A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,651
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: IV (Intravenous) Mitts  (Read 810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CMV
« on: January 25, 2010 03:45:43 PM »

I recently read (I can't recall where) that someone was making (knitting, crocheting???) IV mitts.  I often do preemie hats, chemo caps, etc., and thought I would like to add IV mitts.  I have not been successful on Craftster or Google, so I'm asking for some help.  I am also a crocheter (not as good as knitting) so a pretty simple pattern would be great.  Thanks for your help.

Sorry, maybe I should not have abbreviated (intravenous) IV.  Hopefully this will bring a knitting or crochet pattern.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010 03:58:51 PM by CMV » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mstelena
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010 12:27:25 PM »

I haven't heard of IV mitts, but I have seen patterns for 'PICC' bands.  (and 'cast socks'.. to go over a person's toes while their foot is in a cast)

Making a mitt with a thumb hole (etc) with the idea that it;'ll fit over someone's IV  (in their wrist/hand) would be problematic... IV's are placed in too many places (and they vary by individual too).  Plus (speaking as an RN) they would probably get in the way (and if someone is sick enough to need an IV, easy, immediate access to it is important). 

PICC lines, on the other hand, are being used a lot more both for in-hospital use and for long-term-care, and even home infusion (PICC lines-peripherally inserted central catheters, for those who don't know- are like really long IV lines inserted into the upper/inner arm) and having a band over them really helps to keep them out of the way (and since they are just a short sleeve, they can be easily moved out of the way).  They are much more 'stable', and kept in place for (up to) a month at a time (unlike an IV which needs to be changed every couple of days, and has a greater tendency to 'clog' or slip out of place).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010 12:51:01 PM »

Couldn't some reversed fingerless mitts work? Just the fingers and nothing to get in the way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pryor_k
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010 08:36:53 PM »

Pattern for PICC arm band http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Picc_Arm_Band_Pattern__D50510220.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CMV
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010 04:32:00 AM »

Thanks everyone.  Based on mstelena's advice, I am very hesitant to do the mitts.  I was considering them being used by patients who are receiving chemo as outpatients and could have their own set of mitts to use if they'd like.  Fortunately, I am not speaking from personal experience so I don't know if even that is a good idea. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010 10:56:31 AM »

i htink this is hard. but im surely trying it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 4/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 2/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 15/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 12/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 11/15
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...