A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
785 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glue that doesn't ripple light weight paper?  (Read 4729 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

burntsmore
« on: February 08, 2010 10:39:13 PM »

I want to glue scrapbooking paper to a cardboard box (makes it sound so exciting lol) but Elmer's Glue always ripples the paper when it dries. Is there any way to make sure it doesn't do that? Or would you just recommend getting modge podge or another glue?

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from." -Jodie Foster

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well."

Flickr
Wist
BattleMaidenStudio
Battlemaiden Studio - Illustration by Valorie

I have a paintbrush, and I'm not afraid to use it!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010 09:31:28 PM »

One of two things I'd recommend:

One: paint the glue on the box itself, then apply the paper, and use something to burnish it down. That's how I apply 22lb printer paper to mat board to make book covers. I then have to press them flat, because the book board will curl with the moisture of the glue, you may not have that problem with a cardboard box though.

Two: Use spray adhesive. It shouldn't warp your paper at all. Just make sure you're doing it outside, or everything in your craft space will be sticky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010 09:08:28 AM »

Be careful of how much adhesive you spray. I did this on fabric & the spray soaked thru & you could see it after my project was done - not pretty.

I did go to a scrapbooking store a couple of days ago & I bought Zig Memory System 2 Way Glue from EK Success. It was from the sales girls recommendation on covering cardstock cover w/scrapbook paper for books, almost like what you're doing. She showed me a book that she used this glue on & it was nice. It comes in a large tube that has a spongey type tip (baby biggie tip). I have not used it yet, but I've seen results & it looked good. I paid $6.99 plus tax for about 2 or 3 oz. (I can't find the size on the package). Anyway, I hope to try it soon & I'll post my findings after I use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010 07:10:56 AM »

I do this a lot and have two glues I use depending on how big the project is. Bigger projects I use Mod Podge. It works great and I can find a big jar of it in the puzzle department at WalMart for under $6.

Smaller projects I use Tombow Mono Multi glue. It's the little glue that comes in a green and white applicator. Has two tips for fine and thick. It costs around $3.

MonoMulti is a latex glue and if your allergic to latex you can't use this glue.

I do like the Zig glue too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
mlamarredesigns
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010 03:13:03 PM »

Hello,
I found the best glue is Fabric tac or Zip dry, I do loads and loads of project using them and they work perfectly, no warping of the paper, or wet saturation.
HTH
Maggie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010 08:50:30 AM »

Thought I report that I used that Zig Memory System 2 way glue the other day & it worked out real nice. I thought it was going to be a gluey mess, but it went on smoothly. It comes out blue (not real dark) & dries clear. I was afraid the blue wasn't going to turn clear (like some of them say they will), but this really worked. You do need to make sure your edges & corners are well glued or it will pucker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaulaCT
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010 06:29:53 PM »

If you don't need an "all-over" adhesive you might want to try one the the adhesive tapes that u find in most craft stores in the scrapbook section. Check the labels as some allow you a short time to reposition whatever you're sticking down. You would have to be sure to apply it to all edges, but could also apply some strips all-over for better adhesion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Gift Idea: BFF Phone Cases
DIY Gift Idea: Glittery, Customized Candles
DIY Gift Idea: Fun Duct Tape Frame
How to Make Sugar Flower Decorations
How to Make a Polka Dot Scarf
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...