A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for Getting People to Vote  (Read 7401 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2004 06:32:11 AM »

utne magazine has some suggestions...

free beer/espresso/sweets at the polls

discounts with an "i voted" sticker at cafes/bakeries/etc. on election day

fines for non-voters (works in australia-95% vote!!)

tax break for voters

free lottery tickets to a national lottery

make election day on a weekend

while most of these would be tough to make happen, we all know some shopowners to suggest discounts to, and anyone involved in their community could set in motion a plan to offer baked goods, etc. at the polls.  or marble magnets
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004 06:42:39 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

howdoesitfeel
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004 12:03:36 PM »

man, australia's got a good idea!  who knew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vespabelle
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004 10:35:29 AM »

Back in 1992 when I was living in Alaska, the local Subway store had a buy one, get one free deal if you showed your "I voted" sticker! I think my boyfriend and I had subs for lunch and dinner that day!

In Oregon, it's all vote by mail, so there's no way we can do that here sadly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dewey

A true friend stabs you in the front - O. Wilde

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004 05:55:25 PM »

hmmm..what about having entertainement at the line-up

I'm a Canadian so I'm not that familiar about what the U.S. voting laws are...but it would be way less of a bummer to wait in line if there was entertainment

-This might be distracting though.....not sure, sounds good on paper (or,um, screen)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudola

what was i saying?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004 08:45:27 AM »

Back in 1992 when I was living in Alaska, the local Subway store had a buy one, get one free deal if you showed your "I voted" sticker! I think my boyfriend and I had subs for lunch and dinner that day!

In Oregon, it's all vote by mail, so there's no way we can do that here sadly.

All vote by mail? Call me a political dunce, but I didn't know you guys did that. Is your voter turnout higher/lower than the rest of the country?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvercrank
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004 12:58:10 PM »

HI! Good ideas guys...

i was thinking, you know how you can do those voter-registration booths, and sign people up? (get info at some online organizations like your favorite canditate's website)... if any of you people are going to do this, do it during a show, like get some bands together , and have the booth filled with crafty things (like firefly said) to give out if they register.

also make flyers and post them up a week before your districts is going to vote; get it printed at kinkos or something at 11x14".

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nemi

Where'd I put that?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004 11:50:41 AM »

I actually work at the polls - I'm the person that initials your ballot.  Sometimes I'm the person that checks the Roster for your name.  ^_^;   

Some of these are wonderful ideas -  I really liked:

- free beer/espresso/sweets at the polls
- discounts with an "i voted" sticker at cafes/bakeries/etc. on election day

These are... pull-offable (well, not the beer, you'd need a liquor licence, and then, only those 21 and over could have it.... espresso and sweets are good for all,) but you'd need people to voulenteer!

I would suggest talking to your local pollworkers if you'd like to do it - they'd probably be thrilled (especially if you gave them some free sweeties!)

And if you're a store owner or a manager - consider the discounts!  That's awsome! (I wouldn't be able to get a discount, 'cause counting the ballots usually takes us 'til 9:00pm, and everything closes.)

These were nice thoughts:

- "but it would be way less of a bummer to wait in line if there was entertainment"

Unfortunately, it would be extremely distracting to some folks.  And I think it would be noisy, and frazzle us poor pollworkers.   Besides, you know *someone* would complain.  Maybe this is better left beyond the 75 foot limit line.

- fines for non-voters (works in australia-95% vote!!)

Unfortunately, I think you really have the right to not vote, too.  Of course, I think you're being derilict in your duties, and really not very American, but... *sigh*.

- tax break for voters

I think we'd all vote on that! Tongue   It's just getting such a thing through Congress!

- free lottery tickets to a national lottery

The lottery works on the fact that you pay into it to get a ticket.  x-x  I think if thousands of folks got a free ticket, it would really screw with the purpose of the lottery.

- make election day on a weekend

Frankly, it would be a worse turnout, I think.  On a work day, you're encouraged to run down to the polls.  On a work day, you get out of bed early.

Plus... it's kind of hard to change what's in the Constitution.  ^_^;

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004 03:43:18 PM »

I've been creating postcards with (I think anyway) cool illustrations/political cartoons, color copying them, and leaving them in places that give away "freecards." I put all sorts of voter info on the back, like where to vote in our city, etc, etc and how to register, usually throwing in something humorous. I also leave registration forms alongside them. They disappear in the library and some record stores. I don't know if it's really doing any good, but it's the least preachy way I could think of to get a msg out. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004 07:39:48 AM »

I just posted this under another thread....

I just trained to register people to vote (you HAVE to take a class in Delaware) and they told us it is illegal to give away items in exchange for registration.  You have to give it to anyone and everyone.   We are giving out condoms that say "stand up and be counted, Vote!" but we are giving them to everyone, people passing by and what not.

They (voting officials) even told us a story of little old ladies (they said in their 80's or something!) giving away baked goods for registering and they got in trouble!  not serious trouble, but still... It just takes one complaint to void all those registraints!

So please check your state laws! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
bookgirl
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004 07:34:22 AM »

I suspect one of the most effective actions an individual can take to "get out the vote" is simply to talk to the people you know.  You might be surprised how few people you know actually vote when it comes time.  I've been working on my best friend for over 10 incredibly frustrating years now -- he's never felt that participating is worthwhile.  And this is one of the most intelligent people I know (graduated summa cum laude from college, spent two years at Julliard, multi-lingual, blah blah blah).  But this November he's finally voting.  I finally convinced him!

The ideas here to lure people to the polls are all interesting and fun, but I don't think they're enough.  I truly believe that one on one discussions with friends, acquaintances, relatives are going to do more to convince people about the importance of voting than coffee and candy.  I try not to harp too much on my political beliefs when I talk to people, but instead focus on voting itself.  If you don't like the way your country (state, town) functions and you didn't vote, it's your own fault.  So many people forget that.  So keep talking to folks you know.  Strike up conversations with strangers.  Be passionate!  A real person is so much more persuasive than a slogan!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
T-Unit

Zomg. I <3 You Jack & Ianto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008 05:33:50 AM »

man, australia's got a good idea!  who knew!

*cough* Australia has lots of good Idea's thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal integrity and being true to yourself. True keys to happiness.

Wist
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008 08:42:41 PM »

Hey everyone~
Please stay on the topic of IDEAS for getting people to vote, not your political views. I have already deleted some post for being off topic.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008 09:18:18 PM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Sakura Haruno
How to Draw Rose
How to Draw Robin
How to Draw Riko Yuusaki
How to Draw Rex Salazar
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...