A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Denim Rag Quilt  (Read 8308 times)
Tags for this thread: denim , quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ecuadoriana
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010 08:15:32 PM »

WOW!!! You did an amazing job- making that quilt with four kids!!!

I've got a box of old torn & frayed jeans that I've been putting off doing anything with- guess I've been a little "frayed" to attempt a quilt project with them- I am famous for my totally crooked and screwed up quilts and sewing projects! But you have inspired me!!!

How do you do that snipping to make it frayed like that? How close to you get to the stitches? I want to try this, though I won't attempt something as large as yours.

Awesome- you and the quilt!!!   Smiley   Smiley   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
straw_holder

still striving for perfection...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010 08:24:52 PM »

WOW!!! You did an amazing job- making that quilt with four kids!!!

I've got a box of old torn & frayed jeans that I've been putting off doing anything with- guess I've been a little "frayed" to attempt a quilt project with them- I am famous for my totally crooked and screwed up quilts and sewing projects! But you have inspired me!!!

How do you do that snipping to make it frayed like that? How close to you get to the stitches? I want to try this, though I won't attempt something as large as yours.

Awesome- you and the quilt!!!   Smiley   Smiley   Smiley

I got as close as I could to the stitches without cutting through them.  It was HARD work and dulled my nice sewing shears.  I've read that using spring loaded scissors helps save your hand, but I didn't want to buy anything new for this project.

I'm so glad you are inspired!!  I have to tell you that this is a REALLY forgiving project.  It's actually why I made my rows not line up.  I figured if I did it on purpose, it would look way better than if it just ended up that way.  LOL  And I like the staggered look of the squares.  Let me know if you have any other questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010 11:18:50 PM »

This looks fantastic.  I have one that I made that I currently (winter) sleep with every night that I lovelovelove.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010 11:24:47 PM »

Sorry, I can't modify my post (I keep getting a popup that asks me if I want notification-???). 

For those who are interested in making one, it is an easy and forgiving project.  There are tons of tutorials all over the internet and in this site in particular. Please do a search.  Denim is not necessary--just any fabric that frays. My own version is at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=318697.0  Everyone can have such a beautiful quilt as the one demonstrated here.

(I an not trying to hijack this, just provide information--The more quilting we do, the happier our world is!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
straw_holder

still striving for perfection...

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010 06:04:02 AM »

No problem at all!  I'm all about sharing info.  This is such a simple project, that more people should be making them.  It's a great way reuse!

Here's the tutorial that I followed loosely.  I did a few things different (the main one being that I staggered my rows), but it gives very basic instructions right down to how to cut the jeans apart.  http://www.gloryquilts.com/patterns/denim.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecuadoriana
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010 07:22:04 AM »

Thanks for your help, Straw_Holder, and you too, BlondGirl! I am going to check those tutes out.

Straw_Holder, I see what you mean about purposely staggering the blocks. My quilts come out like that anyway- no matter how hard I try to line them up!!! I have discovered that if I just go ahead and really go out of my way to make them crooked and uneven it actually looks better, more funky! But the more I try to have them perfectly squared and lined up the more the flaws show! Weird, very weird!

I once tried one of those "pin wheel" type patterns. Not only did I almost have a mental breakdown from all that measuring and trying to perfectly line & match everything up, but in the end the pattern looked like I hurled my dinner all over the quilt anyway!

I am dragging that box of denim down tonight & giving it a try. Hey what's the worse that can happen?!

Thank you! Now go give those cutie pies a big hug from all us Craftsters!  Smiley   Smiley   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010 09:00:03 AM »

That's such a pretty, vibrant quilt!
But I mainly just wanted to comment that the expression on the face of the little girl in purple in the last photo cracks me up! Too funny!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
JenGoPop
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010 09:12:30 AM »

That is an AWESOME quilt!  And great recycling, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No more blog + no more facebook = more time for crafting!

I'm also JenGoPop at Ravelry.
MommyTheMaid
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010 11:30:42 AM »

Beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccstarr75
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010 12:09:31 PM »

OMGosh... I am so jealous of your quilt!! I have a whole stack of denim squares just waiting to be done like this, but I am still in the process of collecting all the colorful top pieces!  I have so many other projects I need to do first, I can't get to this, but they do provide me with some good scraps for it though.  I commend you on your denim cutting!  I not only didn't have the cast-off jeans to do it with, I didn't have the patience!  I found a lady on ebay selling denim squares and snatched some up!  But now they're sitting there taunting me, and your beautiful quilt is making my fingers itch! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Thanksgiving Stuffing in a Rice Cooker
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese from Scratch
Texas Barbecue Meal Recipe
How to Make July 4th Cupcakes
How to Bake a Flag Cake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...