A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand-Painted Tank Tops: Cerulean, Black, White and Grey  (Read 2443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« on: January 21, 2010 09:22:17 AM »

I made these last year when I was still in high school and in a silk-screening phase. I never silk-screened anything, but I used freezer paper and fabric paint to produce these pieces. I used bleach to make the rings on the second one.

At first I thought about selling them, but I kind of like them too much to want to sell. They're also a bit sloppy, so I don't know if I want to sell something like that to someone, even if I'd only charge seven to ten dollars a piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm Alyssa, 18, a film-maker in college, & a non-traditional fantasy novelist online. I bake, create, & dream, & I enjoy all things secret, surrealist & sleep-related.
My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/jarofdreams
My Blog: http://livingcraft.blogspot.com
cutek94
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010 09:28:18 AM »

oh my goodness these shirts are amazing!  Shocked
i especially love how the tree on the 1st one looks~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting = my love <3
prttynpnk
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010 09:30:17 AM »

I like the first one. Sometimes people like the "sloppy" look. I don't say sloppy though, I say unique and handmade!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010 09:31:44 AM »

Well, I think those tops can be sold. They're really nice. If only I know how to make such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010 10:50:54 AM »

oh my goodness these shirts are amazing!  Shocked
i especially love how the tree on the 1st one looks~

Thanks! It turned out that way because the fabric is ribbed. Is that the right word? I believe so. It didn't turn out as creepy as I thought it would. It's more dreamlike. Glad you like it!

I like the first one. Sometimes people like the "sloppy" look. I don't say sloppy though, I say unique and handmade!

Thank you! Maybe I'll luck out and find someone who'd want to buy it.

Well, I think those tops can be sold. They're really nice. If only I know how to make such.

Glad to hear it, thank you! It's actually super easy. Like, pitifully easy, up until you pick the wrong fabric and the paint spreads lol. What you need is an exacto knife, freezer paper (the wax is on one side, and the other is like baking parchment paper), fabric paint or spray paint, newspaper or magazines, cardboard or a shirt template, regular tape, an iron, a piece of paper, and a pencil. And a fabric that won't allow paint or liquids to bleed when you apply it.

Find the picture you want or make it yourself and print it/draw it on the piece of paper. Then tape the design to the wax side of the freezer paper and trace it onto the parchment side. Using thee exacto knife, cut out the parts you want the color to show through, and if there are pieces that don't attach to anything that you need, set them aside. Once you're done, remove the picture, lay out your fabric, iron flat, and then put the cardboard inside to prevent bleeding to the back of the shirt.

Lay down the freezer paper with the WAX side against the fabric and very carefully iron it down. The wax will stick to the fabric without damaging it, and if you've got small edges or details be careful not to iron them twisted or literally to the iron plate. Once you've got all the edges tight to the fabric (about 45 seconds to 1 minute of ironing) you can take your newspaper or magazines and cover the parts of the shirt you don't want to get paint on. Then you can spray on the paint or take a sponge and dab it on.

Follow the instructions on the bottle for drying time or setting. Some paints need 72 hours to fully dry while others need an iron to set the paint. Once your paint is dry to the touch, you can add an additional layer of paint if you want to. If not, lift up the outer edge of your freezer paper and gently pull it completely off the fabric. If little pieces get torn, don't worry. Just peel them off after. I believe this method could work with bleach, too, but I've yet to try it. That's on my list, and then I can use this method to paint images on top of the bleach.

Does that help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi! I'm Alyssa, 18, a film-maker in college, & a non-traditional fantasy novelist online. I bake, create, & dream, & I enjoy all things secret, surrealist & sleep-related.
TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010 11:56:53 AM »

Love the idea of the freezer paper - so much more DIY that going out to buy and embroidery hoop and all that junk! I think your shirts look fab and they CAN be sold. Smiley

If people don't like the 'sloppy' look, they shouldn't buy a hand-painted item, now should they?! Tongue Tongue Keep doing what you're doing, you have an awesome talent. -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org.uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
Sparkle Motion Dreamer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010 12:09:37 PM »

Love the idea of the freezer paper - so much more DIY that going out to buy and embroidery hoop and all that junk! I think your shirts look fab and they CAN be sold. Smiley

If people don't like the 'sloppy' look, they shouldn't buy a hand-painted item, now should they?! Tongue Tongue Keep doing what you're doing, you have an awesome talent. -x-

It's also cheaper because you buy a whole roll of freezer paper and you can do as many designs as you can fit 'til you run out. Wink The only time-consuming part is cutting out an image, but I'm sure there are parts a person could get away with using scissors.

Good point!

Thank you so much! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

E2design
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010 09:05:08 AM »

I use an x-acto knife to cut out my designs. I prefer to do cute stuff, because *cough* It looks better than skulls, and all that crap :DD
I just recently screenprinted a whale on my cardigan Cheesy

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Because I said so. :DD
gypsyforlife
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010 11:19:25 PM »

Very fancy and clean looking- well done lady!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May your passion be the kernel of corn stuck between your molars, always reminding you there's something to tend to.  ~Jeb Dickerson

New Zealand is the best country in the world.

Blog from the Frozen North: http://paperitual.blogspot.com/
Mod
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010 09:34:15 PM »

They are both great.

I really like the designs on the second one! I have some fabric paint but I haven't gotten around to using them on any of my shirts. I know feel inspired!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Literary Agent
Marjorie Celona Discusses Her Novel Y
Lenore Appelhans Discusses Her Novel Level 2
Mini Biography of William Shakespeare
Iris Murdoch: The Life of the Mind
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...