A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lace Lady Gaga-ish Mask With Super Easy Tutorial  (Read 13896 times)
Tags for this thread: lace , mask , tutorial , lady_gaga  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindseylee21
« on: January 19, 2010 06:32:08 PM »

Hi everyone!
I am working on a burlesque type outfit for a friend's costume birthday party; one of the requirements for attendees is that you must have some sort of mask. I like to make stuff, so I decided to try making a lace mask that would be a little more exotic than just a normal mask. I wanted it to look sort of Lady Gaga-esque and I really like how it turned out. It was so easy so I thought I'd post it for future halloween costume needs!

I bought a black lace remnant for cheap at Joann Fabrics. Here is what I started with:

I put it up on my face and trimmed it to about 1 cm past my hairline. I also carefully trimmed along the pattern so that it wasn't just a straight line on my forehead.

Next, I soaked the lace in a mixture of water and Elmer's Glue to give it some firmness. I got the idea from a technique I used when making a mask out of leather. When you get it all nice and soaked, put it on your face and shape it how you want it; the water/glue mixture helps shape the mask to your face and helps it hold its shape. I then dried it with a hairdryer. Note: I put vaseline on my eyebrows, just in case, but I'm not sure it was really necessary.

As you can see in the pic, it is curved to the shape of my nose and face and now has enough body to stand on its own:

To secure the mask, I used a bobby pin on each side. Here is the finished product (please excuse my ratty appearance):

I'm thinking it will look better once I'm in the whole ensemble, lol. I'm planning to post pics of that as well because I made this awesome feathered skirt that I also want to share. I hope you like it and c/c are welcome!

PS - I just noticed that it looks like there are some um... strange items on my bed behind me in the last pic. I PROMISE that they are both remote controls for my television and DVD player!!!!!!!! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
themouseandme
"We can't all be heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010 07:06:11 PM »

A) That mask is pretty awesome. I love how the lace pattern seems to crawl/grow across your facial features. It's so very lovely, and organic-looking!

B) I wasn't actually looking on your bed 'til you pointed it out...and then I was like, "Oohhhh...." Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying." - Friedrich Niezsche

"The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing." - Marcus Aurelius
MyaYusan
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010 07:14:48 PM »

That's so pretty. I may have to steal this idea sometime =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radmom
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010 03:45:50 AM »

I really like it! I am a big Lady Gaga fan myself. Funny, since I am 37 and I love her...my kid sister is 22 and can't stand her! She claims that she is "too weird," guess that is why I like her. LOL I like that she isn't afraid to be DIFFERENT in a retro bringing back the 70/80's kind of way. If she keeps it up, it would be nice to see if she can push the trends of the art the way Madonna and Cyndi Lauper did for the early 80's.  I can't wait to see your entire ensemble!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindseylee21
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010 05:23:47 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments!!! I can't wait to finish this costume, I'm so excited for it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little green dragonfly

i craft, therefore i am...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010 06:40:41 PM »

THis is gorgeous!

I've never thought of this before and would def like to make my own now Smiley

The glue part makes me a tinsy bith nervous though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

After 8 years I'm back - however did I stay away so long???
bexieboo
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010 02:22:59 AM »

This is really beautiful. I had to make some masks for a ball a few weeks ago, and this was what I wanted to do with them....I didn't have any lace though, so that was a bit of an obstacle lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ARStheLorax
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010 06:41:44 PM »

I love this! I wanna make one, but have no idea what I would use it for =P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life Ain't So Shitty.
thekster
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010 01:21:47 AM »

I like this! Wouldn't it be possible to just use starch though? Surprisingly, I don't think I have any Elmer's glue (well... I have some kinda blue gel stuff but I don't think that would work.)
What would you say the ratio of water to glue you used was?
Off to Hancock for some lace remnants on Thursday! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010 10:29:31 PM »

cool idea i cant wait to see the whole outfit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David Gelernter on Mirror Worlds: Space, Time, and the Internet
Actor John Challis Recounts Being Boycie at Althorp Literary Festival
John Lanchester Talks About His Novel "Capital" at Althorp
Claire Tomalin Talks About Her Work on Charles Dickens
Gavin Pretor-Pinney Talks Clouds at Althorp Literary Festival
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...