A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Embroidered Face Done -- Advice for next?  (Read 515 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2010 09:08:49 AM »

Hi,   Grin

A student I work with drew this anime/avatar picture, and I decided to use it as a sampler to see how a filled in face might work.... I'm thrilled with the dreads  Cool , but the face?  Embarrassed Not so much. Any tips on how to make nice filled-in faces for the future?

Cheers --
PimpernelSmith
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
PaleAngelLex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010 12:40:00 PM »

The hair is very awesome. I'm not sure what to tell you about the face. What stitch did you use to fill? One thing you might want to keep in mind is that the stitches are like paint strokes. The direction they run, how they curve around the eyes, nose, and cheeks affect the over all look of the piece. I'm also really hoping some one has some better advice that me because I don't fill a lot of things. Over all though I think it was a great first attempt at fill. When I tried, my person turned out looking like they were really furry. I really do love the hair though, what stitch did you use for that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010 10:29:43 PM »

The hair is very awesome. I'm not sure what to tell you about the face. What stitch did you use to fill? One thing you might want to keep in mind is that the stitches are like paint strokes. The direction they run, how they curve around the eyes, nose, and cheeks affect the over all look of the piece. I'm also really hoping some one has some better advice that me because I don't fill a lot of things. Over all though I think it was a great first attempt at fill. When I tried, my person turned out looking like they were really furry. I really do love the hair though, what stitch did you use for that?

The face is basically a weird hybrid of split stitch and satin stitch -- 90% the former. I'm wondering if it needs to be done in 2 strands instead of three? Maybe long/short stitch?

The hair is made up of a ton of Bullion Stitches, using up lots of thread, and a longer needle. The directions for the stitch generally read something like '...wind the floss around the needle 5-6 times...' but what you see here is a wrap count of 20 or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
SanDorfALot
SanDorfALot

Chaotic Good

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010 08:30:11 AM »

I really like that, the hair is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twice the mayham, triple the force, ten times the action: total hardcore.
CraftasaurusRex
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take an Oil Painting Workshop
How to Use Color in Oil Painting
How to Keep Your Oil Painting Clean Looking
How to Choose Sable Brushes
Oil Pallet Knives for Beginners
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...