A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wisdom teeth into Earrings?  (Read 3511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gamergirL337
« on: January 25, 2010 03:15:14 PM »

Ok, I just got my wisdom teeth removed about 2 weeks ago, and I desperately want to turn them into earrings. I have 00g ears, and by a chance of miracle my teeth fit PERFECTLY into the holes! But im worried about it being sanitary? or if it would affect my ears any? I don't want to get an infection because of them.

I have let them soak in Peroxide for 2 days, turning them almost completely white, but there is still a bit of some kind of cartilage around the tips (where it was protruding in my mouth i guess) and i'm wondering about filing that down, and maybe wrapping the teeth in some kind of stainless steel, or acrylic of some sort?

I've never really done anything like this before, so i'm not sure on technical terms, I do no gauges and materials but thats about all i know in this field, so I'm hoping theres some crafty craftsters out there that could help me with this if possible?

Any suggestions or idea's for how i could do this correctly?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010 09:03:40 PM »

i'm definitely no expert, but i've seen acrylic gages on here..  if you could find a mold maybe the teeth could go in with clear acrylic?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010 06:51:03 AM »

I'd research this of craftster to see if there are any health related issues to be aware of.  Soaking in peroxide may clean germs but if there is tissue still decaying that you cannot see it could become a problem. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bionic Dingo
Cunning Artificer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010 03:30:56 PM »

I'd guess it'd probably be fine provided you can get them entirely clean. After all, you see plugs made of bone all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<< I'm on Etsy!  www.magpiehouse.etsy.com >>
catdaddytn
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010 09:55:31 AM »

You certainly have a creative idea and legit concerns.  Personally, I was glad to get the process of wisdom teeth extraction completed and never wanted to see them again.  ha ha!

This might not work, but I wonder about drilling a hole in the tooth.  You might be able to wire wrap the teeth, like a gemstone without a hole.

It seems like we kept our kids' baby teeth forever and they were the same as the day they were pulled.

good luck.  Please post the completed project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
feeshy

Over my dead pineapple

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010 02:29:27 PM »

What about baking them? I have no idea on the temperature and time, but surely that would dry out any moisture and kill any nasties in them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only signature he needed was my fist. With a pen in it. That I was signing with.
gamergirL337
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010 05:58:48 PM »

yeah Feeshy, i was thinking about running them through an Autoclave, my buddy owns a tattoo parlor and he may let me use that for the teeth...I don't know though, haven't had a chance to talk to him about it....

and catdaddytn, thanks for the encouragement! and I would put them on a wire like that, but i want to wear them in my ear's which are gauged to 00g and so i can't wear regular earrings...but if i could, that would definitely be the first thing i would consider and its a good idea i can tell my friends if they get their teeth removed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shelanie
Moma D

Everything is better with ric-rac.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010 06:53:09 PM »

Dating a dentist was good for useless knowledge--

Once your teeth are out of your mouth they dry out and eventually crack and break apart. So putting them in the oven to dry them might accelerate this process. My suggestion would be to put them in something like resin to preserve them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

Personal swap friendly!
acidtrix
hell yeah

To the Bat Tank!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010 12:12:02 PM »

one of my jewelry books at home has a project to make earrings out of wisdom teeth! But they're hanging on French wires, so I don't really know if it would help at all. I think (my) wisdom teeth are too big to seal into acrylic plugs so i don't know if that would work either? I suspect the health concerns for wearing them directly in your holes are pretty minor though, if your holes are well healed and the teeth have been properly cleaned. Lots of piercing jewelry materials are completely unregulated (especially acrylics) - at least your teeth are organic and, well, were grown by you Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out at www.acidtrix.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 9/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 1/12
How to Improve Your Crochet Stitching Part 1/2
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 10/12
How to Improve Your Crochet Stitching Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...