A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: grandma's knitting needles  (Read 631 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

francie pants
« on: April 27, 2005 04:33:59 PM »

so, my mom is in the process of clearing out my grandma's craft room.  this wonderfuly strong willed grandma of mine is slowly being overwhelmed with altziemers.  she was the craftiest chick i'd ever met.  organic gardens every summer, some hand made polyester pants suit every sunday at church.... every room of her little house held some new project whether it be dough roses, knitted baby dolls, or raggedy ann and andy's in the sewing room.  so mom has been sending me a ton of stuff.  first i got her sewing machine and yesterday came 2 huge boxes full of wacky old knitting patterns and more knitting needles and crochet hooks than i'll ever use in my life.  mom wasn't joking when she said i'd never buy another knitting needle again. 
here's a picture of just the ones i was able to fit in the two needle roll ups she also sent me.  AND the most kick ass circ needle kit.  almost every gauge needle tip and every cord length... essentialy making all my other needles pointless

and yet i STILL have a freezer bag of mismatched plastic and alluminum needles.  what should i do with them??  i already have dreams of making a shadow box with her wackadoo little gadgets and vintage tools.  i found this beautiful round wooden case holding 5 pristine #1 dpn's that have a tag saying its from milwaukee and cost 15 cents.... they lived in milwaukee when my mom was a baby.  so there's quite a few relics/gems in this box.  should i fashion them into little arbors for my potted plants?  is there some sort of crafty thing to make with old thin needles??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005 05:07:50 PM »

One of my Workbasket Magazine's from 1952 has instructions for making little potted plant decorations with mismatched needles.  Basically, it involves finding cute little figurines and gluing them to the tops of the needles...  difficult.  But I bet it would be pretty cute. 

That circ set makes me delirious with jealousy.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005 05:52:45 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
princess*of*capri
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005 05:08:46 PM »

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. But it looks like you hit a gold mine of kniting needles. I don't know of any crafty projects to display these, but it sounds like a good idea. If you do figure something out please share pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Wists bandwagon!!! http://www.wists.com/princess_of_capri
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
BBQ Baked Beans Recipe
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Tips on Making Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Donut Making at Scoop De Jour
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...