3D 'Diamond' Ring [UPDATE: TUTORIAL ADDED on pg 1]  (Read 29387 times)
Tags for this thread: shrinky_dink , shrinky_jewelry , tutorial , ring , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2010 , diamond  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gwennie363
« on: January 26, 2010 11:38:22 AM »

I saw some shrinkydink rings from other Craftsters and they inspired me to try one of my own. It was kind of a silly quick project, but I like how it turned out.. I think I'll try a 'gold' band next time..

From above:

Tutorial:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=335636.msg3885636#msg3885636
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010 03:35:17 PM by jungrrl - Reason: added link to tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010 11:47:52 AM »

I can see a huge market for those, as engagement ring 'place holders' Grin It's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010 01:16:30 PM »

That is super cute - how did you attach the pieces?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
athenaknits?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010 01:58:23 PM »

That is adorable, and so clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gwennie363
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010 07:47:35 PM »

I cut the pieces in such a way that they all fit together, and then I just put a little bit of E3600 on the joints so they're nice and secure Smiley They're SO quick to make (if you don't count drying time for the glue and varnish! Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gwennie363
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010 07:55:46 PM »

If I have time I'll post pictures of what the pieces look like so anyone can make it. Like a mini tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010 12:44:14 PM »

I would really appreciate it if you do - the more I see it, the more I like it.

Did you have to fiddle with any sanding after the shrinking to get the pieces to fit nicely?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
gwennie363
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010 01:37:23 PM »

As long as they're cut correctly, you don't need to do any sanding at all. I'll try to put up a tutorial today Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mothdust
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010 02:27:03 PM »

haha that's gorgeous! Really cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gwennie363
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010 06:05:15 PM »

Okay, so I've never done a tutorial, so if something is unclear lemme know. Its a pretty simple process so everything should be alright Tongue

So for the first step, you want to know what the size the finished product should be. ShrinkyDinks (SD) come with a little scale ruler so you can find out what size in inches you need to make the prebaked piece in order for it to end up the right size when shrunk. I usually do a rough little sketch or random shape of the final size that I want the piece to be, and then measure it with the SD ruler (which as you can see I have drawn onto my regular ruler becaus I'm perhaps a little obsessed with SD at the moment). That number then translates into how many 'real' inches you need to make the piece. In this case, it was 1".

Using the measurement from the little blob (1") we'll draw the outlline of the diamond as well as a little channel running through the middle. We need to make one piece with a channel cut through the top half and a 'tail' on the end and one piece with the channel cut through the bottom half. This way when they're shrunk, one diamond piece will interlock with the other one, which in turn will stick into the band. I outlined one shape with purple, and the other shape with green so that it is more clear. Below the template piece is another drawing with the lines that we will draw on the pieces once they are cut.

We'll also draw the band to the specifics of your ring size. To find out how big I needed my band to be, I slid a ring that already fits down a tapering Covergirl mascara tube (I also used the mascara to shape the final piece once it was baked). In the middle of the band we'll cut a hole so that the diamond will fit in it. I used a hole punch.

Cut out the two pieces and then trace the lines in Sharpie.

To colour my diamond, I used my  Prismacolour markers. They don't hold up as well as sharpies (they tend to stain the glaze a little bit, but in this case it doesnt matter as the diamond is all the same colour), but much better than cheap waterbased markers. I coloured the band with coloured pencils.

Put the pieces in the oven and bake to the temperatures/times specified in the SD package. Pull them out of the oven and quickly pick up (careful, its hot, but cool enough that I pick them up almost right out of the oven) the band and bend it around whatever object you found that will work for you. If you dont get it right the first time, you can put the cooled SD back in the oven until it softens and try it again.

Take the two diamond pieces and fit them together. I put a little bit of E3600 glue to keep them together, but regular white glue would probably work too. Then put a little glue on the hole of the band and fit the diamond into place. I find that the fit is snug enough that you don't even need glue, but wear and tear throughout the day may shake it loose. You could made different coloured gems and switch them up if you don't glue the diamond in.

I tried a more elongated diamond shape as well. Don't know which one I like better.

Tips etc..
*to figure out the width of the channel in the middle of the faux-diamond, I measured an already shrunk piece of SD and then converted that number back to 'real' inches. A channel of 1/4(real)" makes the pieces fit perfectly, however if you are unsure at your measuring skills, just cut one channel a little bigger. The glue will fill in the difference.
*To check if your diamond will fit in the band, place the tail inside the hole before baking. Does it fit? Then it will fit when it's shrunk since SD shrinks uniformly. Again though, if you're unsure, cut the tail a little thinner and the glue will make it work.

