A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,754
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wedding/anniversary quilt (wordy and kinda pic heavy)  (Read 6142 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mangomerle
« on: January 22, 2010 03:07:22 PM »

Brother and fiance holding up completed quilt.

This post is very word heavy. I haven't posted anything here in a very, very long time and this project has been part of figuring out what is going on in my life and what I want to do with it. If you don't want to read, feel free to skip down to the pics or visit the blog where most all of the processes are explained with more pictures. Smiley

Summer 2008 I started a quilt in anticipation of my sister's announcement that she would be marrying the next spring/summer. At that time I had intended to embroider 10-12 very large squares (15-18" initially), choose the 6-8 I liked best and build a quilt around them with sashing and whatnot. I get my squares cut out from medium-weight, reclaimed, polyester upholstery fabric in super bright turquoise and yellow and start the embroidering process. I am planning on hand embroidering everything and so this is going to take a while, but I figure roughly a year should be enough time, right? Then October rolls around and I get a call from sis saying that they've changed plans, will be getting married in December and would I mind making the bridesmaid dresses since I can make them for each girl's measurements and cheaper than buying them from somewhere.

Quilt plan derailed in a hurry. I don't mind at all making the dresses, especially since I'm the poor one lobbying for something under $250 and more like the Infinity dress since the bridesmaids were all different body types. But I can't handle working 50+ hrs/wk at 2 different jobs plus making the dresses and trying to get the quilt done in time. So the dresses get done in time even though I was doing the hems the night before I left STL for northern Michigan and made my fiance do the ironing so I could focus on sewing up what felt like miles and miles of hem. (Thank you, love!) In addition to the dresses, the couple also received a large Penzey's Spices gift crate filled with a variety of hand-picked spices and seasonings and such (I worked at Penzeys at the time) and were very, very happy.

I got a new, full time job shortly after returning to STL in January 2009. It seemed great to begin with but I soon learned that it was a soul-devouring dead-end hole and after visiting for 8-10 hrs 5 days a week I was an angry, perpetually unhappy mess every evening. Couple that with the deliberate intent, patience and focus needed for hand embroidering large areas and it just wasn't going to happen. So, I tried my best to get through it and brainstorm what else I could do. I wanted to keep it a quilt and non-traditional piecing but somehow more manageable. Enter awesome fiance's surprise trip to STL's Anthro store (that I had no idea even existed in all the 9 years I had been there. how did that happen!?). So many cool ideas and awesome things to look at!

So, for my birthday in early April I went to Hancock and spent some money on remnants of various home dec and upholstery fabrics with the idea to make an embellished strip quilt; each type of fabric having its own kind of decoration/embellishment. Then I had piles of 2", 3", and 5" strips of the fabrics and eventually came up with the methods of machine couching yarns, dying, hand embroidering and stamping them all. Below are a couple of examples of things that I did to some of the fabrics (All of these can be seen more indepth on my blog, just click on the tag "quilt" or this link http://mangomerle.blogspot.com/search/label/quilt and all of the relevant posts will show up)

Bleached over tools. Did this with kitchen tools also.

Throughout April and May I had been making small purchases toward crafting/sewing hardware I would use. Thread, interfacing, a gathering foot and a darning/embroidery foot for my machine, embroidery flosses, hand and machine needles, etc. These purchases were not part of my budgeting and I didn't consciously know what was going on, but I was getting myself set up for creating once I quit my job and wouldn't have an income. Early June I officially quit my job at the Maritz call center and started a phase of introspection, organization, and reintroduction of creativity into my life.

Freehand birdie with fabric crayons and bits stamped with the textile stamps I picked up at Anthro. This birdie did not make it to the quilt as I have other plans for him. I also got some Jacquard textile inks on the recommendation of fiance's brother's wife who had a fiber arts degree from somewhere in Kansas.

When I quit my job, I had enough money to pay my part of rent on the duration of the lease on our apartment, pay the electric bills until the end of the lease, and buy the most basic of groceries. I grew up dirt poor so having beans and rice for almost every meal was nothing new. I did this intending to either find another job by the end of the lease, one that aligned with my moral compass and wouldn't crush my soul even if the pay was lousy, or move back to northern Michigan with my parents and try to get some money selling crafts/quilts/toys/etc. Living with my parents would be glamorous by no means but I would be surrounded by people who loved and cared for me and as long as I was doing my best to make a living for myself I would be welcome.

Things finally started to come together for the quilt!

