A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,556
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I love this dress!  (Read 2179 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zen_child

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2010 03:04:24 PM »

I love this dress worn by Lisa Edelstein (featured, sadly for me, at Go Fug Yourself here).  Maybe not with so much cleavage squishing, and maybe in a fabric that flows differently, but I love it. 

Can you guys think of any patterns for similar sorts of things?  And does it look like something someone with no clothes making experience could tackle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, no, art is not for juggling.
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010 08:24:12 PM »

That's really pretty, actually! I think it'd be great to recon a tablecloth for it, because it looks like the hem is squared. If you use a big enough tablecloth, you may have enough cut out of the middle to make the bodice part, because it looks like the skirt is gathered into the bodice. I think the bodice may just be a waistband with really wide straps that happen to cover the boobage. Off to see if there are patterns...

Found some you may like that you can use the top part of:

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5842.htm?tab=list/dresses&page=all
http://www.butterick.com/item/B5181.htm?tab=list/dresses&page=all
http://www.burdastyle.com/patterns/melissa

As for having no experience, I'd say maybe. You don't get good at something without practice. I think I like the Butterick one the best, but I don't know if they have fitting problems (I know Simplicity does). Melissa from BurdaStyle is supposed to be for stretchy fabrics, but if you go a couple sizes larger and put a zipper in the back, you can probably make it work. Alternatively, you could just wing it by holding the fabric on your body and seeing what might work.

Just be aware that you may screw up, and if you do, don't panic! Use the longest stitch on your sewing machine and a cheap fabric (such as a thrifted bedsheet or tablecloth) and once you're sure of how it fits, go over all the seams again with a tighter stitch. A loose stitch makes it easier to take apart. Don't be afraid to experiment, accept failure as part of the creative process, and if you get frustrated take a break. If you get into a bad jam, just post back into this thread and someone will eventually come along to help Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zen_child

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010 08:17:33 AM »

Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions!  Your first couple of links are coming up 'page not found' for me, but I'll have a look around for pieces similar to the BurdaStyle link.  I think sometimes it's difficult to accept making mistakes, because you want to be awesome at stuff straight away, but using bedsheets is such a great (super inexpensive) idea I'd never thought of before!
It makes me sad that the dress was Fugged, because I think it could be really stunning.
Thanks again!  If I run in to any problems, Craftster won't be able to get rid of me, don't worry about that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, no, art is not for juggling.
celestialvoice
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011 09:18:07 PM »

I agree- I LOVE this and now I feel like making one.  LOL we'll see if it happens.  I actually like how it has cleavage without looking "slutty".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fake Side-Swept Bangs
How to Ask for the Style You Want at the Salon
How to Create a Classic Updo
How to Create a Fauxhawk
How to Create a Funky and Retro Updo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...