A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Deodorant  (Read 65983 times)
Tags for this thread: natural , deodorant , craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2011 10:37:35 AM »

To find essential oils take a look at our supplier list, they'll definitely be cheaper and better quality than anything you can find in a store near you (those natural stores rip you off so badly! It makes me mad!)
Yep, I totally agree.  Where will I find the supplier list?

Here ya go! Be sure to check the stickies at the top of each board, there is usually useful info there! Cheesy

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=326837.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
sum1smuma
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2011 07:24:21 AM »

Okay. So I finally made this. I may have done something wrong. Huh

I could hardly wait to try it this morning and had an immediate stinging sensation...almost burning!! I used tea tree and lavender oils and think I used too much?? Is it 10 drops of each?? I also doubled the batch and had trouble drying it out with the microwave...it took a few attempts to thicken it up... I dunno...
I had shaved my pits right before as I usually do before applying deodorant...maybe that aggravated it??

My son at 7 is already smelly  Tongue so I wanted to have him use this too but I know he will snap if it stings. It does smell fantastic and feels great on my hands so maybe this batch will be good for smelly feet.

Any ideas as to what I have done wrong?? I may try another batch today...

Now  it is after a few hours and I have a crazy, super-sore rash...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011 01:32:06 PM by sum1smuma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2011 01:16:24 PM »

I've been wondering about the tea tree oil amount, it seems an awful lot to me for such a small batch (I think I would use half of that), so my guess is that it's the tea tree which is too much for you, because it really is a very strong essential oil and very aggressive. Try cutting it down or leaving it away. Lavender is a disinfectant too and almost impossible to overdose, and many other essential oils are disinfectants too. Also, if you use essential oils for a while, your body responds faster to them, and you need even less.
Did you make a new batch in the meantime? How did it turn out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exotic_animal_lover
Animal Whisperer Extrordinair

My beautiful Julie and I

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2011 10:46:09 PM »

Thanks for postin this recipe! It is my first official homemade product!! I just got done mixin it, and threw it in the dehydrator, and am excited to see how it comes out, and ready to try it! I used a Mango fragrance, and it smells AWESOME!! I currently use the Chocolate AXE, but it costs WAAAAYY too much, so if this keeps up with my sweaty pits, I'll be making this instead of buying deoderant from the store!    Grin    Thanks again! Ill post pics tomorrow when its done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exotic_animal_lover
Animal Whisperer Extrordinair

My beautiful Julie and I

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2011 09:46:49 AM »

Ok! so its the next day, and it didnt turn out stiff! I left it in the dehydrator for about 20 min @ 145degrees. then I just turned it down to the owest setting and actually forgot and fell asleep! Smiley    Its real soft and like a lotion! When I made it I put in 2 Tbsn of the coconut oil, because it didnt feel like it was clumping up, and able to mold!  Next time i'll stick to the recipe!
It still smells good and I just put some on to see how it works during church! Even if it stays like lotion Ill probably still use it! Right now i just put it in the fridge in hopes that the coco oil cools down and hardens!

OK, Back from church, and it turned out perfect! I took it outa the fridge and it was pretty solid, so i did an extra swipe on my pits, and it went on smooth!
So my next step was to get it soft again by throwing it into the dehydrator for 10 min, and once it was soft, I stuffed it into an old deoderant bottle i had! now its in the freezer, to get hard quicker then in the fridge!and im excited to see it when its done!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011 03:17:05 PM by exotic_animal_lover » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2011 08:03:12 AM »

Okay. So I finally made this. I may have done something wrong. Huh

I could hardly wait to try it this morning and had an immediate stinging sensation...almost burning!! I used tea tree and lavender oils and think I used too much?? Is it 10 drops of each?? I also doubled the batch and had trouble drying it out with the microwave...it took a few attempts to thicken it up... I dunno...
I had shaved my pits right before as I usually do before applying deodorant...maybe that aggravated it??

My son at 7 is already smelly  Tongue so I wanted to have him use this too but I know he will snap if it stings. It does smell fantastic and feels great on my hands so maybe this batch will be good for smelly feet.

Any ideas as to what I have done wrong?? I may try another batch today...

Now  it is after a few hours and I have a crazy, super-sore rash...

I have experienced this if I put it on right after shaving my pits. In my case if felt like it was more the baking soda was gritty and that was what irritated me so my solution now is to shave at night before bed and apply deodorant in the morning. But if it is the amount of EO maybe try adding more of the main ingredients. You'll have a larger batch, but this stuff lasts forever.

PS My daughter is 5 1/2 and smelly too so I use this on her now as well...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
I'm still so far away from
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2011 08:09:50 AM »

I tried using baking soda and cornstarch as deodorant. It didn't work for me. Around 3 to 5 o'clockish I smelled a faint smell of, well, you know. I checked with some of my friends who make variations of homemade deodorant. It seems that its success varies with your body chemistry.

I should also add that most aluminum filled stick deodorants don't work for me either  Undecided There's one brand that works for me and that one's clinical strength.

The trick (I believe) is actually the tea tree oil, or lavender if you prefer. From what I understand most body odor comes from bacteria on the skin which then multiplies in the liquid of your sweat, not from your actual sweat alone, so using just the powders alone or even mixed with an oil probably will not work for some people. I will tell you from using this for about 5 months now, that the first month is a little harrowing especially if it happened to be summer when you did it. There might be some lingering BO smells occasionally, but if you exfoliate your pits regularly and keep using it, eventually it goes away. In the summer I did have to reapply occasionally, but not often. And I actually sweat a WHOLE lot less now! So that's just my experience with it, it may not apply to you, but ya never know :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2011 08:15:39 AM »

someone asked about where to get tea tree oil...

I actually get mine at CVS or Walgreens. It's hard to find sometimes because it's in a tiny bottle and even the employees sometimes don't know what or where it is, but almost every one I've been in carries it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2011 01:52:53 PM »

I buy tea tree oil online from soap suppliers. It's a much, much better price, even when you factor in shipping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
tr3kkie9rl
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2011 07:22:45 AM »

It probably is much cheaper that way if you use it in bulk... I'm still a rookie crafter and the tiny (2 oz?) jar of Tea Tree oil I have has lasted me a couple years now LOL!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoever i was
I'm not that person now
but what i wish i was
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Megan Fox Admits to Loving Drugstore Beauty Products
Women Over 60 Model Marc Jacobs and NARS Beauty Ads
Are Gel Nails Safe?
Youth-Obsessed Fashion Brands Are Embracing The Beauty Of Aging
Are Age & Beauty Standards Changing?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...