A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,655
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 61
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap Gallery  (Read 61514 times)
Tags for this thread: frugality , frugal , saving_money , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MommyTheMaid
« Reply #340 on: February 11, 2010 04:39:38 PM »

To the ladies that made the non-paper towels, what kind of fabric did you use?  I'd like to make some, but wasn't sure if I should use flannel or if I could use regular cotton...I have a huge stash of cotton, but didn't know how absorbable that would be.

the ones I made for MareMare were flannel on one side and single layer diaper cloth on the other......I made some for myself when I did hers and I love them....the flannel is super soft and the diapercloth is pretty absorbant.....

I love flannel and birdseye cloth towels.  I wanted to make some for Dharma but I had JUST used the last of my stash birdseye in the Cloth Diaper swap.  Double Flannel works well too though.

As for cotton, you might be able to do one side with it, but you really need the flannel to help them stick together if you aren't doing snaps or velcro.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lylanni
« Reply #341 on: February 11, 2010 05:19:33 PM »

Thanks so much for posting for me BabyCakes Smiley  I totally love everything you made and The cleaning products are already in use hehe.  Thank you so much, I had a lot of fun crafting for you and you did a great job with what you sent me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imafundork
« Reply #342 on: February 11, 2010 05:25:49 PM »

The "paper" towels that I made for SAHMama are made exactly like the ones onegroovyday made fo MareMare- flannel and diaper cloth.

Also, onegroovyday found that peanut sling in a mixed lot at the thrift store for just a couple of dollars. It looks to be nearly brand new. Neither of us know of anyone locally that it would fit so we were hoping it would work out for SAHMama.

I'm loving everything else that has been posted lately!

I do have a question though- what are the felted sweater dryer balls stuffed with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
flower
« Reply #343 on: February 11, 2010 05:37:31 PM »

I do have a question though- what are the felted sweater dryer balls stuffed with?

I had a wool sweater that I had shrunk for some other projects, but still had a lot left over.  I cut the sweater into thin strips and then rolled it like a ball of yarn.  It was not the best idea.  The strips were too thick.  The balls were super-bumpy and not symmetrical at all.  If you choose to cut up a wool sweater, I suggest a) unraveling it, rolling the yarn into a ball, and fulling it in the washing machine or b) cutting the unshrunk sweater into strips, rolling it in a ball, and fulling it in the washing machine.  Tip: for either one, put the ball in the toe of panty hose and knot it.  It will help the ball stay together as it is shrinking.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imafundork
« Reply #344 on: February 11, 2010 06:22:17 PM »

Thanks flower!  Smiley
 I just used wool yarn for the ones I made and it took a ton of loads of laundry to get them felted. I was just wondering if the fulled sweater ones would have been any easier to make.

In case anyone is wondering, I followed this tutorial: http://goodmama.typepad.com/goodmama/2008/05/make-your-own-wool-dryer-balls.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: February 11, 2010 07:16:16 PM »

Lylanni,
You are so very welcome. I had a lot of fun. I forgot to tell you though that the reason I sent marigolds for your garden is that they are supposedly good at detracting animals from getting into your garden. I thought that would be nifty if it works! One year a bunch of squirrels stole all of our sweet corn! We found a bunch of husks in the trees!
love, Babycakes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #346 on: February 11, 2010 10:17:46 PM »

I LOVE the unpaper towels mommythemaid made for me! They are just perfect.

For my dryer balls, I just used long strips of fulled sweater scraps - lots of seams - wrapped really tight, then basted the ball together. Then I stuffed them into a sewn felt ball. I like the ones I made a lot because they are pretty heavy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amymisha
« Reply #347 on: February 12, 2010 07:45:23 AM »

I have received....I will post my pictures tonight. The package came on Wednesday but I couldn't even get out of bed to get to my computer I was so sick. Ugh.
Pictures soon.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pantsafari
« Reply #348 on: February 12, 2010 11:39:26 AM »

I recieved yesterday and got an amazing package from Lagamorphlounge! hopefully will be able to post pictures tonight.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #349 on: February 12, 2010 11:52:15 AM »

Everything's been so amazing, I can't wait to see what else is on the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 61 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Magazine Front Cover in Photoshop
How to Make a Realistic Planet in Photoshop
How to Make a Bold Simple Website Template Page in Photoshop
How to Make a Custom Twitter Layout in Photoshop
How to Make Call Of Duty Style Modern Warfare Text in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...