A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 303,211
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with modifying a sock pattern?  (Read 488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 25, 2010 05:53:04 PM »

Alright, I finished my first scarf a couple weeks back (I'm still sewing it up, yay procrastination!I'll post "soon"). Now I'm just mentally preparing myself for some future knitting projects, that's just the who I am, super-analyzing nerd, yup yup. I've been terrified by socks, mainly because IT TURNS, but this is what prepping is for, at least for me. It took me forever to find a magic loop cuff down sock pattern, (geez why was it so hard?) but it has a smaller gauge than I want to knit, I can only buy so many different types of needles and yarns as a beginner(plus it'll take wayyyy too long to knit with that gauge)! About twice as large a gauge, or half the gauge? IDK whichever way it goes, I'm using a gauge of roughly 4sts/inch, the sock pattern has 7sts/inch.

So far, I've got the modifications going fine, up until the heel turn, I hardly understand why you're knitting it like that in the original pattern, how am I suppose to modify it!?
Original- CO 64 sts Change to 32 sts and do the ribbing blah de blah split into 16 when you want to do your heel flap.
Ok so you knit 16 rows of preferred heel flap stitchy whatchamacallits.(Eye of the partridge is what I'll be doing)
Now for the heel and then when I enter it into my brain for conversion this is what I get:
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '000101000101001011111010010101010101010100000000000000000000000000000000000000000101010110')

It's very sad, especially since as I'm typing I really should be doing my Algebra HW while watching One Tree Hill, but my brain can't "rest" or really do anything until it knows a solution is soon on it's way, so please help me out, here's the original instruc. for the turn:

Turn Heel as follows:

Row 1:  Sl 1, K17 sts, K2 tog, K1 turn

Row 2:  Sl 1, P5 sts, P2 tog, P1, turn

Row 3:  Sl 1, K6, K2 tog, K1, turn

Row 4:  Sl 1, P7, P2 tog, P1, turn

Repeat rows 3 and 4, increasing 1 additional K or P stitch after the Sl 1 until all side stitches are consumed.  End with a purl row

BTW Sorry for the rant, my brain is just SO sad right now T^T Just so we're clear, I know the action and all, I just don't 100% understand. I'm like a parrot, you can teach me how to say it but it doesn't mean I know what I'm saying. Explanation with conversion would be awesome for future reference. I will go be a good student and make my Algebra teacher proud now Cheesy but, yeah OTH Is almost over >3<

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010 10:10:14 AM by StripedPajamas » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my new fashion blog here
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010 07:08:17 PM »

You poor thing! I know, I had the same HuhHuhHuh?? all over my face in my first sock adventure. Just do exactly what it says - you will NOT be knitting to the end of each row while you do this. You are turning back and forth and amazingly a little pocket for your heel will just magically appear!

So - what you are doing is picking up a stitch on each side as you go back and forth via knitting two together and voila eventually you will finally end with all the stitches on the needle at the end of the row. Actually if you sit down with your pen and pencil and map it out on some graph paper, you can get a more graphic picture of what you're doing - at first 5 st, then 6, then 7, etc. until you've done them all on both sides.

I don't suppose I'm making any better sense than the instructions, huh. Better wait for soozeq - she's a whole lot better explainer than I am!

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010 07:55:53 PM »

ok, so those are called short rows right? because your not knitting the WHOLE row, so they're short. I do kind of get it, but the thing is I don't know the formula  to create a definite number in modifying it, I'll have half as many stitches in total.

This is the pattern right..
Row 1:  Sl 1, K17 sts, K2 tog, K1 turn<<<<

but I will have half the amount of stitches right, but this isn't the full 16 stitches of my heel flap, so I have NO idea on where to cut the stitches in half, and then which ones are just separate altogether. Then just knitting some of the stitches over again but not all of the stitches over again makes it hard to know which stitches are what and you can't just count up to 32 stitches and slice that up. -sigh- and I'm suppose to be a honors student >3< math truly is not my thing.
It'd be called the knitthedarnsocks formula.

Row 2:  Sl 1, P5 sts, P2 tog, P1, turn <<< why do I start purling 5? why not 1,2,3,4?

Row 3:  Sl 1, K6, K2 tog, K1, turn

Row 4:  Sl 1, P7, P2 tog, P1, turn

What I do understand is how you Purl a, Knit b ,  Purl c, etc. because you're slowly enlarging the pocket for your foot and eventually you'll have just widened it as far as you can go right? I wanna know the magic formula for this.

I just don't have a clue of the effects of doing everything else you slip 1, so you can easily pick it up later on, correct? OK so now you knit ___ amount of stitches, but why that amount? Now I THINK you've to k2tog so you can start the little pocket? and enlarge it as you go.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010 11:19:54 AM »

OH WOW! I just drew out the original pattern like you suggested, and turned it upside down for every turn and now it all just seems so reasonable. Slip 1, knit 17 (half the stitches +1, helps so much in understanding it) ,ssk or k2tog (the decrease makes the turn, yes?), K1, turn. So just making the pocket (that's in the center and you're working on because you turned it around) bigger by K/P 1 more than the last, until you have gone through all the stitches. Now I can modify, I feel like such a dummy though.

For my new pattern I think it'd go like this

CO 32 Sts, knit your ribbing and leg.

Split into 16sts and knit the back for the heel flap for 16 rows

Slip 1, K9 (16/2+1), ssk/k2tog, K1, turn
Slip 1, P2, P2tog, turn
Slip 1, K3, ssk/k2tog, turn
Slip 1, P4, P2tog, turn
and keep going on and on until I've gone through it all, ending with purl.
Then I think I knit across the whole thing and that's when I start picking up my gusset and instep right?

I feel so overjoyed Cheesy probably more than I need to be, yeah, definitely more than I need to be.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010 05:14:29 PM »

Yay for you!!!! I had forgotten when I replied that you had had to revamp the pattern because of the yarn - so I should actually have noted that when you do a heel like this you have to have an odd number of stitches so that you have a real honest-to-goodness center stitch.

And they aren't really what people call short rows, trying to think of the difference and I think it is because in a real short row you are kind of decreasing the number of stitches on your rows as you go whereas here you are increasing the # of stitches, if that makes any sense? So you don't have to wrap and turn, you k2tog and turn ....

Congratulations! Figuring it out is a huge thing ... and no, you should NOT feel like a dummy! You're trying to do two things at once - your first ever socks AND modifying the pattern!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010 03:13:58 PM »

I just wanted to add a thanks for this post. I'm trying to knit my first socks and I want to use the Magic Loop method but I thought it would be impossible to adapt a pattern for what I want to do. This makes me think I can do it, so thanks from me too!

Don't Talk To Me I'm Knitting!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chocolate Sticky Buns with Chef Jehangir Mehta at Graffiti
Cheese Cave Advenutres with Cheese Expert Dennis Cottin at Artisanal
Hickory Smoked Barbecue Ribs Recipe
Yougurt Marinated Chicken Recipe
How to Cook Creole Fish
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...