A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2010 Quilt-a-long  (Read 7721 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010 01:28:18 PM »

Why, yes! You are more than welcome to join us! I would love to see a picture of that hexagonal quilt top you're talking about! Maybe somebody with a little bit more expertise than myself can help answer your questions ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
Nymnotte
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010 08:07:08 PM »

I have a t-shirt quilt I want to make, does that count? lol.  I've been staring at the pile of shirts for a year now, and I would really love to have the craft bin back that they are taking up... but so far I haven't been too motivated.

Would you guys recommend cutting them all the same sizes or cutting to the size of the design and trying to match it up like tetris? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goth Mummy

Mundane by day, innane at night....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010 02:02:05 AM »

Thanks - i will take a photo then hopefully people will know what Im talking about and be able to advise! I have had it since my son was born, and been too scared to touch it because the work is so delicate (better than I could ever do!). I think it was started by my great granny. Never finished, which is typical of the women in my family Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tcmatteson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010 06:42:20 AM »

Nymnotte: Definately welcome to the quilt-a-long! As for your t-shirt quilt, the easiest way to go about it would to make each of your t-shirt blocks the same size and then you could choose to sew the blocks together with or without sashing. Otherwise the odd shapes is fairly doable, it just takes a little more (in my head = a lot more) planning before cutting to make sure that all the pieces you cut will work altogether in the end. It's all really up to your own likes and dislikes in the end... maybe you could do a search for t-shirt quilts and see how others have made theirs? I know several craftsters have made t-shirt quilts and maybe you could get in contact with them about how they went about the process Smiley Or, if you don't want to do that, I'm sure there are quilt patterns out there that would relate to a crazy quilt for t-shirts ^_^

Oh- show us a pic of the bin o' t-shirts! It'll show us where you began so that we can watch as you finish!

Goth Mummy: If your quilt is designed how I think it is... there's another lady on one of these boards, I forget which at the time, I'll have to do some searching to find her, who is also doing a hexagon quilt, so maybe if we need to, I can get you two in contact with each other to go over the process ^_^ It would be so special if you could finish what your great-grandma had started! It's a quilted through the generations quilt, hehe!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010 06:52:06 AM by tcmatteson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010 09:29:42 AM »

I am going to get planning tomorrow! I think I am going to do a crib size quilt because I already have batting that size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
karimusbunch

details, details, details. it's gonna work out.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010 05:22:19 PM »

hi there!

goth mommy, i am actually working on my first quilt, and it's a hexagon piecing thing i've just thrown together. i might be the one tcmatteson was talking about.

anyway, i found simple instructions for a hexagon quilt here: http://www.thimbleblossoms.com/Thimble_Blossoms/Hexagon_Quilt_Tutorial.html

and i found a simple hexagon template here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/almk/467715525/

this is as far as i've gotten with mine:

if i get anymore work done on it, i'll post here for ya'll to see! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyDeJa
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010 05:56:41 PM »

I am in the midst of declutter and preparing for opening up my tax services for the year so I may not get anything posted in January. Just thinking maybe I should at least do some kind of mini wall hanging quilt or something just to get my sewing machine use to working again ... lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only purpose of the day job is to buy the craft supplies!! Cheesy  Seriously, I LOVE making personalized crafts. I now have a line of hand-crafted fans and notecards using the Zentangle (R) technique. I have also become a Certified Zentangle Teacher and teach other artforms and techniques.
tcmatteson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010 08:46:26 PM »

Karimusbunch: Yep! You were the one I was thinking of! I had actually sent Goth Mummy the link that you had on the 50 projects craft-a-long... but you're more than welcome to showcase your project here! I'm very interested to see how it progresses cause it looks beautiful right now in its starting phase- and it looks like so much work! I can't wait to see it finished!

CraftyDeJa: Ooh... I hope your decluttering goes by fast and that your tax services is very successful this year! Looking forward to seeing your quilts when you get a chance to go at them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Goth Mummy

Mundane by day, innane at night....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010 02:04:23 PM »

Karismusbunch- Thanks very much for that link... its the binding of the quilt that I am stumped by, and scared to attempt! Do you stitch it to the batting/wadding and the backing fabric, then trim around the hexagons, then attach bias binding? thats all I could think of to do?
I would be very interested to see how you do yours (which is very pretty by the way).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010 02:42:51 PM »

I have decided I am going to do a rag quilt. I am doing a simple quilt that is just squares of the same size so I feel it will give it a little extra detail. I already have my material but I need to find where I put it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant Talks About Uptown
The Opposite of Me Book Trailer
Jane Feather Talks About Writing
Tom Bromley Talks About the 1980s
Nora McFarland Reveals Her Favorite Movies
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...