Fiance's Mom offered in July for us to move to eastern MD and live with her for a while so, because fiance had not seen any of his family in over a year due to geographic and financial impossibilities, we moved there in August. In MD, I landed a job at JoAnns. I found a job again that I liked doing! My co-workers were amazing and kind and talented, I got to help people, I learned a LOT about fabric and fiber and construction of both craft and clothing items and fabrics themselves. Work was like a present every day. Coming from an education background, I genuinely enjoy helping and informing people. Even the super crappy customers were nothing after having worked at Maritz. And the employee discount was like a present on top of a present!

I made a little bit of headway on the quilt pieces.

I learned how to make my own screen prints!

Living in MD was not a present, however. I couldn't really sew since the machine was not welcome in the house unless I was going to set everything up and pack it all away back into boxes when I was done for the day. And even if I was OK with that we could be kicked out of the house or not allowed in at any time according to fiance's Mom's schedule of guests/partners, which cause a lot of turmoil between us. Far from ideal, I felt more and more stifled and at one point even threatened by the living situation.

Did little bits of crochet and hand couching.

So after a lot of soul-searching and consideration of options I decided that I was moving, either to MI with my parents or TN with my brother, and even though it would pain me to do so I was going to even if fiance was not coming. That was his choice to make and not mine. This is what I had done at that time:
Most all of the pieces had their embellishments/decorations but I wasn't able to assemble anything. The quilt parts and further items needed to complete it were carefully packed away and taken to Michigan this Christmas after a *major* purge of furniture, personal belongings and personal baggage as well as dropping off everything we owned in TN on the way.

Family and fiance helping with the last steps in assembly.

Final construction was completed January 1, 2010, 2 days before my brother; and subsequently fiance and me since we are now living with him, had to be back on base at Fort Campbell. For the last year I have been thinking a lot about craft and sewing and creating and how these things relate to our lives, how we live them and what we actually give value to in our lives. I don't have most of these thoughts down in word format yet, but they are now a part of me because of this quilt and the processes involved in completing it even if I never do get them down in word format. I learned how to assert myself to get what I needed out of situations and to not take no for an answer where my sense of right and wrong is concerned. I also found out that people and history, both personal and incorporating it somehow into things I make and do, mean a lot more to me than I had ever thought possible.

There are 8 birds on the quilt (6 of which can be seen in the last pic below), one for my sister's husband and one for each my family members. The 2 silk screened crows/ravens are my sister and her husband because I wish for them long lives devoted to each other. The 2 painted peafowl are our parents who have done their best to give us a solid rational and moral foundation for our lives. The 3 parrots represent our triplet brothers. 2 of the parrots are taken from the same print and represent our 2 identical brothers while the other is a wool embroidery, representing our fraternal brother. The fraternal parrot is embroidered and has a frame. This is because our fraternal brother was killed in a car accident and his life story is now complete whereas the other 2 are not and do not have frames around them.

The last little bird, the one speaking in symbols and music notes, is me. I usually have such a very hard time explaining myself in words that it just doesn't happen, but not everything we say has to be in words all the time. I am not completely done with the process started in June 2008 (can you ever really truly be done making yourself?) and there are some more changes I would like to implement soon, but I have become a person I am no longer ashamed of. I am more a person I would want to know and I have a better understanding of why and how through items I placed on or worked into this quilt. (explained a little better, maybe, at the blog)

Thanks for reading (if you did) and thanks for looking at the pictures. I hope each and every one of you has a great weekend!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010 03:09:03 PM by mangomerle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010 03:28:16 PM »

Amazing work!
Hey is that a reference to the Tick?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
bananabanana
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010 03:44:14 PM »

Thank you for sharing your quilt and the story of how you created it. Have you already given the quilt to your sister? I'm heading over to your blog to see if there's some close up photos of the birds. They sound intriguing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flower
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010 04:58:59 PM »

Your story is so touching and the quilt is beautiful.  You have clearly put your heart in soul into this lovely piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010 07:54:17 PM »

The quilt really is wonderful, and I feel sorry for anyone who did skip down to the photos, as your story is the best part. I smiled when I read "I have such a hard time explaining myself in words..."  -- you may be more comfortable telling your story in fabric, but it comes out just as clearly in words. By the time I got to the bottom, I felt knew you.

I particularly like the bleached-over tool images. It produces a lovely, ghostly effect. Did you just use a sprayer and mist the bleach over the object, or did it take more technique to get such clear outlines?

