A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swiffer cover from two old dish towels (lots of pictures)  (Read 8154 times)
Tags for this thread: swiffer , recycle , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RuneAriala
« on: January 18, 2010 04:19:59 AM »

One of my 2010 resolutions is to reuse stuff around the house, rather than go out and buy new stuff.  My MIL gave me a bunch of old dish towels she cleaned out of her kitchen after Christmas, so I've been itching to use them for something other than cleaning rags.  

From one of the featured articles, I found this pattern for sewing your own Swiffer cover: http://berlinswhimsy.typepad.com/berlins_whimsy/2009/10/swiffer-cover-sewing-pattern.html.  I had long lamented that those little swiffer diapers don't reuse easily (I know you aren't supposed to reuse them at all, but sometimes I try to stretch that a little), so what better way to start in on my new year?

I almost immediately saw my problem.  The pattern assumes you have one sort of Swiffer, but mine is the sort that shoots out fluid and has a scrubber on the side, like this:

My solution? Cut down the tab on one side to accommodate the scrubber.   I'm not sure if my scribbly numbers are legible, but pretty simply I adjusted one side by 1.5 in. (this includes a seam allowance of 1/2 in. like in the original pattern).   Note that the center, which will be against the floor, is still the same length and width.

The end result, post construction, looks like this:

Please pretend that I have some lovely buttons attached to this to finish it off.  My machine died just as I was starting my button holes, so I have yet to decide if I just want to hand sew on some velcro, or take the time to hand sew the button holes like I intended.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010 05:05:26 AM by RuneAriala » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sum1smuma
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010 05:00:15 AM »

Wow!! These are wonderful!!!
I love my swiffer wet jet but not throwing away the wipes. About a year ago I started buying cover thingies at the dollar store. But they don't always fit and are a pain to take off and put on. Your creation is an amazing solution to an ever growing problem.....garbage!
Thanks for the tute ..... I will definitely be making these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
MorningIsHere
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010 05:09:09 AM »

Wow! This just made my day. I actually bought a Swiffer yesterday, and I was thinking to myself that I would hate to buy refills for it because I'm cheap. Thanks for the tutorial, and you did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010 05:38:04 AM »

That's pretty cool!  I have one of those Swiffer mops too.  My solution was to rubberband a microfiber cloth to it, but that shifts around and sometimes blocks the sprayer.  This is way better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010 05:52:47 AM »

Excellent!  I purchased a pattern to create refills that attach with velcro.  I made several, but they have already worn out.  I love your idea, and I will try it when I make "replacement" replacements for my Swiffer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010 07:00:23 AM »

Awesome! I'm going to make some of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missjuliaj
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010 07:30:28 AM »

I recently found a Wet Jet sitting on the curb outside someone's house.  My husband pressed the button.  It worked!  The bottle was FULL!  ??  People throw out stupid things.  There was also a box of the cloths.  I love them, but have been thinking about making some of my own when they runout.

Oh, and as for regular Swiffer cloths...  Who said you can't reuse them?  I just toss mine in the laundry!  (If they get really grungy I rinse them out first.)  They come out all fluffy and ready to swiff once more!

I mean, anything can be called "disposable."  Like those Ziplock containers.  They call them "disposable" so people WILL and buy more.  But if you just wash them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010 07:57:01 AM »

missjuliaj- they don't fall apart in the wash?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkPetunias
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010 08:16:29 AM »

this is a very timely post. i love using my swiffer but the price of the pads is ridiculous. thank you for this post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010 10:24:26 AM »

I love the swiffer more now that I've learned how to refill the canister with my own detergent mixture and have washable reusable pads. It's a great idea made better by those who know how. I like your wipes better than mine, which are crocheted. Yours look easier to put on and take off. Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Southern Fried Chicken
How to make Creole Gumbo
How to make Pizza
How to make Egg Rolls
How to make Loaded Potato Soup
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...