A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fug fireplace gussied up  (Read 1411 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gamerbabe
« on: January 19, 2010 09:30:07 PM »

I had this fug fireplace that came with my really old house and at one point it had been redone in forest green tiles and maroon brick with a curdled cream wood surround. I can't afford to replace the whole thing yet so I'm attempting to turn it in to something that doesn't make me want to take a sledge hammer to it. I used high heat spray paint on the tiles and bricks within a couple hours of having the keys (which was about 7 months ago) and then removed the piece of wood that covers a hole in the surround that was filled with a styrofoam insert by a previous owner. Tonight I decided to do up the fireplace with vintage book paper and a felt garland. The first photo is from the house listing. The second photo is what I've been living with for the past several months and the bottom two photos are the afters.

I'm not done yet, but it's better than looking at the hole that is under the paper and the fireplace gets to live another day.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010 09:36:46 PM by gamerbabe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010 09:57:42 AM »

Good idea.  It occurs to me you that if you ever get tired of it, could also research "faux finishes" that people use to give walls a brick or stone look.  I'm envious;  I'd love to have a fireplace.  BTW, is that an old school typewriter you have there on the manel?  Way cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
gamerbabe
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010 01:05:09 PM »

Thanks and yes that is an old school typewriter. It has a carrying case that I keep elsewhere and it's from the 20s. I found it at a local thrift store for a whole $1.50! I about died.

I taped the papers up because I wasn't sure I liked the look but I think I'm going to wallpaper them up there since I like it tape doesn't keep them up very well on the edges.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Landscape Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Kids/Pets Function
Canon A610/A620: Set ISO Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Indoor Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Format Function
Latest Blog Articles
Quoth The Raven
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...