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

themuppet
Wants your tasty brainmeats.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010 07:04:32 AM »

I just want to hug you!  I pulled this up on the 'recent with pictures' page, and I don't usually visit this forum, but your story is amazing.  I had a similar situation, two years of constant upheaval and moving around the country with two kids in tow, and looking back I'm not sure how I survived it.  So I raise my glass (coffee cup) to you in celebration of coming out of the darkness!

This quilt will be a living opus to your growth as a person and a testament to the struggles you've overcome.  Just beautifully awesome work.  And the Tick fan in me loves the spoon. Wink

I honestly hope you're in a comfortable situation now and that you are healthy and happy and emotionally supported.  And that you never have to go through any of that again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mangomerle
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010 02:18:15 PM »

Thanks for reading. I tried making a post with just pictures of how the parts were made and assembled, but I didn't feel that was appropriate because of how important the entire process was to me.

Najaorama - Yes, it is a Tick reference Smiley My siblings and I watched that show a lot as kids along with Freakazoid. Mom wondered why we would sometimes just exclaim "Spoon!" out of nowhere.

bananabanana - Yes, it is already in my sister's possession. I really wish I had taken the time to photograph some of the more important elements in detail before I left it there.

Wulf - That bit about getting to know someone has been part of what I have been focusing on in my creative endeavors lately. That everything we make tells a bit of our story to those around us and sometimes making something takes so much of ourselves that even if we don't take the time to explain ourselves precisely, someone can look at what we have made and know at least part of the story without specifics.

themuppet - "coming out of the darkness"  That's exactly how it feels! Thanks.

The bleached tool images are something that I want to take the time to make up a small tutorial for. I used a regular garden/shop sprayer and I went through a couple different ratios of bleach to water before I decided on what worked for me. The solution I ended up using was 2 parts bleach to 1 part water. You have to kind of babysit them, though, because once the dye starts to discharge from the bleach it doesn't take long before it gets to the point that the cloth is damaged. I also had a bucket of straight vinegar to put the pieces in as soon as they got to where I wanted them so the bleach reaction was stopped. Also, be sure to dunk any metal tools (specifically those with moving parts, like the channel locks I used and forgot to rinse off right away - oops) you use in the vinegar, too. Then rinse the vinegar off with water, dry and re-oil them well. I had to put some effort in to fixing my small set of channel locks because I forgot to rinse off the bleach solution and they ended up rusting on me.

There are a few things that I still want to do to the quilt to make it better (I want to hand stitch around a lot of the things I just zig-zag appliqued because I was in a hurry) but those will have to wait until I'm visiting my sister some time. All in all I'm pretty pleased with it as it's my very first quilt. If anyone has any other comments/criticism or questions, feel free to bring them up as I will gladly answer any of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Linnybelle
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010 04:38:05 PM »

I just wanted to say how lovely the quilt is and the story behind it makes it even more so.  What a great way to express the challenges and triumphs of life for others to see.  And I'm sure it just makes the quilt more special to the recipients.  You did a wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010 05:55:28 PM »

I love this quilt.  I've read your post a few times before I responded, and the story and turmoil fit the quilt.  Each piece of the quilt is so unique and it isn't just fabric put together, it is a true life lived.  Congrats on such a beautiful piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
juneapostrophe
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010 07:34:57 PM »

this is amazing.  i love how philosophical and thoughtful you are, in your writing and in your work.  thank you for sharing this <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley

now selling name book/banners in my new etsy shop--check it out!:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/juneapostrophe

friend me on facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tucson-AZ/june-apostrophe-by-naomi/138853086141015?ref=ts&__a=4&ajaxpipe=1
xmoonbloom
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010 11:26:49 PM »

That's a piece of art! I like your color selection.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meladoro
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010 02:34:46 AM »

Thank you so much for sharing. Your story made my eyes fill with some tears. First of all I LOVE your quilt! I love how you put all the peaces together, not by any firm model but just by how you felt was right. Then I love the idea to treat each part of the quilt as a storyboeard on its own. Very inspiring!

I started sewing a dress 4 years ago and never finished it. I gained weight and I lost, and each time I had to change something on the dress to fit it. Now I think that maby It wasnt time to fit in it yet. I am inspired now ti finish it.
I have so many fabrics on stash that I adore, also from my childhood since my mother kept it all. Maby I should make a quilt with all these litle memories.

