A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Button cover on skirtall recon, tute, pic heavy  (Read 1730 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prisslittlegirl
« on: January 23, 2010 05:31:25 PM »

I'm sorry , if this belongs in kids section please let me know.

Sometimes you get a dress or something and it comes with buttons that have an unwanted logo or picture on them or maybe they are the wrong color. Such is the case with this Maternity shortall set that I am reconstructing into a girls disney princess skirtall. (post on that soon) The pleated front works great for the design and helps with sizing a heavier girl, however, the last thing she needs is for there to be Planet Motherhood logos on her dress.

I tried a few new methods for covering these but came back to the simplest, which works best and looks nicest too. You start by marking out a circle of fabric in the color you want to use. 2 times the diameter of the button is good. In this case it was a piece cut from other details on the dress. I used an iron on adhesive called Heat-n-Bond on the back side and bonded a section of the fabric to a piece of heavy duty fusible interfacing. Then I cut out the circle I marked.

Next I use a matching color dual duty thread on a hand needle. Be sure to make your thread long enough to leave doubled over in the needle and still have length to work with. Thread is cheep enough; you might as well be comfortable. Start your sewing by looping 3 times to lock off the stitch in the same place. I dont like making knots so this is how I secure my thread. Then go around the fabric circle about 1/8 inch from the edge in a basting stitch.

When all the way around then go 2 stitches past the starting point, and pull the thread gently while holding the circle center between your finger and thumb. You will create a little cap shape.

Place the little cap over your button

Holding the cap in the center on the button and gently but firmly pulling your double threaded needle you can cinch up the cap. Then go around the button twice holding the thread taught and tie off by looping over the button with 2 half hitches, or a clove hitch for the scouts in the group.

Then sew the little flaps together in pairs, alternating from one side of the button to the other until all flaps are captured and cap is snug to button. Go around the button 2 more times holding taught, and secure thread with a triple stitch into cap. Trim thread close to finish

And there you are. Pretty buttons for pretty little girls.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010 11:41:36 AM by prisslittlegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pick an age you like, and stick with it.
Le Mieux
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010 07:31:47 AM »

this is really cute! thanks for the tutorial  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
rauni
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010 11:32:03 AM »

Wow, very detailed tutorial, well done!  And those buttons...what cuteness!!  Thanks so much, I would have either ended up with a pair of pliers, and new buttons (after much patching), or giving up on the project all together.  That was a great idea!

Rauni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Twist Hair - Finishing the Hairline and Styling
Learn how to Twist Hair - Learn how to Individual Twist
Learn how to Twist Hair - Learn how to Flat Twist
Learn how to Twist Hair - Sectioning the Hair for the Twist
Learn how to Twist Hair - Blow Drying Natural Textured Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...