I finally finished up my save the dates this weekend and they're ready to mail!
it was a process that began a couple months ago with silkscreening the front of postcard sized (4x6) cardstock that i cut from sheets.
My original plan was to attach a small envelope to the back of the postcard with a small note inside it. I made a sample and sent it back to myself to test how the postal service would treat it. this is what came back:
Needless to say i was pretty disappointed and didn't want cards arriving in this way. (I'd caution anyone who wants to send Save the Dates as postcards to rethink it. I'd actually asked the postmaster to hand cancel it and was told there would be a 60 cent charge PER postcard for this service, that they had to be run through the machine.)
I let a few weeks go by and this weekend dedicated myself to reworking the backs of the cards and figuring out envelopes. I'm happy to say that things worked out for the best as I'm thrilled with the final product. The backs are 2 layers - a 5 3/4 by 3 3/4 piece of fuschia paper with a laser printed 5 1/2 by 3 1/2 piece of parchment. I attached the pages with glue dots (so much less messy!)
For the envelopes I printed address labels on clear sticker paper and wrapped them around the side of the envelope so that the return address was on the back lower left of the envelope. I then found a stamp dealer in town and raided his vintage stamp collection (this took the longest!) and silkscreened 2 flowers on the back of the envelope.
Thanks for looking! It was a fantastic process... stay tuned for invites in the spring.