A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swiffer cover from two old dish towels (lots of pictures)  (Read 8060 times)
Tags for this thread: swiffer , recycle , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010 04:48:37 PM »

These swiffer covers are on my to do list this year.  I've just got one of the plain old original's with no squirt.  I do however have an empty spray bottle and plan on introducing it to my girls.  They're such mess makers, this will be a huge help in the kitchen.    Thanks for posting the link for the cleaner.  Absolutely brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010 08:49:09 PM »

So while I was pregnant a friend came over and decided she needed to clean my house. She came back wit her swiffer wet jet and I fell in love (funny what you'll fall for when you're prego) and had to have one. Yeah, I didn't like it when I got my own because of the pads (tampon girl myself, haha, I made a bad pun) and the streaks it left on my floor but then I found a site to make my own pads and I now I use it at least once a week, at least. I even made some for said girlfriend as a thank you. I still have the same fluid so I still get streaks and scummy looking and gives me headaches, but waste not want not, right? Once I use that up I think I'll move to the vinegar solution. So easy!

This rendition of the Swiffer pad is awesome, but it uses more fabric than I made does. Then again, these also look reversible. Mine also used lots of velcro! But it has the 2 squirters on it so I don't think your pattern would work for it. Different swiffers, different patterns, eh? Here is the link for the one I made:
http://lookmanopatterns.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-make-your-swiffer-less-evil.html
With 1yard of terry cloth and 6 yards of velcro I made 12 pads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010 08:29:46 AM »

wonderful! I love my swiffer wetjet but had the same problem with the cover I made for it. now I know what to do! Also mine was to thin but a towel or such would solve that problem!

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Leilani79
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010 09:12:07 AM »

This is such a clever idea!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living.
- Terry Pratchett
blue_concubine

One singular sensation.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010 06:49:06 PM »

This is brilliant.  Those refill pads are terribly expensive and wasteful. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The cure for boredom is curiosity.  There is no cure for curiosity"
dustyfro
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010 08:44:34 PM »

This is great!  My mom and grandma had some swiffer style mops with velcro strips for washable scrub cloths from before swiffers were hot, and when I asked my grandma how much hers was, she said it was $80!  Forget that!  I just bought a regular swiffer broom for $9 and I've been wrapping towels around it and shoving the ends into the plastic grabby bits on the top, but your solution looks a lot neater and sturdier than mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
scarlet_nights
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You laugh because Im different, I laugh because your all the same.

Eh what, no Im a f@$&ing squirel

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010 10:40:45 AM »

I wish I had found this earlier. I just broke down and bought a box of replacments the other day *GRRR*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010 08:18:50 AM »

Thank you for posting this tutorial.  I made myself a couple of covers last week and used them for the first time Friday.  They worked like a charm.  I used some microfiber cloths I had on hand.  You will see I modified the pattern a bit to make both sides look the same.  And I serged them instead of sewing and turning.  I also made the covers reversible by sewing a button on each side.  I think I will try velcro on the next ones, because it is difficult to change them out quickly using buttons -- or so it was for me, because I made them quite tight.  Thanks again for sharing!  This is a keeper tutorial!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cre8ivegenes
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010 12:23:19 PM »

Just a side note. If you are looking for a inexpensive swiffer style mop. I bought a plain one without the solution squirter for a $1.00 at the Dollar Tree. They also have them at the 99 cent only store.
I like these better because I also picked up a large spray bottle for a $1.00 as well. My kitchen is small tiled floors. So I spray vinegar solution liberally over the entire floor. Wait a few minutes for it to
soften up the hard stuck on bits if any. Then I Swiff away with my new mop and home made pads! Drop in washer or dirty laundry when done! YEA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010 12:00:41 PM »

Great tutorial. Definitely plan on making these. You craftster girls and boys are so genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Scrolling the Page and Changing View Size
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using the Zoom Tool
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Adjusting Page Size
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Fixing Dependencies Manually
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Fixing Dependencies Automatically
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...