I hope you found a comfortable place to stay, and that you keep sharing your words through the beauttyful things you make.  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cursive_queen
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010 07:38:41 AM »

It's a beautiful quilt, and it sounds like it was a cathartic process in making it.  As rough as it sounds like it has been for you, I bet that quilt wouldn't have turned out quite so wonderful and brimming with love and feelings if you hadn't made it through all of that.

Kudos Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pirate Mama
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010 06:12:27 AM »

sometime the story behind the project is just as intriguing as the project!  Thanks for sharing... your little birds, they will fly away and plant seeds of inspiration across the web! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TAHINAZ
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010 03:10:48 PM »

Beautiful! I love the embellishments! This is a refreshing change from the ultra-uniform quilts in my quilting magazines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBeezKneez
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010 06:06:36 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing your quilt and your story. I visit Craftster everyday and am in awe of all the creativity but it is your story that really makes this post special. I commend you on your bravery and honesty. I have been tinkering with the idea of making a quilt of my late grandfathers clothes and needed the push this story gives me. Thankyou
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May those who love us love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
lindseykaye
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010 08:56:58 PM »

Wow, that quilt and story is amazing. Thank you for sharing. Not everyone is able to share thing so eloquently as you did through both your words and your quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010 10:24:18 AM »

Really love this quilt for some many reasons. First aesthetically. I love the colors, the strips, the placement of the scraps to make things even.
second, the details, screen printing, embroidery, crochet, etc, so many things that show how much you put into this piece.
I can tell this project has made you stronger and more beautiful inside and out. It's touching and wonderful!
Congrats for finishing your project, and for becoming a stronger person! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lunapooka
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010 05:48:32 AM »

Your quilt is a gorgeous work of art.  I must ask, since I am just outside of STL, what is this "Anthro" place that you speak of.  I've never heard of it and I am intrigued about something that could inspire such a beautiful piece. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need a house with a craft room!
mangomerle
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010 10:35:49 PM »

Thank you all for the wonderful replies.

TAHINAZ - I like looking at and reading some of the articles in quilting magazines. And I think the projects themselves are terrific, but I can't make things that well-measured and evenly assembled even when I try. So I stopped trying to do that and just went on the basics I knew about quilt piecing and assembly.

TheBeezKneez - I'm really kind of happy that my story helped inspire you like that. I love seeing projects with reused or repurposed parts, especially when they have family and personal history behind them.

Lunapooka  - The name is actually Anthropologie and it's in the Galleria. Just take the Eager Rd exit from 64 or 170 and make  right onto Brentwood. The stuff they have changes all the time and you can see a lot of pictures on their website, but browsing the web and looking at textile items has no comparison for actually being in the store where you can touch it and really get a good look at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftHooligan
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010 09:04:56 AM »

that is so amazing. thank you so much for sharing. it looks awesome, you must be so proud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mikesgal

Getting married December 20th!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010 10:36:24 AM »

That's my quilt!!!

My sister does some amazing work and I am so thankful for this gift. It has so many memories sewn into it and I love it. It is amazing that so much of you is in it and I look at each of the details and I can see a part of you. Thank you does not seem to suffice. Maybe I'll put my words into an afghan or quilt too.

Here is a picture of the beautiful quilt and equally gorgeous bed frame. My sister puts her life into fabric and that sort of creative stuffs and our dad puts his into wood working.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tunami56
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010 09:51:17 PM »

It was really touching to read to the story behind the quilt, thanks for sharing it with us. This post inspired me to sew my first quilt, so thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
toomuchstuff
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010 07:25:09 PM »

So ambitious & amazing!  And thanks so much for the story behind it.  Have you thought about jotting down what the symbols mean & who is represented by what, and attaching it to the back of the quilt?  It takes so little time for an heirloom to lose it's history, and this quilt seems destined to be an heirloom.  On many quilts, makers put their names, date, and who/ what occasion they made the quilt for on the back side of the quilt, either in ink or embroidery.  I encourage you to think about something to make for your sis to patch on there.  It was lovely to read about the symbolism of the images & I'm sure a future family member might like to read them too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swapshop
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010 03:37:07 AM »

i love 'the picture heavy'  thanks for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Southern Oven-Broiled Catfish Recipe
Doggone Good Hush Puppies Recipe
Hearty and Healthy Grilled Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Hot Bacon Swiss Dip with Toast Rounds Recipe
Ham-Seasoned Soup Beans with Cornbread Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...