A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Snackage  (Read 981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eclectic_Confusism
You have not begun to experience weird!

A most Excellent adventure smurf dudes!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 07, 2010 04:08:17 AM »

Greetings Craftster's and fellow foodies  Smiley

As a notorious snacker I am on the hunt for snack foods that are fairly healthy (or just plain SUPER AWESOME! Grin ) and relatively easy to whip up.
The kind of thing you can eat in place of a handful/ bowl of supermarket chips and the likes, and not feel too terribly about it or worried about just what went into them.
Preferably things that will keep (as long as mitts are kept off it  Wink )
Savoury or Sweet!

Raid your recipe box! Scan your shelves! What ideas do you have? Smiley

-Bron
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- I am the KING of all that is confounded! Smurfs and Sporks are equals and in my own mind i am a genius. Gadzooks lad you are an odd sock! Eeeexcellent -
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010 05:04:22 AM »

Possibly not what you are looking for but I love carrots with cream cheese. Cheesy Very low tech
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TazFromOz

Invisible Bicycle... wait a minute!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010 03:27:25 PM »

Nuts are something my mum (she's healthy and skinny) snacks on - though she weights it all out before hand.  Anything besides peanuts is good.  I've found pistachios with the shells on are great, because you have to peel them yourself and it slows the snackage down.

Popcorn is also great.  Pop it yourself and add only minimal salt and butter - you don't need much more than they take to pop and it's cheap too.

Like raerae said carrot sticks are also good - though if you're going for healthy you might want to leave the cream cheese out  Grin.  If I'm going to a barbecue I quite often take fresh sliced veg - carrots, capsicum, broccoli, celery, etc and a dip of 50:50 cream cheese and sour cream (mixed) topped with drizzled sweet chilli sauce.  It's popular and pretends to be healthy Grin.  Also goes great with corn chips.

Fruit.

I made some bananna bread last week - though that's not particularly healthy.  I also make muffins sometimes, there are a few healthy recipes out there.  If you have trouble finding some let me know.  I've got one here somewhere I'll dig up for you.  Substituting low fat yoghurt for most of the oil or butter in recipes works pretty well - and it also means you need less sugar.

Good-luck =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
dancedupapillon
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010 11:00:57 PM »

like Tazfromoz said, popcorn is a great snack!  I pop mine on the stovetop with a little canola or olive oil, but you can use an air popper too.  Olive oil is a nice substitute for butter, if you're trying to be healthy, and is deligthful with a little grating of parmesan.  You can also sprinkle spices and dried herb mixes instead of salt if you're watching your sodium intake.

I like to keep chopped up veggies in the fridge for easy snacking.  Red peppers and cucumbers are my favorites, and carots and celery stay crunchy in a container of water in the fridge.

Fruit leather is great too! http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_fruit_leather/
as is apple sauce, which is easily made and can be flavoured with other fruits (berries, peaches, pears... yum!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Eclectic_Confusism
You have not begun to experience weird!

A most Excellent adventure smurf dudes!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010 03:10:46 AM »

Awesome suggestions! Hadn't realised you could do fruit leather in the oven till I read a post. Most excellent *evil grin + finger pyramid*
Good way to use up excess apples when they start going wrinkly/ past the point when you want to eat them normal apple style.

I have tried to make up a big batch of air popped popcorn before and instead of using butter I used canola spray/ spray oil stuff. Didn't keep as well as I'd hoped though that could have been down to the spray or keeping it in a plastic bag. Still ate it though  Grin hahaha

There is a tub of almonds sitting in the pantry and while they are fantastic (2nd best after pistachios  Wink ) it does get slightly monotonous eating them plain after awhile. Does anyone have an idea/recipe for making spiced nuts or how to do your own honey coating on them (damn you NutShack and your nice nuts!)??

Also any ideas for making your own ... umm know what i'm thinking but trying to think of the words.. like potato chips but healthy or from other things(like how people make their own nachos) Hope that makes some sense  Smiley

-Bron
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- I am the KING of all that is confounded! Smurfs and Sporks are equals and in my own mind i am a genius. Gadzooks lad you are an odd sock! Eeeexcellent -
dancedupapillon
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010 08:38:03 AM »

I've been wanting to try making veggie chips instead of potato chips.  Slicing beets, turnips, carrots, etcetera really thin with a mandolin or something and baking them.  There must be instructions online or something
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010 10:04:24 AM »

I'm going against what everyone else said about cream cheese and peanuts.

Though peanuts might be a higher fat nut, they're full of protein, and fiber, which is good in the long run for keeping you fuller for longer.

Get the low-fat or the one that starts with n and is like, a French word or something, cream cheese, or try getting the little tubs of cream cheese that hotels have with their breakfast bar.  You can find them at either Cost Co or Sams, or try looking in your local grocery store.

But nuts are good, and some crackers are really good too.  Try sunflower seeds!  And keep some slices of fruit on hand, and peanut butter is your friend too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Styles That Maximize Clip-In Hair Extensions
How to Style a Side Bun
Michelle Obama Sports Brand New Highlighted Do
4 Top Celebrity Hair Trends Anyone Can Do
Best Products For Voluminous Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...