I just whipped this up, so if you guys find errors or something doesn't make sense, please tell me and I'll fix it Smiley

Happy crafting Wink
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010 12:56:33 AM by gwennie363 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010 07:01:27 PM »

awesome - thanks for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
kritterkarin
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010 07:14:26 PM »

Muchas, muchas gracias!  Tutes always appreciated.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010 06:17:40 PM »

So clever!! I think I have to try that soon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Challenge Vote Please--http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431933.0#axzz2uu2i2vML
To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to kno
pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010 05:47:43 AM »

Aaaah! this is so clever, and cool, and i'm going to try one this afternoon!

thanks for the tute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Musefreak

I belong to you- Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010 09:10:35 AM »

i just saw the feature of this on facebook and love the idea- thank you so much for posting the tutorial, can't wait to try it out when i have time for it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't resist "The Resistance" Cheesy
-
my Wist
-
Blog

interested in personal swaps
bunnilump
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010 12:51:56 PM »

This is a fantastic project! Thank you for sharing  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkasapeach
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010 11:26:54 AM »

such a great idea! Thanks a lot for the tutorial  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smashu

punk rock meets saturday morning cartoons..

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010 11:30:24 AM »

This is so clever! I love it! And thanks for posting the tute, you rock Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Smashu :[    ♥   My blog! http://smashworks.blogspot.com/    ♥   Pinterest   ♥   Projects 2012(114)

In progress:   ♥   50+ Projects 2013(Cool
DawnsTrees
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010 11:45:41 PM »

Very cute! The film that I am using doesn't come with a scale ruler so this is going to take some experimentation, especially for the band... but I really want to try! Any suggestions besides trial and error?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010 05:20:57 AM »

you only need one scrap for a test - if you trace the marks from a ruler and shrink it you'll have a comparison Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrogers1
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010 08:57:03 AM »

This is so cute! I wish my boyfriend would give me one!!! ha ha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maggie Smiley
"The one thing the world will never have enough of is the outrageous" -- Salvador Dali
PinkChick
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010 07:54:24 PM »

I just bought some shrinky dink plastic at the craft store. Thanks for the tutorial-I have always wanted a pink diamond-and now I can!!! LOL! Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live Every Moment, Laugh Every Day, Love Beyond Words!
amylouwho93

Wild 'n' Crazy since 1993

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010 09:28:04 AM »

I saw your tutorial and LOVED it!  I have since made four individual rings:  a ruby, a diamond, an emerald (mixed shades of green), and a super special made-up gemstone (purple and orange).  I used a silver sharpie to color one band, then bent it with the rough side out to show off the shine.  The ruby's in that one....The other are just gold colored with prismacolor markers.  Oh, and the gems are all colored with Sharpie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gwennie363
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010 09:11:14 PM »

Thanks so much guys - I'm glad the tutorial was understandable! Cheesy

amylouwho93 (and anyone else who has done this project) I would love to see your versions - it would be awesome if you could post a picture (or a link to one) in this topic ! I wouldn't have thought to use silver sharpie (even though I have one!) on the band. What a great idea.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fashion_disciple
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010 11:05:53 AM »

This is a great project! I hope you don't mind, but I am thinking of making one similar but with a really large sized "diamond" (if I do make it I will post it!). Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011 09:08:09 PM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2010 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2010 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
whatthepuck
I touched the Stanley Cup!!!!

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011 08:47:10 AM »

That's great. I really like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetdeeds

What is your spaghetti policy here?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011 08:08:04 PM »

Thanks for sharing, gwennie363! And also for being one of the Best of 2010!  I've always loved shrinky dinks and am glad to see them all grown up lol

Does anyone else have finished projects to share?  Please let me live vicariously through your crafts until I can buy some shrinky dinks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OooLala
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012 03:24:23 PM »

What a brilliant idea! Love this and the tutorial is great.

Job well done!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smsmth398
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012 10:06:24 PM »

What a great class you are offering! Everyone really needs a good foundation. It is sad to see something beautiful with wonky connections that you know will be falling apart in no time. I wish you great success with this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About "Triptych, 1974" by Francis Bacon
Learn About "Ponies" by the Artist Jeff Koons
Painting Lesson - Infused Light
Painting Lesson - Spotlight Effect
Painting Lessons - Landscape Commission 1
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...