A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
350 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Deodorant  (Read 64561 times)
Tags for this thread: natural , deodorant , craftster_best_of_2010 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2011 01:18:45 PM »

2 Ounces isn't a bad size...it just kills me when the natural stores sell half an ounce or a quarter of an ounce for like $12!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
oddityblaise
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2011 03:46:51 PM »

Brilliant.  I've always wondered about trying to make my own deodorant.  I'm going to try this, maybe with some clove.  Thanks for the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2011 08:28:46 AM »

I found an ingredient to add that would work for those who need a little extra deodorizing.

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Zinc-Ricinoleate-p197.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
MaryEllenKramer
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2012 02:44:23 PM »

I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but I am having a terrible time making this! Sad I've tried a few times and it's not coming together at all. Maybe if I describe it someone can detect where I am making the mistake?

-For starters, my mixture does not look like her pic at all. It is still very fluffy and flakey. I mix and I mix, but it is still powdery. I am using exactly the measurements described. However, I manage to roll it into 2 balls.

-I have tried the oven and the microwave and each time after I let them cool, they crumble to bits as soon as I pick them up and cannot be used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2012 09:05:38 PM »

I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but I am having a terrible time making this! Sad I've tried a few times and it's not coming together at all. Maybe if I describe it someone can detect where I am making the mistake?

-For starters, my mixture does not look like her pic at all. It is still very fluffy and flakey. I mix and I mix, but it is still powdery. I am using exactly the measurements described. However, I manage to roll it into 2 balls.

-I have tried the oven and the microwave and each time after I let them cool, they crumble to bits as soon as I pick them up and cannot be used.

maybe more coconut oil??!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
silverlilypetal
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2012 02:57:56 PM »

Oh I'm definitely going to have to try this. My poor skin doesn't like store bought deodorant so maybe it'll tolerate this
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christysaysrawr
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2012 05:16:21 PM »

This works really well! You do have to be careful about putting it on- it tends to ball up. My arm pits feel really moisturized though! I put mine in two old deodorant containers and a old Manic Panic jar. I just used plain tea tree oil and it smells really good.

I also melted the coconut oil in the microwave to make it easy to mix it together and stuck it in the fridge to let it harden.

I also used 1/4 cup corn starch and 1/4 cup baking soda- not 1/3. You also need alot more coconut oil than just 1 tsp. I just estimated it till it got to a creamy consistency.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012 05:18:17 PM by christysaysrawr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2012 05:22:35 PM »

This works really well! You do have to be careful about putting it on- it tends to ball up. My arm pits feel really moisturized though! I put mine in two old deodorant containers and a old Manic Panic jar. I just used plain tea tree oil and it smells really good.

I also melted the coconut oil in the microwave to make it easy to mix it together and stuck it in the fridge to let it harden.

I also used 1/4 cup corn starch and 1/4 cup baking soda- not 1/3. You also need alot more coconut oil than just 1 tsp. I just estimated it till it got to a creamy consistency.

The recipe actually states 1 tbsp (tablespoon) plus
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
vixen72
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2012 08:48:08 PM »

Will try this. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolatebutton
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2012 08:01:50 AM »

my mixture does not look like her pic at all. It is still very fluffy and flakey. I mix and I mix, but it is still powdery. I am using exactly the measurements described. However, I manage to roll it into 2 balls.

I made this the other day and it was like that. It was very fluffy and light but the powders seemed to have a good coating of coconut oil so I left it as it was. When I felt it, it was quite gritty but it definitely had enough oil in it. I think I used about 2tbsp coconut oil.

I have tried the oven and the microwave and each time after I let them cool, they crumble to bits as soon as I pick them up and cannot be used.

Might be worth putting them in the fridge for a bit. I heated my mix up in a bowl in the oven, after about 15mins I took it out and poured it into a flexible pot. I let it cool for a bit and then put it in the fridge. When it was cold I removed it from the pot, left it for about 5-10mins and was able to cut it with a sharp knife.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glazing Acrylic Painting Techniques
How to Paint Shadows and Highlights With Acrylic
How to Paint Tulips With Acrylic
How to Paint Abstract Flowers With Acrylic
Texturing and Blending With Acrylic Paint
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...